High School Legal Tumbling In Non-tumbling Division

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 17, 2009
I'm an All Star coach choreographing a high school routine that plans to compete in the non-tumbling division. I need some help decoding the AACCA rules.

Rule:
Stunting-
Stunting is allowed through the Advanced level of division limitations.

Tumbling-
This division prohibits all standing and/or running tumbling with feet over head rotation, including forward and backward rolls, cartwheels, handsprings, aerials, etc. Legal stunt inversions into or from stunts will not be considered tumbling and are therefore allowed in this division.

Glossary:
Tumbling: Gymnastic skills that begin and end on the performing surface, including rolls, inverted extended skills (cartwheels, handstands, walkovers, handsprings, etc.), aerials, twists and flips. NOTE: Jumps, leaps and side rolls on the performing surface are not considered to be tumbling.

So I plan to have the flyer back handspring into a stunt but land in the prone position with hands on the floor but legs and feet caught in a cradle and dip into a reload position. The skill never ends on the performance surface so it should not be considered to be tumbling, but a stunt transition/ inversion.

Does anyone have any insight to this loophole?

I'm assuming you're from the same area as me sadly there's no telling what they consider legal or not. Your best bet is to record it and send it to the rules email and ask!

Your best bet is to email Jim Lord and ask him directly. That way if there is ever a legality question, you'll have his email response ready to fight any future legality deductions. [email protected]

My interpretation of the rule is that a handspring into the stunt is legal. Just like a roll or walkover out of a stunt would be. A handspring that lands and then the girl rebounds to a cradle wouldn't be. Again that's how I'm interpreting the rule. I would definitely take advantage of sending the question in to Jim Lord.

I'm assuming the stunt you're describing is like this one at :50 seconds, but instead of a roundoff your planning on a handspring.

Your best bet is to email Jim Lord and ask him directly. That way if there is ever a legality question, you'll have his email response ready to fight any future legality deductions. [email protected]

My interpretation of the rule is that a handspring into the stunt is legal. Just like a roll or walkover out of a stunt would be. A handspring that lands and then the girl rebounds to a cradle wouldn't be. Again that's how I'm interpreting the rule. I would definitely take advantage of sending the question in to Jim Lord.

I'm assuming the stunt you're describing is like this one at :50 seconds, but instead of a roundoff your planning on a handspring.

thank you!!

I'm an All Star coach choreographing a high school routine that plans to compete in the non-tumbling division. I need some help decoding the AACCA rules.

Rule:
Stunting-
Stunting is allowed through the Advanced level of division limitations.

Tumbling-
This division prohibits all standing and/or running tumbling with feet over head rotation, including forward and backward rolls, cartwheels, handsprings, aerials, etc. Legal stunt inversions into or from stunts will not be considered tumbling and are therefore allowed in this division.

Glossary:
Tumbling: Gymnastic skills that begin and end on the performing surface, including rolls, inverted extended skills (cartwheels, handstands, walkovers, handsprings, etc.), aerials, twists and flips. NOTE: Jumps, leaps and side rolls on the performing surface are not considered to be tumbling.

So I plan to have the flyer back handspring into a stunt but land in the prone position with hands on the floor but legs and feet caught in a cradle and dip into a reload position. The skill never ends on the performance surface so it should not be considered to be tumbling, but a stunt transition/ inversion.

Does anyone have any insight to this loophole?

Yes, you can do that, they can not backhandspring rebound into a cradle, they can invert to the prone as long as the bases catch in the stunt. I did it last year, so I know it is OK, however, just in case, video and check w/ Jim Lord.

Latest posts

Back