Learning Back Handspring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 27, 2012
how long does it usually take to learn a back handspring?.. My daughter has been at it a couple of months but for some reason cant throw it without a spot.. any tips or ideas?.

it takes practice,, i bet she most likely has it but is just to afraid to throw it with out a spot, she just needs to tell herself she's going to do it, the do it before she can think about it

It varies from person to person. Some kids are literally born to tumble and get it quickly with good form. I haven't seen that too often. It took my CP about 6-9 months to get it, and it took about a year to a year and a half to get it to the point where it's clean and strong and is a good basis for a running pass leading to other skills. But it depends on a lot of factors - good instruction, confidence and especially conditioning to build upper body strength.

Everyone is different and progresses to a new skill at different rates and some never progress for a variety of factors. I would ask cp's tumbling coach their thoughts on her progressing and what he/she thinks the hold up may be. Another possibility is if she is always with the same instructor maybe a change can help. Some motivate and push kids in different ways. Ultimately though is sounds like could be comfort level. Good luck with it.

2 years... There are so many components of BHS that if she's missing one she may not be getting it *shoulder flex, strong arms, strong core, back flex....) There's absolutely no rush

There's not really a specific time. Some people automatically have good form and good muscle memory and can learn quickly. It really just differs from person to person. Maybe it would help if she did it by herself on the cheese mat or trampoline

My son started working on his at 4 - he turned 7 at the end of oct and just started throwing it without a spot in September - now we need to get it clean and long - this is the 3rd set of instructors and they took him from struggling to do it on a PAC man mat to doing it on his own in about 3 months

My daughter got her's in about a yr but was janky (about 6yrs old) was doing multiples last dec with inconsistent running back tuck. New instructors for 3 months and has beautiful BHS, can do 5+ in a row and threw her first RO, BHS, whip, double BHS, layout the other night - now 9

While I completely agree that everyone develops at their own speed, proper positive instruction goes a long way

I know people who took 3 years just to get one and I know people who got it in a few days. Back handsprings in my opinion are harder to get for most than tucks, layouts or fulls because there is ususally a "mental black" that come with it, especially if you are learning it past the ages of say..10 or 12. Just REALLY be willing to work to get it and avoid fear at all costs! After that hurdle everything else in relation to tumbling won't be so hard:D

Back