All-Star Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I had a large senior team this year, I would have them mark every skill other than stunts and maybe jumps and of course dance until finals. Normally my kids don't bust because I give then the hardest pass they can easily do. Ie land 10/10 without warming up. And considering all the teams make finals in that division, what's the pint. I seem to remember teams doing that when pairs automatically made it to finals but someone correct me if I'm wrong

Here's a video of Prodigy from yesterday! Go ahead, say all you want! Btw, the boy that competed with no shoes forgot his. Anyone who thinks that the coaches of Prodigy would tell them that wearing shoes at a competition is optional...well...I guess I'll just keep that to myself. Enjoy :)))

First of all the original post stated 50-90% so not the whole routine. Second as parents we understand that comp. schedules are made far in advance and sometimes comps are scratched or added to the schedule, but to have a parent to get up on a sunday (off day for many), drive to the city, pay for parking and pay to attend a comp. that teams are not going to perform is a total waste of times. Third if you want to mark your routine that belongs in your gym on your practice floor, not on the comp floor (any comp floor). For whatever reason this gym decided to do so, so people (I) can decide to say that they put on an inferior performance, point blank period!!!! Oh yeah JMO

not in defense of their marking every L5 routine, but i do know one lil girl on J5 who did proudly throw her whip dbl today! Guess she didn't get the message they were 'Marking it!' LOL:cheering:
yeah, i think it was the only L5 tumbling they got to see!

Are you just talking about the J5 having 1 tumbling pass because there was definitely amazing L5 passes being thrown by Prodigy?!?

I am sure if the UA parents had a problem with it then they would have said something but it isn't like they marked the entire routine just the standing tumbing and jumps. I am failing to see how this is a big deal when they weren't competeing against anyone so it was basically an exhibition.

Here's a video of Prodigy from yesterday! Go ahead, say all you want! Btw, the boy that competed with no shoes forgot his. Anyone who thinks that the coaches of Prodigy would tell them that wearing shoes at a competition is optional...well...I guess I'll just keep that to myself. Enjoy :)))

after seeing this I can say there was some exaggeration to the extent of uniforms not matching && marking of the routine. The uniforms I only noticed the boys shoes and that wasn't until the dance.. but at least he worked it out. && 50-90% marked?... when it was only jumps & standing tumbling... Come on!!

UA- dont take it personally.. as you can see whenever you do one thing out of the norm even at a little itty bitty comp the cheer world will know about it.. Good luck to you for the rest of the year :)

Are you just talking about the J5 having 1 tumbling pass because there was definitely amazing L5 passes being thrown by Prodigy?!?

I am sure if the UA parents had a problem with it then they would have said something but it isn't like they marked the entire routine just the standing tumbing and jumps. I am failing to see how this is a big deal when they weren't competeing against anyone so it was basically an exhibition.
Thank you! Those are my thoughts as well. As one of those UA parents, I was OK with it as long as it was a positive experience for my kids. And it was.

And just for the record, the J5 team actually did do all their running tumbling (not just the one pass). The standing tumbling wasn't completely marked, they just threw tucks instead of fulls. Yes, the stunt sequence was marked, but the jumps, baskets, pyramid, and dance were all done full out. I'm still trying to figure out where the 90% came from in the "50%-90%" stated by the original poster. :confused:

Ok, so I realize all competitions aren't equal. I realize just before a major competition (like Jamfest Nationals) you may not want to risk injury to athletes etc. I realize at some smaller competitions you may be the ONLY level five team in your division, heck the only level 5 team in the competition.

However, is it ever ok for an entire team to mark 50-90 percent of an entire routine in a competition? I saw that today, it was utterly unbelievable. Everyone just sat there in shock wondering was something wrong. Like why are some of them missing shoes. Some of them in mix-match uniforms. Was there some serious issue that preventing them from performing? IJS

I stand by my original post. There were 3 level 5 teams from same gym and some marked more than others. I'm used to parts of routines being marked even in large "major" competitions. I understand the reasons for marking and sure, everyones not "privy" to coaches decisions. However, appearances were that this competition didn't mean anything to you. As some said, we paid and didn't want to throw away the entry fee, so "we put it on the floor", "got a look at choreo" etc., basically a choice was made to practice at a competition. Granted some of the local competitions right before nationals are just that, practice. While in the stands, watching a parent from UA sitting near us, try to explain to an elderly couple (I assume grandparents) that they weren't doing the "real" performance and then shake their heads, not looking too happy.
Also, while local competitions may not be that important to all of us. For some smaller less known gyms it is, it's like their Nationals. Those performances also gave the appearance of thumbing noses at "their" competition and our sport. Of course, you're not under any obligation to entertain the masses. UA has awesome athletes and a very well known gym that MANY athletes and smaller gyms look up to and aspire to. Yesterday their coaches chose to forget that.

The tumbling pass I refered to was one of the first passes thrown. Clearly J5 went before Prodigy and was not the only tumbling done that day. It was brought up/big deal because parents and athletes work hard to achieve skills. The reason we have competitions it to perform these skills with the team and potentially be rewarded for them. There is no reward when you have no One else in your division, but that doesn't mean it's ok to not perform at 110%!

I get that they had new people, and new routine elements, but I'm with the people that say in the long run it would have Ben better left at home. Too much money goes into attending a competition. Besides most EP's would understand and work something out if you only pulling a few teams and still bringing 10+. JMO

The tumbling pass I refered to was one of the first passes thrown. Clearly J5 went before Prodigy and was not the only tumbling done that day. It was brought up/big deal because parents and athletes work hard to achieve skills. The reason we have competitions it to perform these skills with the team and potentially be rewarded for them. There is no reward when you have no One else in your division, but that doesn't mean it's ok to not perform at 110%!

But it was made to sound like there was 1 little girl who threw her pass and that was it yet it was confirmed by multiple people that it wasn't the case at all. People are just really confused where these posts are coming from when there are other reports saying that wasn't how it was at all.

People from the gym are saying which parts were marked and none of them sound close to 50-90% of the routine which is coming off as rather confusing to some people.

Again if the parents at UA thought that their money was being wasted I can guarantee that they would have spoken up. I don't see this as any different then a team going out and performing only half their routine and then cutting the music, which I have seen done before. It was like an exhibition, if they were going against someone else I could see it as a problem, but they weren't.

Thank you! Those are my thoughts as well. As one of those UA parents, I was OK with it as long as it was a positive experience for my kids. And it was.

And just for the record, the J5 team actually did do all their running tumbling (not just the one pass). The standing tumbling wasn't completely marked, they just threw tucks instead of fulls. Yes, the stunt sequence was marked, but the jumps, baskets, pyramid, and dance were all done full out. I'm still trying to figure out where the 90% came from in the "50%-90%" stated by the original poster. :confused:
I didn't say there was only 1 pass on J5. I said one lil girl proudly threw her pass! Guess she didn't get memo to mark it. You guys are looking for stuff to argue about now. Geez!!
We get it - coaches decided to mark parts of routine for whatever reason. ... SMH, now they'll be ready for Jamfest.

I stand by my original post. There were 3 level 5 teams from same gym and some marked more than others. I'm used to parts of routines being marked even in large "major" competitions. I understand the reasons for marking and sure, everyones not "privy" to coaches decisions. However, appearances were that this competition didn't mean anything to you. As some said, we paid and didn't want to throw away the entry fee, so "we put it on the floor", "got a look at choreo" etc., basically a choice was made to practice at a competition. Granted some of the local competitions right before nationals are just that, practice. While in the stands, watching a parent from UA sitting near us, try to explain to an elderly couple (I assume grandparents) that they weren't doing the "real" performance and then shake their heads, not looking too happy.
Also, while local competitions may not be that important to all of us. For some smaller less known gyms it is, it's like their Nationals. Those performances also gave the appearance of thumbing noses at "their" competition and our sport. Of course, you're not under any obligation to entertain the masses. UA has awesome athletes and a very well known gym that MANY athletes and smaller gyms look up to and aspire to. Yesterday their coaches chose to forget that.
No one was "thumbing their noses" at anyone. Our coaches made a decision regarding what was best for OUR teams. That's it! That's their job. It's not their job to worry about the other teams and programs there and what they think. I'm sorry if people were disappointed, but quite frankly, I'm thankful that my daughters' coaches had THEIR best interests in mind, not anyone elses. As much as my daughters love putting on a good show, they were actually a little relieved yesterday with the decisions that were made.

No one was "thumbing their noses" at anyone. Our coaches made a decision regarding what was best for OUR teams. That's it! That's their job. It's not their job to worry about the other teams and programs there and what they think. I'm sorry if people were disappointed, but quite frankly, I'm thankful that my daughters' coaches had THEIR best interests in mind, not anyone elses. As much as my daughters love putting on a good show, they were actually a little relieved yesterday with the decisions that were made.
I clearly said "appearances" and also again stand by MY original post. I didn't intend nor did I bash the gym/coach and most certainly not athletes. I questioned why because "I" had never seen that done to that level before. Your coaches should always decide and act in the best interest of their athletes. On the other hand you should not get offended by a thread that questions some decisions.

You are taking this UA marking thing way too personal. It had nothing to do with you, or any other gym out there. They didn't forget anything, except it seems, informing you.

You are taking this UA marking thing way too personal. It had nothing to do with you, or any other gym out there. They didn't forget anything, except it seems, informing you.
No, the people getting offended and replying offensively are taking it way too personally. I posed a question and started a thread because it was a HOT topic by MOST people yesterday at and after the competition. By many different gyms. So I thought this is the place to bring up that question.

No, the people getting offended and replying offensively are taking it way too personally. I posed a question and started a thread because it was a HOT topic by MOST people yesterday at and after the competition. By many different gyms. So I thought this is the place to bring up that question. Originally no gym or city was named.
Why didn't anyone ask someone from UA? They were one of the many gyms there. From your post title, they marked their entire routine, you could've just walked out on the mat and asked while they were just standing around marking it.

Back