All-Star Is Varsity Serious?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@tumbleyoda I love hearing all of the ideas and rants on FB only because it brings me back to my corporate days but, I can almost always predict why something was done or the direction something is going based on three things: Law, Money, and Third Party relationships. The analogy our CEO and CFO used to always use, "We may be the vessel but, we still have to have fuel, permission and good relationships to enter those waters." Your frustration is the frustration of all large corporate employees, it rarely has to do with common sense and research but, almost always has to do with why legally you can't, the costs, or you need someone else's help and they don't need yours. If there are "nameless" small gyms putting Varsity's hands to the fire, I guarantee it is because they legally can and are protected somehow, otherwise, that flea would have been smashed a long time ago.

@catlady I agree with most of what you said in your last post. Except I would change the order to Money, Third Party then Law in this particular case. But that analysis is correct.

When we silence ideas, rants and opinions we are in trouble. The difference of opinion is not nameless small gyms putting anyone's hands to the fire but rather small gyms being blamed as for reasons crazy changes are made without research. Frustrations are with rule changes without due notice or a number of other things. And truthfully some changes that have been made started with a rant or idea that didn't seem like common sense at the time.

It is not that they can't do it, don't have the money, can't make money or are prevented. It is transparency and wrapped up in that is proper communication to those they are asking for money at every turn to support what they are doing. They want support, tell us why and prove it.

Since I only teach tumbling and gymnastics my frustrations are way way less than many coaches in the industry. I care way more about athletes going to college than to Worlds or Summit. But I have watched it since 2004 and the core issue hasn't changed. Most of what was declared in the past to be rants and conspiracies (ironically usually by people somehow connected to USASF/Varsity) ended up being 100 percent spot on.

Ugh. I hate when they cut out running tumbling. They did that in my favorite routine (NLMS 2011) and those kids had majority RO tucks and RO BHS layouts (and 1 full) that year. Amazing. Only reason I can see it is because someone posted the full routine on YouTube ("illegally" filmed, of course).

Now that I think of it, this will give parents a greater incentive to film their kids' teams on the low. 'Why pay money to see what I could have filmed live, or watch it later with no sound/parts cut out?'

The Disney Nazis let you video now.

I stumbled across the "no sound" pic the other day when I went to watch videos out of boredom and was definitely bummed about it. Before I had gone through and read this thread I honestly thought the reasoning was to try and get rid of "copying" lol. My sister competed on our high schools hip hop dance team which is usually always in the top 3 at UDA. When we got to worlds this year for her allstar dance team we quickly figured out a team she was competing against had copied HUGE parts (move, tricks, music, etc.) from her routine as well as other front runner teams at UDA. So in that regard, its nice that there isn't sound. (hope that little tangent made sense!)
On the other hand I guess I'll have one less thing to distract me from studying! ;)

Even on the "royalty free" music there appears to be stipulations of usage. In the fine print it states it is for personal use only, no duplicating, no altering, etc. For royalty free music it listed "Performing Rights", I copied what it stated below. Is there anyone in the industry that can clue us in on how this works? Do the music mixers pay the Mechanical royalty and the event planner the Performing Rights royalty? I found on Performing rights something that states the performer gets 9.1 cent per minute a song is played so, does that mean every comp, every song in the mix and every hit on YouTube the event planner or person that posted would technically have to pay out the Performing Rights fee?

PERFORMING RIGHTS
All Prolific Arts music content is registered with a Performing Rights Association. This Music License Agreement does not include clearance for Performing Rights. Performing Rights represent the entitlement of music composers and publishers to benefit from the public performance of their compositions. Performing Rights societies like ASCAP and BMI in the United States, as well as many more around the world, have been established to collect and fairly distribute Performing Rights fees to music composers and publishers. If you use any musical compositions contained within any of the Prolific Arts websites, package products, electronic storage or the like, for broadcast productions that are eligible for documentation by Performing Rights associations, said music use should be reported to the applicable Performing Rights Society and to Prolific Arts, Inc. You agree to promptly furnish Prolific Arts with a complete and accurate music cue sheet for any production that is broadcast on television, radio, cable, satellite or distributed theatrically. Such cue sheet shall correctly identify the copyright owner, publisher, song title, and length of use for all Music licensed from Prolific Arts, Inc. Performing Rights clearance royalties are paid by broadcasters and are not the responsibility of producers, editors or typical users of Production Music. In the rare occasion where a broadcaster requires music content to be ʻpre-clearedʼ for performance, a Direct Performance license may be obtained by contacting the Prolific Arts offices. Blank Cue Sheets forms are available on all Prolific Arts websites.

I remember a little while back a couple music producers taking down their mixes from the internet and there was talk about some legal issues they were facing. Does anyone have any idea what the kind of licensing required costs? I know back when that happened an email was shared where a woman mentioned a "blanket license" to use any music licensed under that company, but I have a feeling something like that is QUITE expensive.

Back