All-Star Jamfest And Usasf Split?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes, they sold out by choice....the choice to be bought out, or shut down! You may not have insider information, but you don't speak for all of us.

I really have no inside information on anything and certainly nothing Varsity. And I agree with this post strongly in that I only speak for myself, and that is enough to keep my busy cleaning up messes.

30nk5yd.jpg

True as that may be they extremely disorganized from each other and little to no inter communication.

I think people would be surprised at how unsteered the ship can be. In fact the lack of organization and structure is what is causing so many gaps that people fill in the holes with Jeff Webb or what not.

You would need a Varsity employee to confirm this, but that doesn't even remotely look like the actual structure of Varsity. Varsity has divisions that aren't on there. Some of the letters there don't represent actual Varsity divisions. (Not the least of which is USASF.) The lines there are seemingly put there at random and don't represent the structure, even among the divisions they got right.

This was a graphic from that Penn & Teller show. While I (used to) love the show, some of their sources were pretty suspect, unfortunately. Now, when I watch that show, I can't help but wonder about the facts they present on other subjects, which kind of ruins it for me.

Varsity and USASF are not above criticism by any means. However, USASF is not owned by Varsity - Varsity does not control USASF.

30nk5yd.jpg

You would need a Varsity employee to confirm this, but that doesn't even remotely look like the actual structure of Varsity. Varsity has divisions that aren't on there. Some of the letters there don't represent actual Varsity divisions. (Not the least of which is USASF.) The lines there are seemingly put there at random and don't represent the structure, even among the divisions they got right.

This was a graphic from that Penn & Teller show. While I (used to) love the show, some of their sources were pretty suspect, unfortunately. Now, when I watch that show, I can't help but wonder about the facts they present on other subjects, which kind of ruins it for me.

Varsity and USASF are not above criticism by any means. However, USASF is not owned by Varsity - Varsity does not control USASF.

I took the graphic to mean Varsity is at the center of it all. And I would say that their reach extends to just about all areas of this industry, whether they own it (yet) or not.

I took the graphic to mean Varsity is at the center of it all. And I would say that their reach extends to just about all areas of this industry, whether they own it (yet) or not.

So this is gonna be kinda a mean post, but it proves the point.

We can take the USASF for example. If an organization can't get junior worlds bids right, release scoresheets in a timely matter, throws 4.2 out there at the last minute, can't organize safety rules to be properly enforced everywhere or hopefully get this athlete registration system off teh ground, how big of an evil organization can they be?

USA Cheer can throw together stunt in a minute and its wildly terrible and unnorganized and just not good.

NCA can run its cheer competitions vastly different than UCA, or Allstar Challenge. All Varsity companies. And give bids out differently and make mistakes (that the board catches) and generally feel like a schizophrenic thing with so many heads and new directions and I never have any clue exactly what they are doing.

We can try to not get classified as a sport yet still seek to be in the Olympics one day.

If you think all that is run by a well organized evil machine, you gotta be kidding me.

The USASF, for all its flaws, does represent the potential for something great. It provides a central system for everything, Rules and Worlds (and one day scoresheet). If Jamfest were to leave, which is entirely possible (I think they represent 30% of the market?) they would end up doing the exact same things the USASF is doing and standardizing everything. Unless the USASF is doing an absolutely terrible job in Jamfest's opinion, I cant see why going out and doing it on your own would be that smart.

In the end what happens on the cheer mat, for every competition, will be the same. It will be the non cheer parts of the events that will separate them.

I think people need to realize that the USASF is not that old of organization. Change takes time and I know that each time they require all these changes such as athlete membership, coaches credentialing, gym certification, and any other gym requirements take time to implement. On the outside, people just say get it done and its "easy" but its not. The USASF is a small office that was given by Varsity and is NOT owned or ran by Varsity at all. I just wish the USASF had more reps across the country to assist gyms in the certificaton, rules and training seminars.

Regarding Jamfest breaking away, I know I've been around Jamfest people who feel USASF events (especially worlds) should be ran better. Jamfest has alot to offer and USASF should use its member companies in a better fashion.

If this split happens it has been coming for some time. I thought that they were gonna play nice after it was first quietly mentioned a few years ago that they may pull away. But now who knows?

Does't Varsity also own a few cheer gyms? If so, then you could make a point for conflict of interest. I owned a small business for a while and sold it by choice, no one forced me to do so. While I understand the idea that Varsity is creeping toward a monopoly they are still a long ways from it.

Premier gyms fall under Varsity or atleast they did not sure if they still do.

How long has the USASF been around? If they are that small of an organization then why does it take this long to get things done? In my opinion they spend too much time talking about the changes that are needed and trying to please all the gyms, small and large, instead of doing the things that need to be done to bring more legitamacy to this sport. In short it appears there are too many people in the middle slowing the progress.

How long has the USASF been around? If they are that small of an organization then why does it take this long to get things done? In my opinion they spend too much time talking about the changes that are needed and trying to please all the gyms, small and large, instead of doing the things that need to be done to bring more legitamacy to this sport. In short it appears there are too many people in the middle slowing the progress.

USASF was formed in 2003. They held the first Cheerleading Worlds competition in 2004.

Two years ago, people were ranting that USASF was making too many changes; not enough input; it was being called a dictatorship because changes could happen so rapidly.

So, two years ago, a procedure was implemented to allow for input, recommendations, voting, review, vetting and implementation to then last for two years. It was by no means perfect, but (for the most part) the cheerleading world has been able to read, review and plan from a single set of rules. We're now wrapping up the next two year cycle and there will be change that everyone will work with for another two years.

It isn't the size of USASF staff that is an issue, it's the large number of stakeholders (gyms. coaches, event producers, athletes, parents) that is the driving force.

700 members voted for rules changes. I would guess that is 30% or less of the actual all star population that benefits from the things USASF is trying to accomplish. I see problems with the system as it is now, so I offer to help. Besides complaining about it, what are you doing?

If you want to help see it improve, BECOME A MEMBER. Don't wait for the change to happen, become a part of helping it along. The extra staff, certifications, clinics, judging education, athlete ID system, etc all take a budget that is currently not there.

Is $15 worth making your sport better?

i dont love jamfest comps. if they dont offer worlds bids anymore, attendance will probably drop dramatically.

USASF was formed in 2003. They held the first Cheerleading Worlds competition in 2004.

Two years ago, people were ranting that USASF was making too many changes; not enough input; it was being called a dictatorship because changes could happen so rapidly.

So, two years ago, a procedure was implemented to allow for input, recommendations, voting, review, vetting and implementation to then last for two years. It was by no means perfect, but (for the most part) the cheerleading world has been able to read, review and plan from a single set of rules. We're now wrapping up the next two year cycle and there will be change that everyone will work with for another two years.

It isn't the size of USASF staff that is an issue, it's the large number of stakeholders (gyms. coaches, event producers, athletes, parents) that is the driving force.

I completely understand that! One thing I have learned in business is it's nearly impossible to please everyone so you have to slowly make the changes that are best for all involved. With so many sides to TRY and keep happy this is a tall task in this industry.

Regarding Jamfest breaking away, I know I've been around Jamfest people who feel USASF events (especially worlds) should be ran better. Jamfest has alot to offer and USASF should use its member companies in a better fashion.

Varsity isn't perfect by any means, but if jamfest thinks they could do better then I would like to use the saying "pot meet kettle." Out of all the jamfest brand events I've been to more than most were poorly ran and executed - a few our teams and gym refuse to return to. The most recent one received a not so great review from me in their last post comp survey. If they think they could break away and do better maybe they should self evaluate before the try to do so.

Latest posts

Back