All-Star Is School Cheerleading A Sport? I Know That All Star Definitly Is

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

in West Virginia, high school cheering is legally classified as a sport..
and it's as hard, if not harder than allstar ..because you're doing basically all the same stunts and tumbling on a basketball floor. I agree that sideline cheering isn't a sport, but if you are in a competition, then yes.

in West Virginia, high school cheering is legally classified as a sport..
and it's as hard, if not harder than allstar ..because you're doing basically all the same stunts and tumbling on a basketball floor. I agree that sideline cheering isn't a sport, but if you are in a competition, then yes.
i dont think that school cheerleading could ever be harder than all star, just my opinion

http://b.static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/yg/r/_g3DSzyCT-K.swf?v=1561744656811&ev=0
It's debatable haha I could never imagine doing all this on a hardwood floor. I personally have known some all star cheerleaders that have doubles on spring and can barely do a full on dead mat floor, never mind WOOD floor.
true but like high school may have routines and all but they dont have that much adrenalin as all star cheerleaders do yaknowww? like yeah, there are some really good teams out there that are high school but idk and yeah i would never be able to do stuff on hardwood but when schools do stuff on hardwood, they dont really do anything hard on it, they always do there stuff on the mats and just dance and stunt usually and cheer and do maybee back tucks on the hard wood

I think that High School Cheerleading (sidelines) is not a sport what so ever. I do both all star and high school and I personally think that High School is more like a hobby of mine. My highschool team stinks, alot, so i find it very easy and relaxing for me, as well as it is fun.
I personally think that High School Competiton and All Star are both sports. I think that even though High School competition is very ameture, it is still a sport because they are competiting against other teams to win. The same goes for All Star. That is the deffinition of a sport right?
Side line cheering how ever does not fit that definition, you personally arent trying to win, you are just cheering on the players. Even if the team does level 5 skills, but the dont compete, i think that they are not a sports team. They are just good cheerleaders.
Alot of the kid in my school say that competition is a sport, but high school is not a sport. These are kids who basically nothing about cheerleading. So the answer is very obvious.

I hope this helps!

would you still consider cheerleading a sport if the high school doesn't stunt. In the state of ohio, no high school is allowed to stunt but we still compete in the non-mount division. My highschool has won UCA two times in this division and i would consider what we do a sport even though we don't stunt.

are allstar teams usually better? in most cases, yes. but you have to consider that:
-we practice year round versus only 3-4 months
-they compete on dead mats and hard floor, versus spring
-we only have to worry about routines, while they also have to practice stuff for games
-w have a lot more resourses (equiptment, etc)
-they have 3 months to get the highest skills, while we have levels that lead to progression
Considering all this, and the caliber of many HS teams, i'd definetly say it's a sport. Some may be not as elite or good, but it's like that for any sport

I say if you actually have a routine and you compete with your school, it is a sport, but just sideline cheering is not. Dont get mad at me that's just my honest opinion. My high school doesn't compete so I don't know how hard it is to compete with school. But any type of Cheerleading with tumbling, stunting, or jumping requires ALOT of athleticism.

sideline is really differnt too. but still, they practice, they should stunt, tumble, do motions and yell. i mean again it depends on the area but i have never done sideline and never will, but my school NO sideline or compeitive is deffs not a sport. some other schools, maybe?

If you are going to consider levels 1-6 in all star a sport then high school teams who compete are just as juch a sport. They may not be a full level 5 team but if they have a mixture of level 1-5 skills in that routine then it is just as hard as a level 1 routine that is considered a sport in all star.

Threads like this sorta make me scratch my head and wonder if people realize it takes more then skill to make something a legit sport which is why cheer is having such a hard time being recognized as one. If you follow the NCATA and STUNT situation you would see that it isn't all about skill in being an offical sport it is about the inner workings as well. In places like Georgia, West Virginia, and South Carolina where high school cheer is an offical sport they have the skill and the organization to run smoothly as a legit sport within the state.

I got varsity letters for football cheerleading. Winter cheerleading in Maine is classified as a sport by the Maine Principal's Association, and winter season is the only season in the state with competitions. In some schools, the winter team cheers for both basketball and competitions. Other schools have separate squads for hockey, basketball, and competition (girls overlap on squads though and nobody exclusively competes).
During fall season we had to perform a halftime routine at each game. This routine had the same elements as a competition routine--tumbling (limited to tucks as the field is slippery), stunts, pyramid, etc. Does it matter that it wasn't competed?

Back