Layout Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 24224

I have a solid round off tuck, round off BHS tuck and a standing tuck but I am scared to throw my layout, I can do it on tumble trak but idk how to do it on the floor. Any advise other than just go for it?

Get a spot first and foremost! They can show you what it's supposed to feel like to do a correct layout on the floor. (Not too much spotting though...you don't want to become dependent on it!) The rod floor is the next "on your own" step, so try to get it on there if your gym has one. After that, try tumbling from the spring floor into the pit if your gym is set up that way. That way if you fall, freak out, land funny, etc, you won't get hurt, mat burned or bruised. It's definitely a confidence builder because if you can land it perfect in the pit, it's essentially the same thing on the floor, just without the squishy landing. :)

I worked on layouts forever and have had every issue with them you can think of. But I perfected them and now I have my full! Here are some tips that really made a big difference in mine:

1. Tumble FAST. That just doesn't mean running fast. The main thing is to leave your hands on the ground for the shortest time period possible. You want to snap from your open body to hollow body as fast as possible in your round off and back handspring. This will give you your energy for the height of your set.

2. When you set, block at a 2 o'clock angle from the ground for maximum height. If you land your back handspring straight up and down to the floor (12 o'clock), your momentum is going backwards from your back handspring so your set will fly back and your layout will most likely be whipped. This helps with tucks and fulls as well!

3. USE YOUR HIPS. This one is the hardest to grasp! You are basically supposed to pelvic thrust in the air to prevent piked layouts. Try to push your hips in front of your shoulders and squeeze that butt like it's your job! It'll feel awkward and your instinct will tell you to pike and drive your feet to the ground, but instead drive your hips to the wall in front of you and let your feet land meanwhile.

Good luck!

Get a spot first and foremost! They can show you what it's supposed to feel like to do a correct layout on the floor. (Not too much spotting though...you don't want to become dependent on it!) The rod floor is the next "on your own" step, so try to get it on there if your gym has one. After that, try tumbling from the spring floor into the pit if your gym is set up that way. That way if you fall, freak out, land funny, etc, you won't get hurt, mat burned or bruised. It's definitely a confidence builder because if you can land it perfect in the pit, it's essentially the same thing on the floor, just without the squishy landing. :)

I worked on layouts forever and have had every issue with them you can think of. But I perfected them and now I have my full! Here are some tips that really made a big difference in mine:

1. Tumble FAST. That just doesn't mean running fast. The main thing is to leave your hands on the ground for the shortest time period possible. You want to snap from your open body to hollow body as fast as possible in your round off and back handspring. This will give you your energy for the height of your set.

2. When you set, block at a 2 o'clock angle from the ground for maximum height. If you land your back handspring straight up and down to the floor (12 o'clock), your momentum is going backwards from your back handspring so your set will fly back and your layout will most likely be whipped. This helps with tucks and fulls as well!

3. USE YOUR HIPS. This one is the hardest to grasp! You are basically supposed to pelvic thrust in the air to prevent piked layouts. Try to push your hips in front of your shoulders and squeeze that butt like it's your job! It'll feel awkward and your instinct will tell you to pike and drive your feet to the ground, but instead drive your hips to the wall in front of you and let your feet land meanwhile.

Good luck!

Thank you so much :)

Good luck!

Great reply! I have never thought of phrasing the block as a "2 o'clock position." Blocking position is a concept I tend struggle to effectively communicate to my athletes, and that gives it a nice visual, making it easier to conceptualize.

This is the reason I love these boards, and working with other coaches in general. You constantly see new ways other coaches teach the same thing... but communicate differently. I will have to add that to my mental "toolbox" for teaching!

Another good lead up skill is doing a tuck kick out. Do a high tuck and kick out to a straight body before you land. Give you the feeling of a layout on the second half of the flip while still having that tuck initiation to make you feel more comfortable.

It's a common skill for gymnasts to learn.

here's a video... ignore the commentary :p

Back