All-Star It Is That Time Of Year...tryouts!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is my first time being on the other end of tryouts as s coach. This is also the first year we have required at least a BHS for varsity. We have 2 seniors that do not have the tumbling and have made no effort to get it. They are going g to be replaced by younger girls that have the skills. I am hoping against hope that we don’t have major fallout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i told all my kids towards the end of the season if you come to tryouts with less skills than you had last year at tryouts, do not expect great things from the tryout results.

I have not commented much on tryouts for my (HS Varsity) team this year as I've really switched things up and it has ruffled feathers.

I can tell you that people start to freak out when you go from a traditional tryout model (with clinics leading up to it) to more of an "evaluation throughout your clinic week and open gyms and results on Saturday" model.

What they don't realize is that I've/we've ALWAYS been watching during the week, just that now, what I/we see affects whether you'll make it.

You can't give half an effort all week, then wow me on Saturday anymore. You also cannot chuck your tuck that day, get lucky, and get full points for tumbling. It requires sustained effort now and that makes athletes and parents uncomfortable. But it gives us all a better picture of a candidates:

*true abilities.
*true coachability (for the incoming girls I have never coached.)
*ability to be a team player.

On a sidenote: coupled with changes in the process, at least 80% of this year's JV is doing Varsity evals and trying to move up. Background: JV and Varsity are by skill and not grade. They also have separate eval weeks. JV is sideline only with one comp and exhibitions so it is a true JV (meant for those who maybe are gaining experience.) It is also tumbling optional. A third of them come onto the team with a BHS but there are many girls who come onto JV in 9th with no tumbling and work super hard over the next 2 years to prep for Varsity. This year, there are some hard working girls going into 10th and 11th who are HUNGRY to move up and have been taking privates and classes to get their tuck or series running to tuck. I've seen a few of them at JV BB and they're solid. Solid enough to knock off a few of my veterans. Esp. a few who have actually LOST skills since our last comp. Ex: I have one coming back from an injury who has had an off/on mental block since her return, and is now not tumbling at all. This is going to be interesting.
There are a lot of private school programs in our area going to this model. They can build whereas we are groundbound so it makes sense for them. It is also the first year many of them are allowing underclassmen to try out for varsity. I am excited to see it as it will only make those teams more competitive, but I am expecting some disappointed girls.

i told all my kids towards the end of the season if you come to tryouts with less skills than you had last year at tryouts, do not expect great things from the tryout results.
Yep, these girls had a year and made no effort to get the skill. I feel like it might be different if they were putting in some effort, but they haven't.

This is the first season in a long time that I have literally zero anxiety going into it as a parent.
Quick background: My kids tag teamed out of doing All Star this season because my youngest refused to give up anything school related. When she said "of well if NCA is on the same weekend as a Winterguard comp I'll just the coaches I can't do it (meaning NCA)" we had a come to Jesus meeting. At the same time my oldest (Phoebe) had a meltdown because SHE wanted to go back to cheer and I had no idea. So here we are.
Phoebe is solidly senior age being 16 as of the cutoff date and she has solid level 2 skills. There will be little surprise where she ends up unless there is no Senior 2 and she ends up on the SrCoed3 team. Our little gym is Mini/youth/junior heavy. Out of the 6 teams they had this year only 2 were senior age (SrCoed3 and Sr4).

This is the first season in a long time that I have literally zero anxiety going into it as a parent.
Quick background: My kids tag teamed out of doing All Star this season because my youngest refused to give up anything school related. When she said "of well if NCA is on the same weekend as a Winterguard comp I'll just the coaches I can't do it (meaning NCA)" we had a come to Jesus meeting. At the same time my oldest (Phoebe) had a meltdown because SHE wanted to go back to cheer and I had no idea. So here we are.
Phoebe is solidly senior age being 16 as of the cutoff date and she has solid level 2 skills. There will be little surprise where she ends up unless there is no Senior 2 and she ends up on the SrCoed3 team. Our little gym is Mini/youth/junior heavy. Out of the 6 teams they had this year only 2 were senior age (SrCoed3 and Sr4).
HOLD THE PHONE. Phoebe is 16? Seriously, wasn't she just a little IBK in your avatar? Where did time go?

Phoebe is 16? That's not possible haha.

Oh my god!! 16? Wasn’t she on minis like yesterday? I love watching fierceboard kids growing up

Melissa Stark this post is almost a year old. And why did you rate me as gossip? It is my personal experience. And by the other ratings, apparently others agree.

Melissa Stark this post is almost a year old. And why did you rate me as gossip? It is my personal experience. And by the other ratings, apparently others agree.
I'd guess about 98% of negative ratings on here are an accident, this one probably was too.

I’m still waiting on an international open team that’ll take me with my no tumbling skills but I could stunt level 5. Oh and I work from 1:30pm to 9:30pm. That’s not too hard to ask right? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back