All-Star Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Why would you waste parents time and money to go to a competition and mark almost the entire routine? Makes people who dont really know who they are think they dont have their routine or their squad has alot of injuries. So sad in my opinion and I would be one uphappy parent to have to sit there all day just to watch your child mark their routine.

Our coaches wanted us to mark the parts that we had issues with doing... So when we hit the skills that we threw we got more confidence for next weekend. They also did not want us going full out because we just got back from break, and they did not want any injuries. I also think that we have been signed up for this competition for a while, and they thought we would have been ready before. We didn't want to pull out because the fees were already paid.

My kid marked her routine yesterday in a competition. I never thought I would see the day. I appreciated her coaches for protecting her when she was hurt. Sadly it was the best videoo I ever got in a competition, and she wasn't tumbling! :rolleyes: But she sure can dance.

I think they should have worn shoes and dressed properly since it was a public appearance by the gym, but then again, we go to a gym where there are strict requirements on appearing in public in the uniform when they are representing the team. Just what I am used to. If they marked, it was their coaches call. And I always hear...the coaches know best.

The 2 Senior 5 teams marked their tumbling in the very beginning but did the rest of their routines and did their running tumbling, it wasn't a FULLY marked routine like you are making it sound. I like to see a full routine as well but it was the coaches call and since I am not the coach I need to support the coaches call, he obviously has his reasons.

What everyone also has to keep in mind is that competition fees were already paid for this competition, it was too late to get a refund, and up until 2 days prior to the competition, there were other level 5 teams on the schedule. Another gym pulled all of their teams completely from the competition at the last minute (hmm... sounds like a repeat of last season).

Last year the week before a comp we had a girl get kicked of our team for doing drugs in school and we didn't have time to pull up a girl from JV and have her learn the routine for that comp so we had one stunt group mark the routine (my group). It was the most embarrasing thing of my life. And I'm pretty sure we got points of because thoes stunts didn't go up. And I felt like it put so much pressure on the rest of the routine because if it didn't hit then we would have looked even worse.

Yesterday I watched a competition and so many teams were phantom stunting, AND they placed well. Between injury, and otehr team issues, I don't think there is anything wrong with it as a coach.

Actually I get vetoed a lot b/c when we do have an issue w/in a day or 2 of a competition, the head coach insists on rearaging everything and well, the kids would have performed better marking certain parts as then they would have been confident w/ 90% of material instead of almpost everyone being shifted from everything w/ groups and formations and well, that ends up a HOT MESS. AND THEN I get asked why they didn't do well. UM LETS THNK ABOUT THIS.. DUH

In this specific case, let the gym decide what is best for their team.

For the UA J5 team specifically, they had a number of new kids join the team over break and they had reworked the entire standing tumbling section in the opening and reworked many of the stunt groups just a few days ago. Since they were not competing against anyone and it was essentially an exhibition for them, the coaches had them throw tucks (instead of fulls) in the standing tumbling and they marked the stunt section because those were the parts that had JUST been reworked literally days before. They still did their running tumbling, jumps, full out pyramid, dance, etc. Their routine was not 90% marked as the original poster stated. And Prodigy did running tumbling, stunts, and pyramid as well and marked the standing tumbling and jumps.

While it's not ideal for them to go out and mark any parts of the routine, I have to say it was good for them to get out on the floor with the newly reworked routine without too much pressure. Now they can focus this week on preparing for Jamfest Indy.

I don't understand marking a majority of a routine. If they couldnt compete their lvl 5 stunts, tweak them to level 3 standards to at least give them the feel that they are competing against someone. Whether or not they had competition IMO is never an excuse to not give 110%. Not dressing the part either? I don't get it but again JMO.

I don't understand marking a majority of a routine. If they couldnt compete their lvl 5 stunts, tweak them to level 3 standards to at least give them the feel that they are competing against someone. Whether or not they had competition IMO is never an excuse to not give 110%. Not dressing the part either? I don't get it but again JMO.
Just on a side note, my 9 year old who (double teams between the J3 and J5 teams) woke up puking yesterday morning at 4am and was throwing up all morning long. There were a couple other girls on the team with the stomach flu yesterday morning as well. She still went out there and gave everything she had and gave two outstanding performances yesterday. She may have marked her stunt with the J5, but her baskets and flying in the pyramid were GORGEOUS!! I can tell you that my daughter absolutely gave 110% of what she had yesterday, stomach flu and all! I'm just thankful she made it through the day without getting sick in warm-ups or on the performance floor.

Just on a side note, my 9 year old who (double teams between the J3 and J5 teams) woke up puking yesterday morning at 4am and was throwing up all morning long. There were a couple other girls on the team with the stomach flu yesterday morning as well. She still went out there and gave everything she had and gave two outstanding performances yesterday. She may have marked her stunt with the J5, but her baskets and flying in the pyramid were GORGEOUS!! I can tell you that my daughter absolutely gave 110% of what she had yesterday, stomach flu and all! I'm just thankful she made it through the day without getting sick in warm-ups or on the performance floor.
No need to bold your statement as I AM NOT referencing your child. I am referencing the gym as a whole and again JMO.

Back