All-Star Is It Just Me Or Is Sportsmanship At Level 5 Getting Bad?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have a nice picture for you guys. This was taken after the first day of competition at NCA. We were losing, but these girls still made it a point to spend time together. After we lost on the second day, they spent most of the rest of the day just hanging out. Just kids...not competitors anymore. Our girls have been competing against each other since YE and Twinkles days. There's no reason they shouldn't be friends. Considering the hype around our programs, I'm proud of them...and us! It's not all bad at L5!

181915_10150092573255423_640345422_6621927_41773_n.jpg
Did your team receive a jewelry deduction for that belly button ring?

my sisters team has received a full paid bid earlier this season and ever since then they have gotten called bad names, been told that they suck and that they dont deserve it and many other harsh comments. but not only have i seen bad sportsmanship towards them but i have seen bad sportsman ship between other teams too! idk i just was wondering if anyone else has seen this??

I feel like we notice it more at the level 5 teams because it seems like the most watched and it is the "level" you want to be. I also feel like the teams itself aren't the ones that are showing the bad sportsmanship, a lot of it are the fans who aren't on the team or from the gym.

I've been free of bad cheer sportsmanship..but I will never forget going to my old HS girl's bball game and watching one of our girls take a jab to the throat from the opposing player. Said opposing players father then jeered from the stands 'That's right, so-and-so, knock her again!!' The sad thing? To this day I don't remember who won or who lost, and I don't care quite frankly. But what I WON'T forget is my shock, awe, and absolute disgust that I felt sitting there and listening to the garbage coming from the opposing parents. Telling my brother (who is friends with some of the girls), while looking him dead in the eye from the adjacent stand, that my HS team's girls were dirty, dirty players and sluts.

The thing to remember: 3 years from now in the grand scheme of things your win/loss doesn't matter. Especially to people not in the sport, or even to someone across the country. But your personal character and traits that you portray WILL follow you everywhere and won't be forgotten. Especially if they are in poor taste.

Mini cheer can be crazy...I honestly think regarding parents it is the worst division for this behavior. For most of the parents this is their first season, they have no idea how the sport works or anything about rules, the kids are all 8 and under so they are still "mommy's little baby". And if you tell a mom that her little angel is not 1st place...run....Most of the bad sportsmanship I've seen has come from this younger age group. Last year I had a mom from another gym tell my cp "Get over it, you can't be 1st all the time". The crying comes with the age group, last season cp cried the 1st few comps that they placed low in but by the end of the season she realized that sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. She actually likes losing every once in awhile because then "it makes the wins so much more exciting".
That is so rude!!! I would make sure that if I had a kid he/she would be able to win and loose and to the parent who said that ...GROW UP.

All youth sports can be crazy. It isnt any worse in cheer than in gymnastics, baseball, basketball, tennis, golf, chess, competitive croquet, or whatever.

For the record, the newest parents to cheer are 'usually' the worst. And the levels that have the highest concentrations of those tend to be younger and lower level.

my sisters team has received a full paid bid earlier this season and ever since then they have gotten called bad names, been told that they suck and that they dont deserve it and many other harsh comments. but not only have i seen bad sportsmanship towards them but i have seen bad sportsman ship between other teams too! idk i just was wondering if anyone else has seen this??

I haven't seen that, but one thing I have seen at Lev 5 (more than any other level) is less and less parent support. My daughter has been this for over 6 years and it's been a slow climb up the ladder (due to time off and moving), by the time she finally makes it to Lev 5....you can bet your sweet petutie I'll be right by her side!! I think I will have earned it just as much as she has!! (lol)

Back