All-Star Is Stepping Really Standing Tumbleing?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yea- even with a "step" or two, its not a run... (some people are pretty aggressive steppers though, haha). I agree with aforementioned comments for the most part- it definitely helps with timing and I think it does give you the momentum to land stills a bit more cleanly.

I don't know a single top level 5 team that doesn't step for their 2 to full/double series... if you do--> post it.

If you take a step, it's no longer standing tumbling. Go talk to my 9 year old Level 10 gymnasts, they do standing fulls with out a step-on balance beam.

When I was learning to tumble the coach would always get onto us girls who would take a step before throwing anything. He eventually gave up complaining though because we threw the skills better with the step then we did without it.

When a team doesn't take a step it actually looks funny to me because I am use to seeing teams use it.

If you take a step, it's no longer standing tumbling. Go talk to my 9 year old Level 10 gymnasts, they do standing fulls with out a step-on balance beam.
yeah but i bet they drop their chest basically to their knees in order to do it... cheerleaders are expected to throw a jump before a standing full once they get it, and we all know there is no way thats happening if you drop your chest, you lose the connection and its basically two separate skills

the step in standing tumbling has actually helped all my gymnast now cheerleaders, it has lengthened their BHS and sped them up, i now have double the amount of standing through to fulls since season began and i introduced the step into my gym

taught correctly, timing and power are the biggest gains i have found

no offense at all...but gymnastics and cheer are two very different animals. They follow a very different set of rules for running and standing tumbling. If there is NO FORWARD momentum before the trick is thrown it is standing tumbling.

Another comparison that the set and technique on beam and on floor is slightly different. If your daughter competes standing fulls at lvl 10 at age 9 she should probably be an elite. Regardless, another factor people tend to forget is that in gymnastics you do not wear shoes, which add weight and hinder your ability to utilize some muscles in your feet, the feel is a tad different.

As someone stated you will rarely if ever see a gymnast connect a jump to a standing full. There are many skills that are more common and unique to one sport but not the other.

Another comparison that the set and technique on beam and on floor is slightly different. If your daughter competes standing fulls at lvl 10 at age 9 she should probably be an elite. Regardless, another factor people tend to forget is that in gymnastics you do not wear shoes, which add weight and hinder your ability to utilize some muscles in your feet, the feel is a tad different.

As someone stated you will rarely if ever see a gymnast connect a jump to a standing full. There are many skills that are more common and unique to one sport but not the other.

I've been coaching Level 9-elite gymnasts for 17 years and cheerleading for 15 years. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. My gymnasts and cheerleaders have textbook form. No one takes steps. Gymnasts don't connect jumps to tumbling, because the COP doesn't reward them for doing so. They are rewarded for gymn-acro connection (which is connecting a leap to an acrobatic skill), so you will often see that on floor and beam.

A lot of people think its "cheating" to take a step but there is also a little finesse required to actually get power from it. A lot of times tumbling in cheerleading isnt even given the proper recognition or reward so its hard to justify spending as much time practicing a skill to the extent that a gymnast does. Also gymnasts rarely ever throw one backhandspring (From standing) into any skill...apples to oranges.

They also rarely standing full.

Oops, replied to wrong person. --Edit

I have problems believing that your 9 year old gymnasts do standing fulls.
Standing fulls can only really be competed for points on Beam, and when Shawn Johnson did a standing full on beam people freaked.

And that was in the *Olympics*

I have problems believing that your 9 year old gymnasts do standing fulls.
Standing fulls can only really be competed for points on Beam, and when Shawn Johnson did a standing full on beam people freaked.

And that was in the *Olympics*

They are training young..my dear friend's daughter is working towards them and she is 8 yrs old. She is a member of the TOPS team working toward the Hope's Elite Program which I think starts at 10 years olds Standing fulls on beam are seen more and more now just like seeing 7/8 yr olds throw doubles in cheer

I've been coaching Level 9-elite gymnasts for 17 years and cheerleading for 15 years. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. My gymnasts and cheerleaders have textbook form. No one takes steps. Gymnasts don't connect jumps to tumbling, because the COP doesn't reward them for doing so. They are rewarded for gymn-acro connection (which is connecting a leap to an acrobatic skill), so you will often see that on floor and beam.

So you only have "textbook form" if you don't take steps????? is that your opinion or is that fact????

My opinion is that taking steps does not change the technique of your backhand spring/tuck/standing full since before the actual skill is performed your feet come together. everyone teaches the skill without a step and then...for the purposes of choreography...most (not all) add the step in.

This isn't a battle of gymnastics vs cheerleading ... as I have argued before gymnastics coaches do not hold the monopoly on "good" technique. The step is a choreography issue...if you like it use it...if you don't then don't but your way is not superior to my way just because you are a "gymnastics" coach

Yes stepping is standing tumbling (may not be categorized as it in the gymnastics world, but technically it is) since your feet come together before you push off the ground.
I'm an exercise science major and am studying kinesiology and biomechanics right now so when I saw this question I actually wanted to find an answer..so I did research! My mom would be so proud :)

According to the article I found, the difference between a "good" BHS vs a "poor" one all comes down to the angles of the joints. You can read the article if you want specific joints (I must warn that it compares gymnasts to cheerleaders, and they picked the most unexperienced cheerleaders).
So, yes stepping may help increase momentum but ONLY if the technique (joint angles) and the amount of power are correct. If a kid is "step-scooching" they probably are doing a "step-stop" instead...but even if they did, if they have the right technique it wont matter if they stop. If you can learn to step and transfer that momentum throughout the body properly..then congrats you've become a standing tumbling hoss :)

Hope this answers some questions, or sparked new ones! sorry for the nerd-ness
here's the article: http://w4.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/3237/3039

we actually had someone come in and work with us, and it is proven that the step doesnt make a difference. in fact, he told us it actually makes you lose momentum, because most of the time when kids step, they do the "step scooch" thing, so they end up technically stopping after the step anyway. in other words? it's all mental.

It's not mental. You just have to know how to use the step. For me, stepping def gave me momentum. Stepping always kept me from undercutting on standing fulls, even though I've never had a consistent standing full lol. Stepping helped me out a lot on the hard floor! I agree, some people stop after stepping, but thats just some.

If you're not running before tumbling, then it's standing tumbling. I think it's fair. It only annoys me when people take ginormous lunge looking hop steps & it's like 3 of them. It's the equivalent of running backwards.. I think 1 or 2 normal steps look fine.

Back