All-Star Just Read The Link Given For Icc/ice....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 27, 2011
How can coaches get away with so many allegations and be charged with so many situations and still own a gym and coach for so long. There are so many people in the cheer world that are good people with good morals, I wish their was more of a checks and balance system for owners, coaches and gyms.

i agree, it was pretty scary to read all of that info. it's a shame someone didn't come forward sooner so there wouldn't have been other vicitms. there are bad seeds everywhere though, can't finger point at a cheer gym.

That link was disgusting. He deserves to be castrated for what he did to all of those girls. I agree there needs to be more accountability and mandatory background checks for USASF member gyms. Parents shouldn't have to worry about sexual predators spotting and stretching their daughters.

Just to be clear, the links provided in that other thread were from things that happened within the gym a few years ago. This series of events was not directly related to what happened when ICC was bought out by ICE.

I am not sure you can legally make a blacklist. IANAL, but I don't believe you can make a list of accusations, only POSSIBLY of crimes you are convicted of. Then the sex offender list would take care of the rest (all gym owners should be doing a background check and checking the sex offender list). IF nothing else the USASF could mandate no one on the sex offender list be allowed to be a USASF certified coach... but the law part gets in the way. @cheersafety would probably know more than me.

I do know, as a card carrying member of the ACLU, you have to be careful what lists you make. It is very easy to accuse someone (a pissed off parent or child) so to make said blacklist which would ruin a coaches career if they were not even responsible. The smartest thing to do as a gym owner is do a background check, call former gyms and get candid opinions, and last dont EVER let there be JUST a coach and a minor in the gym at the same time.

USAG has a Do Not Hire list for these types of things. Once you're on it, it's for life. It would be nice to have one of these for cheer. Our gym does very thorough background checks but having that list would prevent the sort of situation Rudags was describing....which happens in lots of places, not just Chicago.

(Edited to remove quote.)

I agree that I've seen/heard of a lot of this in the Chicago area. It's definitely not at all the gyms, but there are a good handful of programs that I beg family friends to keep their kids away from because of these reasons. I've seen coaches get fired from gyms for inappropriate relations/activities with the kids they coach, only to get scooped up by some other gym right away. I wish that it would go public for this reason- to keep these people from getting rehired somewhere else.

USAG has a Do Not Hire list for these types of things. Once you're on it, it's for life. It would be nice to have one of these for cheer. Our gym does very thorough background checks but having that list would prevent the sort of situation Rudags was describing....which happens in lots of places, not just Chicago.

Background checks wouldn't necessarily be sufficient in this case though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the situation that Rudags described above, it doesn't sound like this coach making sending the innappropriate texts ever had criminal charges filed against him. If there are no criminal charges, and he was just fired and moved to another program, a background check isn't going to show anything.
And, @mollymags why isn't this being made public? If you know of specific situations with specific gyms in the area or know of other individuals that do, don't we have an obligation, both as guardians to minor children and as responsible consumers, to warn one another?

I would like to see a list of some sort, particularly if there is concrete evidence EVEN if it's not something going to trial: coaches drinking/doing drugs with athletes, inappropriate relations, etc. I don't know the hiring process for coaches for every gym, but I imagine it's really easy to fudge references/say you're 'new' and just keep starting all over.

However, I know the other side. One of my old elementary school teachers was put on trial for sexual misconduct with 3 of his students. This man was absolutely WONDERFUL, a great teacher, and influenced me for the better. He let us stay in class to do extra work and was NEVER inappropriate, and I couldn't imagine him ever doing anything like that. Come to find out, the 3 girls who accused him did so because he SEPARATED them in class due to them talking too much and being disruptive. :mad: Words could not express how utterly furious I was. Three petty 8 year old girls ruined a man's life and damaged a career he loved over something so stupid. I'd hate to see that happen to someone due to a child/parent's anger. Or a coach who is fired for a petty reason (disagreement with former gym over safety issues, how they handle certain situations, etc) to be blacklisted and never be able to undo it.

I think a new wiki list would be great! And I am speaking only about convicted offenders not 'storys or i've heards' . I do think that owners of gyms sometimes turn the other way cause that said coach can make a difference, it's pretty selfish.

I agree no one should be 'blacklisted' or punished because of allegations. Maybe in addition to background checks, the USASF should require member gyms to report any accusations of misconduct? Then the accused will be investigated properly and if the allegations are true they will be prosecuted and have a criminal record. Won't be able to pass a background check anymore. Thus ending the cycle.

As someone that worked in that gym, I can honestly say they have an awesome staff now and that the owner runs that facility very professionally. I had the great pleasure of working for ICE (not ICC or Illinois Cheer) and when we acquired that location I was given the honor of moving to it. They have a wonderful group of kids and supportive parents. They have been through a lot and great consideration to that is given by the current owner to make sure that the conduct that plagued that program in the past does not pop up again. I had great years at ICE and wish them all the best. They were very supportive of me as I made the transition to my new coaching opportunity and I miss everyone at that gym a lot. Chicago cheerleading has had a lot of people that do not understand the great responsibility that goes along with working with young people. I have been very disappointed in some of the things I witnessed and heard about while in that area. The kids and families were wonderful and made me feel very welcome. I am glad they have a program now that will offer them a safe and productive atmosphere.

Oh I am not questioning the awesomeness of your gym, I just feel horrible for any child or person that is treated with disrespect and molested.

Oh I am not questioning the awesomeness of your gym, I just feel horrible for any child or person that is treated with disrespect and molested.

It's my former gym, but I agree that the stories are awful. I just wanted to put out there that there is a happy ending for the saga of that gym and that there is no association with the past and current programs.

Back