All-Star Is This What The Future Looks Like?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No…... 1/1 refers to a salto that rotates one (1) time…1./1 is used and read as a fraction. 1/1=1. If an athlete performs a double twisting double back, 2/1 plus 720 degrees or will call it a full in-full out. Gymnastics always make the assumption the salto starts on the feet and returns to the feet…it is never clarified, but always assumed this way. Degrees of turn (like a ballet turn on one foot) and degrees of twist are referred to by a number with a degree symbol. Single salto and double salto (2 rotations) never need to be clarified as the athlete will always land back on their feet.

That's silly. No one writes as an improper fraction.

PS - I wondered if you read the title and thought it was talking about you... made me chuckle.

No…... 1/1 refers to a salto that rotates one (1) time…1./1 is used and read as a fraction. 1/1=1. If an athlete performs a double twisting double back, 2/1 plus 720 degrees or will call it a full in-full out. Gymnastics always make the assumption the salto starts on the feet and returns to the feet…it is never clarified, but always assumed this way. Degrees of turn (like a ballet turn on one foot) and degrees of twist are referred to by a number with a degree symbol. Single salto and double salto (2 rotations) never need to be clarified as the athlete will always land back on their feet.

Now that you mention it I've heard it both ways. I've seen it more commonly used in regards to twisting though. I've heard/seen expressions like "double salto with a 2/1 twist", obviously meaning double twisting double flip. In power tumbling it's commonly used to describe how many twists in each flip also, so it could be used in that way. Calling something a "1/1 straight" or a "full full straight" in power tumbling is a full in each of the 2 flips, though it may be just used in that instance because of laziness.

Seems to me that FIG has the upper hand, now that Varsity can't change their rules without permission.

So you all think that the international model will not effect the domestic model? Interesting, not sure I go for that.

Yes, I wanted it to be a sport. I am very pleased with the NCATA and USAG model.

The reason behind that is the international gymnastics community saw a potential future threat from the growing sport of competitive cheer.

Actually FIG thinks the skill set of cheerleading: acrobatics and tumbling came from gymnastics.

Hey Todd, aren't you on the board of the 501c6 USA Cheer?

Let me help clarify the latest "Hot Topic". Today I have received a number of emails concerning the ICU - Sport Accord - FIG agreement and what it means for the All Star community.

I have to say "Stop the Insanity!" (The insanity I am referring to is the long drawn out conspiracy theories in the emails I was sent.)
Here is how the agreement affects the All Star community: “IT DOESN'T!" There is no connection. However, in my opinion, Cheerleading being accepted and recognized by the Sport Accord is great for everyone (All Star, STUNT, High School, College) in the Cheer Community. We have bigger issues to address, let's not create a new one that doesn't exist.

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules, Safety and Judging

A conspiracy theory explains an event as being the result of an alleged plot by a covert group or organization or, more broadly, the idea that important political, social or economic events are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

This agreement was made 7 weeks ago.

Why is it Insanity for us to discuss and care about an issue that effects all of the athletes, coaches, ect?

ICU = international governing body = USA Cheer = domestic governing body = USASF all star organization under USA Cheer

How is this unrelated? I am really confused now.

What would be the point of the STUNT format if it can not be done at the international level at worlds or the Olympics?

How will it make sense for the TOP of competition to be different with less skills? 30 seconds of cheers means only 2 minutes of skills?

So wouldn't 2 1/2 minutes of skills be seen as a higher standard than only 2 minutes?

Let me help clarify the latest "Hot Topic". Today I have received a number of emails concerning the ICU - Sport Accord - FIG agreement and what it means for the All Star community.

I have to say "Stop the Insanity!" (The insanity I am referring to is the long drawn out conspiracy theories in the emails I was sent.)
Here is how the agreement affects the All Star community: “IT DOESN'T!" There is no connection. However, in my opinion, Cheerleading being accepted and recognized by the Sport Accord is great for everyone (All Star, STUNT, High School, College) in the Cheer Community. We have bigger issues to address, let's not create a new one that doesn't exist.

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules, Safety and Judging
Amen, Amen, Amen!!! Of the people in the industry that I feel are in the know I think Les is there. It affects very little, if anything!!!

A conspiracy theory explains an event as being the result of an alleged plot by a covert group or organization or, more broadly, the idea that important political, social or economic events are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

This agreement was made 7 weeks ago.

Why is it Insanity for us to discuss and care about an issue that effects all of the athletes, coaches, ect?

ICU = international governing body = USA Cheer = domestic governing body = USASF all star organization under USA Cheer

How is this unrelated? I am really confused now.

What would be the point of the STUNT format if it can not be done at the international level at worlds or the Olympics?

How will it make sense for the TOP of competition to be different with less skills? 30 seconds of cheers means only 2 minutes of skills?

So wouldn't 2 1/2 minutes of skills be seen as a higher standard than only 2 minutes?
Sounds like a college cheerleading format, which has NO affect on all-stars other than SKILLS. Do I think it will be a positive for programs? Absolutely! Just one more avenue to continue on!

Because Stunt can be done at the college level to count for Title IX, which means cheerleaders will be recognized as athletes and receive all of the support that goes along with that standing. Because it's clear that ICU, which is basically college cheer as we know it now, is not going to qualify for Title IX. Two very different governing bodies who want different things.

It's not like the 2:30 routine is even a major part of STUNT anyway. It's basically an afterthought.

cheersafety I won't draw a 100% conclusion, but you seem to be intentionally misreading things in order to create more of a mess. Les did not come on here to say that we should not concern ourselves with this, he came on here to point out what I tried to point out on the first page; this agreement has NOTHING to do with allstar cheerleading as it stands right now. Your previous point of it possibly eventually effecting the "domestic model" as you said is valid, but like he said, right now there's no reason for allstar athletes to get their panties in a bunch like this directly effects them, unless they are involved with ICU. I think if the FIG and Sport Accord have enough satisfaction with this current proposal that it won't effect allstar cheer. I believe that if the format of the ICU Worlds competition satisfies the governing bodies they will stick with that as the official standard for cheer as a sport and not the current USASF Worlds competition. Make sense?

Because Stunt can be done at the college level to count for Title IX, which means cheerleaders will be recognized as athletes and receive all of the support that goes along with that standing. Because it's clear that ICU, which is basically college cheer as we know it now, is not going to qualify for Title IX. Two very different governing bodies who want different things.

It's not like the 2:30 routine is even a major part of STUNT anyway. It's basically an afterthought.
Did one of my papers on that a few semesters ago (Cheer a sport/title IX issues)

Sorry I am tardy to the party! I was out of town all weekend and sick all of today. Anyway, I have several MAJOR questions...

Can anyone tell me the benefit of this? What good will come of this? Why does ANYONE have to control? Why is there a race to get control of the international sport of cheer? Can anyone just answer WHY?

Everyone has commented on all the other posts here but NO ONE has defended or answered why this is good?

Lets look at how this story unfolds. I see a governing body who is owned and controlled by a for profit vendor. The governing body goes against protocol and posts these outlandish rules (right around the time this FIG and ICU are under negotiations for this SportsAccord thing). THEN there is a push for this new sport STUNT to become main stream.

Am I missing anything?

Without anyone coming out and saying "ATTENTION ALL GYM OWNERS: We are trying to secure the sport of Stunt to position cheerleading in the hands of the people who know it and run it to save gym owners businesses, etc" We get nothing but an announcement saying here's a new sport.

To all you stunt fans out there, I don't know how things roll in your neck of the woods, but a sport of this nature could NOT ALLOW teams to train at gyms (Bye Bye, Money!), could phase out choreography or what you can charge for choreography (Bye Bye, Money!), could all together rule out creative choreography and go compulsory (Bye Bye, Money!) and could not allow dual participation during season (Bye Bye, Money!)

Gyms already have to compete with high school teams for kids in all star. I can't tell you how many kids we lost in Illinois to High School cheer, and now there would be one more thing to keep them from doing All Star Cheer. Weather this is an intentional side effect or not it is a HUGE possibility.

I know I can't be the I the only one who see's it this way? Can anyone put in writing these things would never happen and that myself and other colleagues I have talked to about this are crazy? If so, I think myself, along with other gym owners and coaches could rest easy!

I know it sounds cynical but it just feels like I am being told not to do anything until it is too late for me to do anything. Because by that time every piece of the puzzle will be in place and all available options will be drastically reduced. Great for a monopoly; not great for an informed public to actually have input before they choose where to compete and in what format.

Back