All-Star Junior Restricted?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

imo junior aged atheletes can be put on either youth restricted or senior restricted.... there isn't enough to field 3 restricted divisions. Most junior level 5 atheletes that have doubles are on worlds teams anyway....As we sing goodbye to junior 5 now that they do not go to worlds :(
nananana nananana hey hey hey goooodbyeeeeeee

Most junior aged athletes that have the skills to be on a Senior 5 team (restricted or not) will be bumped up if that gym has a Senior 5 team available for them. If not they will probably look for another gym that has a Senior 5 team available that they can be on. Plus you can put them on Senior 4.2 and get them stunting at an extended level so it makes sense that more gyms would scatter them between these options. With so few true Junior 5 teams now it probably doesn't make much sense to gym owners and parents to put kids in a division where they can work on their skills but never really compete against anybody except once or twice a year. Unless they have it in their budgets to travel to all of the really big comps each year.

I agree with tumbleyoda for the most part but I believe that most coaches would rather have those kids on a senior restricted because it's an easier way to bridge the gap of the senior and junior aged kids with the minimum level 5 skills but even though so5,senior restricted, and the fact that they can't compete at worlds has basically almost killed off j5 junior restricted will come in a matter of time especially sense they already have youth restricted and senior restricted

I understand why there isn't one but there aren't ANY other divisions in youth and senior that AREN'T in Junior. Also, do you ( @tumbleyoda & @EpicCoach ) think this will be a division IF there becomes an BOTTOM to the age grid?

Thanks Andre. Well if they make a bottom for all age groups and it does slim down the chance for junior teams to have more opportunity for more athletes,then they would probably make the chances of junior restricted higher because that would make an easier team to put together rather than j5

What about all the 10 and 11 year olds with doubles and standing fulls? Wouldn't adding a restricted Junior division hurt their chances of having any competition?

What about all the 10 and 11 year olds with doubles and standing fulls? Wouldn't adding a restricted Junior division hurt their chances of having any competition?
My point isn't to limit competition, I'm just confused on why there is a Youth Restricted AND a Senior Restricted. There has been a lot of talk about creating a bottom age per div, IF that happens I strongly believe that there should be a Jr. Restricted division. There are 10/11 yr olds with doubles/standing fulls but that number isn't huge, however I do think there are many with just fulls who won't have a competitive place to go if they can no longer go into the Sr. Restricted Div.

Junior restricted would have been perfect for our small gym J5 team last season. We were great at stunting and had tons of fulls but only 1 double. We competed J5 and not J4 so our kids could do the skills they had worked so hard for. Toward the end of the season we decided to go SO5 and added 2 girls from the senior 3 team and it worked out so much better for the athletes since most of them they were competing at their skill level finally. But it was still tough to watch our 9-14 year olds compete against teams that were much older.

My point isn't to limit competition, I'm just confused on why there is a Youth Restricted AND a Senior Restricted. There has been a lot of talk about creating a bottom age per div, IF that happens I strongly believe that there should be a Jr. Restricted division. There are 10/11 yr olds with doubles/standing fulls but that number isn't huge, however I do think there are many with just fulls who won't have a competitive place to go if they can no longer go into the Sr. Restricted Div.
I think a bottom age would be great (I think Sr Restricted has hurt the Jr 5 division) but as a parent of a 10 year old with a double I would hate to see even less competition in their Junior 5 division. As it is they'll compete against maybe 1 or 2 teams all season. If a restricted Junior came into play they would probably either see no competition or be forced to not compete the skills they've worked so hard for and go restricted with the rest. .....so hopefully this won't happen for a couple of years ;)

Junior restricted would have been perfect for our small gym J5 team last season. We were great at stunting and had tons of fulls but only 1 double. We competed J5 and not J4 so our kids could do the skills they had worked so hard for. Toward the end of the season we decided to go SO5 and added 2 girls from the senior 3 team and it worked out so much better for the athletes since most of them they were competing at their skill level finally. But it was still tough to watch our 9-14 year olds compete against teams that were much older.
Just out of curiosity did you decide to go SO5 because you were going up against Jr 5 teams with a lot more tumbling?

Most of the J5 teams we went against did have more doubles and combo passes. Her coach said that she felt they should have been an open team early on in the season but was afraid to upset the parents by in her words "down grading" the team. So after some of the parents asked her why we didn't go open, she finally got the courage to do it.
Just out of curiosity did you decide to go SO5 because you were going up against Jr 5 teams with a lot more tumbling?

I understand why there isn't one but there aren't ANY other divisions in youth and senior that AREN'T in Junior. Also, do you ( @tumbleyoda & @EpicCoach ) think this will be a division IF there becomes an BOTTOM to the age grid?

IMO if consistency and progression is the aim for the entire industry, then it only makes sense to have a Junior restricted since there is currently a Youth and Senior restricted.

I understand the parents and athletes complaint of having "less teams to compete against" and "so what if you don't win you wont get better unless you compete against the best and at least we have someone to say we beat even if it wasn't even close mindset." We have to remember that people/gyms that want to avoid competition will always find a way to do that. So if they dont want their Junior 5 team with 1 double and 4 fulls to compete against teams that have sound established true Junior 5 teams then they will either drop down to 4, or go to 4.2, or Restricted 5. Or they will lose those Junior 5 athletes to another gym and it then becomes harder for them to field a team that is competitive in that division. It is just very hard these days to "sell" a parent and athlete to stay on a team or in a program where they can not throw their higher skills when they have other options available.

Now will it happen? Honestly I don't know.

Back