High School Jv Vs. Varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Always tryout for the highest team, even if you don't think you have the skills for it! (sounds like you do, though :)) I almost didn't put a girl on JV comp (soccer cheer is below it at my school) because she didn't put it down on her sheet. When I asked her about, she said she didn't think she would make it so she didn't tryout for it! I got her to change her sheet and now she's on the team!

Why not just put down Varsity? Your going to regret not trying for varsity, if you hate it on JV. It sounds like you have the skills, and if you show that your confident, you cant go wrong. Goodluck!

coming from someone who has doesnt have the oppertunity to make var until her junior year( stupid rule at my school), by all means, go for it! You will definitely regret it if you dont. I'd honestly give anything to be on var right now, but unfortunately since im going to only be a sophomore next year i cant. :/ just some things for u to think about:
1. Have other people your age tried out and made it?
2. Are you more likely to get along with the girls on varsity?
3. would YOU rather be on var or jv??? b/c other than the coaches, YOU are the only one who can decide:)

This was my fresshmen year of high school, and I absolutly loved being on varsity! it was truly a great expierence, you can meet new people, meet some older kids who can help yah around school, and really just get involved! you should def go out for varisty! espically since you have some good skills!

My daughter just made Varsity as a freshman. It can and does happen!
Can I ask what she threw? I'm nervous about throwing a running tuck on the court and was going to resort to three or four running handsprings. I'm afraid I won't make it if I don't throw my ROBHS tuck. I'm planning on doing my standing tuck, though, however I'm unsure If it will be enough. I know they're looking for flyers and half of the squad with standing tucks so...idk.
I'm really scared they're going to overlook me because I'm a Freshman, no matter how good I am. They didn't take any Freshman last year...but they were all bases and they didn't have any more flyers left to throw.... (Sorry I'm rambling!)

Any Advice you can give me?

Can I ask what she threw? I'm nervous about throwing a running tuck on the court and was going to resort to three or four running handsprings. I'm afraid I won't make it if I don't throw my ROBHS tuck. I'm planning on doing my standing tuck, though, however I'm unsure If it will be enough. I know they're looking for flyers and half of the squad with standing tucks so...idk.
I'm really scared they're going to overlook me because I'm a Freshman, no matter how good I am. They didn't take any Freshman last year...but they were all bases and they didn't have any more flyers left to throw.... (Sorry I'm rambling!)

Any Advice you can give me?
Throw the standing back tuck. That is hard and many people don't have it, so it's your stand out move. :)
Be confident. Smile big. Be loud and strong. Find your signature thing. Sounds silly, but daughter rocks the big bow. So she wore a different big bow each day in the school colors so she stood out amongst the others.
Each school has their own rules about Freshman and varsity. Many schools don't allow it no matter how good you are, but trust me, you won't be overlooked. Even if you make JV, their eyes will be on you. Be proud of whichever team you make, show them you are a leader and if they ever need a replacement on Varsity you are more than willing to step up ;)...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Do what you are confident with. That being said, I'd at least attempt to throw the standing tuck and possibly the ROBHS tuck on the wood before the actual tryouts if those skills are solid on flat cheer mats(do you guys have a clinic before that you can practice or try it?). Tumbling on the wood honestly isnt different that tumbling on flat mats imo(its just all mental), so if you have it on there then just do what you know how to do and don't freak out or anything about it. Tell yourself that you can do it, and get it through mentally that opening up or stopping in the middle of tumbling is not an option, no matter if you feel scared the first time (everyone does! but then after that first time they get over it), and if anything focus on your technique even better (snap those BHS, set for those tucks, pull those toes over fast) so that you KNOW you'll do the skill pretty and land it great! Be confident in your abilities and if the skills feel good then go for it at tryouts. If you aren't feelin it that day, then no worries: throw that strong BHS pass and just try your best in every aspect of tryouts! If you make Varsity, awesome! If not, then they'll put you on JV and you have 3 more years to be on Varsity, so relax, its not the end of the world! Everything happens for a reason, so if you try your hardest and give it your all, then there are no regrets :)
Good Luck!

Throw the standing back tuck. That is hard and many people don't have it, so it's your stand out move. :)
Be confident. Smile big. Be loud and strong. Find your signature thing. Sounds silly, but daughter rocks the big bow. So she wore a different big bow each day in the school colors so she stood out amongst the others.
Each school has their own rules about Freshman and varsity. Many schools don't allow it no matter how good you are, but trust me, you won't be overlooked. Even if you make JV, their eyes will be on you. Be proud of whichever team you make, show them you are a leader and if they ever need a replacement on Varsity you are more than willing to step up ;)...

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank You :) I get the Video tutorial for all the things I'll need for tryouts tomorrow. I'm so excited! Thanks for the support :)

I've been practicing the DVD, the dance is CRAZY hard. haha :) Tryouts are June 9th and 10th and I'm CRAZY excited. Thank you for asking :)

Hey, (for any one who was interested...haha) Tryouts were today and I didn't make Varsity. They only took two freshman, and I won't say why they because its kind of contraversial reasons. I did my best, threw my standing tuck and my ROHBHS tuck, had a pretty good tryout (messed up the words in the cheer, but other wise, good)...so yeah. Dissapointing, but I just felt bad for the girl who was on JV last year and the only one not to get moved up to Varsity.

they won't overlook you just because your a freshman. go for varsity! the worst thing that happens is you don't make it and you go to jv!

Back