Just Moved...missing Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 24, 2016
looking for some more options here...
I just PCSd to SC from AZ. I was in cheer in HS and had level 4 skills, but that was 7 years ago. I was working on my level 2 when I was stationed in Arizona in hopes of gaining my skills back and maybe even level 5 skills. However, since I've been "back at it", I have realized how amazing and awesome cheer makes me feel. I miss it so much! I am going to Rockstar to work on level 2 and do some privates to refresh on stunting and what not. Now, be nice here please...what are the odds of getting up to lvl 5 and making on an open team? I know that I won't have many options to be on an allstar team as I am over 18. I just miss cheer so much and really want to be a part of it again! I really am looking for answers to be in the cheer family again. (Thanks Cheer Dad for the response in the other Newbies thread)

I think realistically, an athlete starting from low level skills will need at least 2 years to move from 2 to 5. That's the very least. More realistically, 3 to 4 years for comfortable skills progression. I started at 20 with nothing and I like to think I moved quickly. It took me about 2 1/2 years to throw my first full by myself and consistently. Another year to get some of the combos and a two to full, and I've been making my double full better for the last year, but it's still a work in progress.

Really though it depends on the level 5 team you want to join. If you're interested in going to world's and placing top 3, that's not really a realistic goal, for obvious reasons. If you're trying to be on a level 5 team, I've known of level 5 teams with a handful of fulls. It's all about what you're looking for.

I think realistically, an athlete starting from low level skills will need at least 2 years to move from 2 to 5. That's the very least. More realistically, 3 to 4 years for comfortable skills progression. I started at 20 with nothing and I like to think I moved quickly. It took me about 2 1/2 years to throw my first full by myself and consistently. Another year to get some of the combos and a two to full, and I've been making my double full better for the last year, but it's still a work in progress.

Really though it depends on the level 5 team you want to join. If you're interested in going to world's and placing top 3, that's not really a realistic goal, for obvious reasons. If you're trying to be on a level 5 team, I've known of level 5 teams with a handful of fulls. It's all about what you're looking for.

I was always told from peers that anyone on a level 5 team HAD to have a full! Thanks so much for the response. Now to find a gym...

I was always told from peers that anyone on a level 5 team HAD to have a full! Thanks so much for the response. Now to find a gym...
If you're looking to be on a competitive team than yes. But there are definitely open 5 teams out there with people without fulls. If getting level 5 tumbling is a struggle, Open 4 is another thing to think about. There aren't a ton of teams out there, but the division is growing every year and I love being on an Open 4 team!

If you're looking to be on a competitive team than yes. But there are definitely open 5 teams out there with people without fulls. If getting level 5 tumbling is a struggle, Open 4 is another thing to think about. There aren't a ton of teams out there, but the division is growing every year and I love being on an Open 4 team!

Do you know of any on the top of your head?? I will so put in for orders to a duty station near one! :p
Right now I'm in the Carolinas, so definitely tons to choose from, but Google search hasn't been the best tool and I can't seem to find a board that talks about which gyms have open teams.

Do you know of any on the top of your head?? I will so put in for orders to a duty station near one! :p
Right now I'm in the Carolinas, so definitely tons to choose from, but Google search hasn't been the best tool and I can't seem to find a board that talks about which gyms have open teams.
I am at Cheer Athletics in Plano, TX. I don't know of any specifically in the Carolinas but other Open 4 teams that I can think of are California Allstars, Top Gun in Miami, Cheer Central Suns in Colorado. I know there are several more, but not sure which gyms have teams this season. I'm not familiar with your area, but the only Open 5 teams I can think of are the more competitive ones like Rockstar and Cheer Extreme.

I can't help with your area but I'm in a similar situation to you - I aged out at level 3, stopped cheering after high school, and picked back up this summer. I found out about what gyms have open teams through their facebook pages mostly. I'd definitely recommend open 4 if you can find it (I'm currently still trying to find something like that for myself!).

Another option to possibly consider is seeing if the more competitive open teams near you have open gyms? I've been going to a gym that has a coed 6 team. Their team does open workouts in the summer, it could be a good alternative if you don't find a team that fits your skills. The gym I went to were super nice and brought that cheer family vibe back, even though I'm nowhere near good enough for their team it was still nice to do.

Back