All-Star Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I clearly said "appearances" and also again stand by MY original post. I didn't intend nor did I bash the gym/coach and most certainly not athletes. I questioned why because "I" had never seen that done to that level before. Your coaches should always decide and act in the best interest of their athletes. On the other hand you should not get offended by a thread that questions some decisions.
Oh, I'm not offended. However, I did feel the need to clarify a few facts and state my own opinions. I'm entitled to that. Aren't I?

It's great if the parents and gym members are ok with that performance, but to me, it really leaves me shaking my head. Again, as a parent, I would be upset if my child were on that team.

Why didn't anyone ask someone from UA? They were one of the many gyms there. From your post title, they marked their entire routine, you could've just walked out on the mat and asked while they were just standing around marking it.

Maybe she should've during the 50-90% of them just standing there, just her act of walking out probably would have been a better show.

Why didn't anyone ask someone from UA? They were one of the many gyms there. From your post title, they marked their entire routine, you could've just walked out on the mat and asked while they were just standing around marking it.
Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

The title is a legitimate question posed because of what I saw yesterday. The title is an attention getter and not specific to anyone as was the original post itself, as no gym was named. That being said, UA was identified later in thread and all hell has broken loose because you all have chosen to take it there. I still wanted an answer to the question, it was answered and commented on, on the 1st page of thread by other readers. I was done! Your comment about walking on floor is ridiculous!

Maybe she should've during the 50-90% of them just standing there, just her act of walking out probably would have been a better show.
And snarky little comments like that are absolutely unnecessary!

We get it, you didn't like that they marked the routines. You don't have to. The original poster now has her question answered as to why they marked.

I think an admin needs to lock this thread before it starts getting nasty!

And of course my comment is as ridiculous as the comment that I quoted.

I'm going with what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Or maybe making a mountain out of a molehill.

Anybody else got any other cliches to trot out?

I stand by my original post. There were 3 level 5 teams from same gym and some marked more than others. I'm used to parts of routines being marked even in large "major" competitions. I understand the reasons for marking and sure, everyones not "privy" to coaches decisions. However, appearances were that this competition didn't mean anything to you. As some said, we paid and didn't want to throw away the entry fee, so "we put it on the floor", "got a look at choreo" etc., basically a choice was made to practice at a competition. Granted some of the local competitions right before nationals are just that, practice. While in the stands, watching a parent from UA sitting near us, try to explain to an elderly couple (I assume grandparents) that they weren't doing the "real" performance and then shake their heads, not looking too happy.
Also, while local competitions may not be that important to all of us. For some smaller less known gyms it is, it's like their Nationals. Those performances also gave the appearance of thumbing noses at "their" competition and our sport. Of course, you're not under any obligation to entertain the masses. UA has awesome athletes and a very well known gym that MANY athletes and smaller gyms look up to and aspire to. Yesterday their coaches chose to forget that.

I don't see anything wrong with you starting this thread - before I saw the video I thought it was a valid question, but after seeing the video things most definitely got exaggerated by you and some other posters. But regarding the above, I'm sorry, but as a coach I would be far more concerned about the safety and well being of my athletes than whether the spectators are "getting their money's worth" and I highly doubt they were thumbing their noses at anyone. Each gym has the right to put on the mat what they choose. They paid their registration fees just like everyone else. I am sure we will see these teams perform full out many times this season!

And snarky little comments like that are absolutely unnecessary!

We get it, you didn't like that they marked the routines. You don't have to. The original poster now has her question answered as to why they marked.

I think an admin needs to lock this thread before it starts getting nasty!

Well my ridiculous comment was to show how ridiculous the comment I quoted was. There is/was no reason for the thread to get nasty. Original poster asked a question and it was answered by some. I'm assuming it was a general question until someone (lord forbid) said that it was UA now everybody glittered spankies are in a bunch. Who cares if UA, ICE, GT or TG for that matter marks, question asked and answered, done. GEEEEEZ!!!!!

Well my ridiculous comment was to show how ridiculous the comment I quoted was. There is/was no reason for the thread to get nasty. Original poster asked a question and it was answered by some. I'm assuming it was a general question until someone (lord forbid) said that it was UA now everybody glittered spankies are in a bunch. Who cares if UA, ICE, GT or TG for that matter marks, question asked and answered, done. GEEEEEZ!!!!!
Now THIS I have to agree with.

And of course my comment is as ridiculous as the comment that I quoted.
Why so ridiculous? If it was such a hot topic amongst all the other teams there, not one person thought to ask someone on UA at the competition? I wouldn't hestitate to ask someone who knows while I was there, not just make my own conclusions.

Why so ridiculous? If it was such a hot topic amongst all the other teams there, not one person thought to ask someone on UA at the competition? I wouldn't hestitate to ask someone who knows while I was there, not just make my own conclusions.

There were no conclusions, hence the thread. IT WAS AN INTERESTING TOPIC TO ME! Get it. Believe me if I had wanted to ask a question yesterday, I would have. I have the NO problem with that. After thinking about it, I thought it would be a good TOPIC for DISCUSSION. As the other poster stated no matter who it was. A D-I-S-C-U-S-S-I-O-N! :deadhorse:

Just the part about walking on the floor asking the athletes.

Is It Ok To Mark An Entire Routine In Competition?

The title is a legitimate question posed because of what I saw yesterday. The title is an attention getter and not specific to anyone as was the original post itself, as no gym was named. That being said, UA was identified later in thread and all hell has broken loose because you all have chosen to take it there. I still wanted an answer to the question, it was answered and commented on, on the 1st page of thread by other readers. I was done! Your comment about walking on floor is ridiculous!

There is nothing wrong with you starting this thread it is a legit question, the problem is that UA did not mark their entire routine and from the video didn't mark 50-90% of it either. I know that it wasn't you who mentioned it being UA, but you did agree with the person and say that it was. Your post about what you saw was a bit exaggerated unless you blinked through the part that they performed and that is the only issue people have had. Actually most have commented that in GENERAL it would be silly to mark the ENTIRE routine. You asked for discussion and that is what you are getting.

Back