All-Star Just Read The Link Given For Icc/ice....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree no one should be 'blacklisted' or punished because of allegations. Maybe in addition to background checks, the USASF should require member gyms to report any accusations of misconduct? Then the accused will be investigated properly and if the allegations are true they will be prosecuted and have a criminal record. Won't be able to pass a background check anymore. Thus ending the cycle.

Here's the thing though... In Illinois, gym owners, staff, etc. ARE required to report any accusations of misconduct, at least in cases of abuse/neglect. DCFS (Department of Children & Family Services) in Illinois has "mandated reporter" laws and included in the list of mandated reporters in the DCFS regulations are "recreational program or facility personnel." I don't know about the laws in other states, but in Illinois, where this specific scenario played out, there are laws in place that are supposed to protect minor children from this type of abuse.

It's my former gym, but I agree that the stories are awful. I just wanted to put out there that there is a happy ending for the saga of that gym and that there is no association with the past and current programs.

Where are you coaching now Derek? You were one of my CPs favorites at Woodward this summer.;)

(Edited to remove quote.)

i agree, if they are bad enough to do it they definitely deserve to be called out for it! i don't think it would be illegal, just of course you would want to make sure you were correct before destroying a coach's name. (as you obviously would already know:) ) what are the gym owners doing during this? are they naive or do they just not care enough to do something about it? or are they part of the problem?

I have a few confusions about coaches jumping from gym to gym and getting fired. 1. Why would a gym not call past references? 2. If past references were not given, why would you think the coach is qualified to work with your teams?

A lot of companies (in general, I can't speak for the cheer world) don't give references any mother other than yes, he/she did work there those dates and yes, he/she did make that much money at the time. They're worried about being sued for slander if they say anything negative about why he/she left the program. Especially if it's just allegations, the gym might not be comfortable bringing it up if it wasn't actually true (and could then be called slander).

In many states it is not legal to volunteer information, you can only answer questions that are asked as well. I find in this industry that many gyms aren't great at working together also. I think more transparency in cheer in general is a good thing.

all this legal stuff..? :confused: i just don't understand how people can sue for some of the things they can sue for. it makes no sense to me.

As a parent, I could not IMAGINE not being present for private lessons. I don't think that I've ever seen ONE that didn't have a parent upstairs.

I still get emails from my CPs old gym, and they just recently sent one saying that all private lessons are now closed - no spectators whatsover. If she were still a member there, she would no longer be taking privates.

As a parent, I could not IMAGINE not being present for private lessons. I don't think that I've ever seen ONE that didn't have a parent upstairs.

when my cp was 5 she took a gymnastics class. the gym closest to our house had the young children in a room with no windows and that was there they would practice & parents weren't allowed in the room. so, i went to the farthest gymnastics place where i could see what my child was doing at all times.

I'm always there for privates, but a lot of kids who take an early lesson before practice just get dropped off. There are always a ton of people though around.

To clarify, the majority of the time by CP took her privates at her old gym, she was the first for the day and the only one there besides the coach.

Latest posts

Back