High School Legality Question- Double Downs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 30, 2011
I've heard that double downs are now illegal in high school cheerleading. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

It might be true in specific localities (like local school district rules or even state-wide rules), but double downs are still legal under AACCA and NFHS (unless things have changed in the past week or so). You cannot do any released twisting skill on hard surfaces, though - maybe that's what you heard? It used to be that you couldn't do double downs on hard surfaces (like a basketball court) but this year the rule was changed to prohibit any released twisting skill on a hard surface (so, single twisting cradles, and even 1/4 twist cradles).

If it is, its a new rule. You can't double in middle school. I hope they didn't take it away from high school too! I haven't heard of any new rule changes, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen!

I emailed Jim Lord (head of AACCA) and asked... and yes, the rumors are true. Double downs will be illegal under AACCA rules for the 2012-2013 school year, as well as additional, unspecified changes that he said coaches will really like.

The justification for the change is "data showing body-to-body contact being the primary head injury cause and warnings for years about double downs not being heeded. I think there's just too much pressure being put on coaches and teams to do them for competition when they aren't ready to do it. "

Oh, and I asked when the rules changes would be published, and he said mid-April, if not sooner.

I emailed Jim Lord (head of AACCA) and asked... and yes, the rumors are true. Double downs will be illegal under AACCA rules for the 2012-2013 school year, as well as additional, unspecified changes that he said coaches will really like.

The justification for the change is "data showing body-to-body contact being the primary head injury cause and warnings for years about double downs not being heeded. I think there's just too much pressure being put on coaches and teams to do them for competition when they aren't ready to do it. "

I totally understand the ruling, there are a lot teams that aren't ready but push for doubles so they can stay competitive with the other teams. I am pretty sure kick double baskets are going to be included in this as well. It will be very interesting to see how this changes cheerleading in my state. They are pretty much the norm here.

I'm so anxious to hear the changes that we will really like!!!

I'm shocked. I hope they don't continue to limit the things they let high school cheerleaders do. I know, I know its because some people do skills before they are ready so they can stay competitive, but what if someday they have so many limits on what high school cheerleaders can do that kids no longer want to be on high school teams? I would hate to see the end of competitive high school cheerleading (not saying that it is going to happen or that it would ever happen anytime soon, just putting it out there).

Good and bad I think. A little disappointed but I can definitely understand the ruling. It's a shame that things keep becoming illegal because coaches and teams are trying things out of their ability! I'm afraid talented kids will get fed up and just do allstars. In our area high school cheer is for the most part pretty advanced. We have a lot of top teams in the country from the schools here. They can and should be able to double down. I know its not like this everywhere, but it effects everyone regardless of area!

I'm a little worried about the other rule changes that "coaches will really like." I'm hoping that we really will like them but something tells me I might not!

Good and bad I think. A little disappointed but I can definitely understand the ruling. It's a shame that things keep becoming illegal because coaches and teams are trying things out of their ability! I'm afraid talented kids will get fed up and just do allstars. In our area high school cheer is for the most part pretty advanced. We have a lot of top teams in the country from the schools here. They can and should be able to double down. I know its not like this everywhere, but it effects everyone regardless of area!

I'm a little worried about the other rule changes that "coaches will really like." I'm hoping that we really will like them but something tells me I might not!

Agree, agree, agree. And this really disturbs me, too, because in my area, there is only one local all star gym that the kids could get pushed to and, man, let's just say that it would *not* be a step in a safer direction for the kids to go there. There are terribly unqualified (yet technically "qualified") all star coaches out there who remain able to teach advanced skills to kids. How far will this limitation of skills in school cheer go?

I really wish that instead of limiting what the kids can do they would make HS divisions. In order to stunt you have to be certified at a level. You can get certified at camp, or by having an AACCA/NFHS Evaluator come out to your school. You demonstrate proficiency on a set of skills and you are approved to perform them for the year at games and in competition. You can't go above your level for games/competition for that year.

I really wish that instead of limiting what the kids can do they would make HS divisions. In order to stunt you have to be certified at a level. You can get certified at camp, or by having an AACCA/NFHS Evaluator come out to your school. You demonstrate proficiency on a set of skills and you are approved to perform them for the year at games and in competition. You can't go above your level for games/competition for that year.

While that sounds like a great idea, I don't think it's very practical. It might work for competitions, but who's to say the team wouldn't practice and practice stunts they weren't ready for to get the higher level certification causing more injury. And it would be next to impossible to keep a team from doing higher level skills at games, it's hard enough trying to keep high schools from doing illegal things at games.

In Saskatchewan this year we changed the divisions for high school teams to levels like in all-star it has been an improvement on the safety and skill levels for teams that were being held back by the old rules and has led to safer routines for teams that weren't ready for certain skills. I think a lot of coaches are very happy with the change

Back