High School Legality Question- Double Downs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm shocked. I hope they don't continue to limit the things they let high school cheerleaders do. I know, I know its because some people do skills before they are ready so they can stay competitive, but what if someday they have so many limits on what high school cheerleaders can do that kids no longer want to be on high school teams? I would hate to see the end of competitive high school cheerleading (not saying that it is going to happen or that it would ever happen anytime soon, just putting it out there).

I see high school
Cheerleading getting to the point where they take everything away and we are side lines only. Funny there are injuries with football too but there isn't a ruling hey take tackling out that's dangerous and some coaches just aren't trained well enough ...for the love our sport address the issue - HIRE trained coaches like in your other sports - be accountable
Instead of limiting and generalizing!

While I'm on my soap box I just got back from day one of
Our states competition and let me tell you double downs are the least of the safety problems --- i actually disnt see one that made me cringe today but how about tucks that don't set and come about 3" from the ground? How about simple libs that some teams should not
Be performing because they are so shaky and poor
Technique (fyi these teams were not the ones doubling) They do thess because you
Have to be at a certain skill level to hang at states - again come on cheer gods address the real
Issue - have levels so ALL high school teams can compete at their level safely - and high schools hire trained coaches. I think all stars should show high school how it's down - levels with proper progressions so we all belong somewhere where we can be proud and safe. AnD coaching certification to the level performing

when i cheered HS, i only cheered the sideline team (too in love with allstars!)so i don't know the competition rules, though i enjoy watching, but will that rule apply to EVERY team competing in all of the US in highschool? Or are there different ruling systems for each state?

when i cheered HS, i only cheered the sideline team (too in love with allstars!)so i don't know the competition rules, though i enjoy watching, but will that rule apply to EVERY team competing in all of the US in highschool? Or are there different ruling systems for each state?

It will apply to all high schools in states where they follow NFHS or AACCA rules. It will also apply to any competition with an EP that follows NFHS or AACCA rules.

Most competitions run by EPs have an advanced division (with rules that basically allow everything that AACCA allows) and an intermediate division (with rules that are roughly equivalent to USASF level 3) - why couldn't AACCA create similar divisions and allow coaches to be certified to a specific level?

What it really comes down to, though, is high schools only hiring knowledgeable coaches - even with different divisions and certifications, high schools could (and would) still hire people who aren't qualified, who would still have their kids perform dangerous skills that they are unprepared for. Not sure how to enforce that - maybe high schools could have signs that say "Our Cheer Coaches are AACCA certified" - lol, not that parents would know to look for that, or anything. Sigh. I mean, I understand the push for safety - the problem is that the only people likely to follow the rules are the ones who are knowledgeable in the first place.

What it really comes down to, though, is high schools only hiring knowledgeable coaches - even with different divisions and certifications, high schools could (and would) still hire people who aren't qualified, who would still have their kids perform dangerous skills that they are unprepared for. Not sure how to enforce that - maybe high schools could have signs that say "Our Cheer Coaches are AACCA certified" - lol, not that parents would know to look for that, or anything. Sigh. I mean, I understand the push for safety - the problem is that the only people likely to follow the rules are the ones who are knowledgeable in the first place.

This is the most important part! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a non-certified person hired over an AACCA certified applicant. It's awful. Most athletic directors are morons. Gym teacher who wants the higher pay, no clue on safety or liability. They are stuck in the mentality that the cheerleaders are the pretty, skinny, popular ones...so that's what they look for in a coach....skinny and pretty (and usually dumb as a door nail).

Unfortunately, there are also many coaches that know the rules but disregard them unless it's the competition routine. I know of one that does back tuck pyramids because the girls like it, the crowd likes it, and she (with her two years experience) thinks it's safe. :banghead:

I wish basketball officials would know the rules and enforce them, that might help a little. But maybe we could have AD's have to have a certain amount of knowledge as well. In IL cheer coaches have to attend (well now it's viewed online) a rules meeting but if the AD doesn't care and the school doesn't compete in the state competition series then no one really cares. Or maybe we could start The Cheer Police and just have a group of people that randomly go to high school games to make sure coaches are following the rules. :)

Unfortunately, there are also many coaches that know the rules but disregard them unless it's the competition routine. I know of one that does back tuck pyramids because the girls like it, the crowd likes it, and she (with her two years experience) thinks it's safe. :banghead:

Or they're "certified" and still don't understand the rules... Like the varsity team that won our county competition this year that performed braced inversions in a pyramid - that coach, the "head judge" (the local all star gym coach/owner) and the safety judge are all AACCA certified, yet they all argued that this skill was legal. Ummmmmm, no. No it isn't. (There were no fewer than FOUR illegal inversions performed at that competition by three different teams - maybe more, because I was with my JV team for part of the competition so I didn't see every routine. It was insane.)

I wish AACCA would put a big, bold link to ILLEGAL SKILLS videos on their site, and include everything they can think of that schools regularly do that is illegal, then send a link out to every high school in the country.

I wish AACCA would put a big, bold link to ILLEGAL SKILLS videos on their site, and include everything they can think of that schools regularly do that is illegal, then send a link out to every high school in the country.

THIS would be helpful!!! They can label the videos with "we know you see college and all star teams do this, but it's illegal for high school"...Then send them to every HS Principal and AD and Coach.

I also emailed Jim Lord and was told this is NOT final. NFHS voted to make doubles illegal and their board reviews this tomorrow (Monday). If passed, there will be an announcement. Any coach or cheerleader who feels strongly against this should appeal to the nfhs in writing ASAP. The teams that are capable and skilled enough to compete at this level should not be punished for the actions of coaches who do not teach proper progressions! Find a way to encourage better coaching and better skill progression- don't ban the skills the kids have worked so hard to attain!

I also emailed Jim Lord and was told this is NOT final. NFHS voted to make doubles illegal and their board reviews this tomorrow (Monday). If passed, there will be an announcement. Any coach or cheerleader who feels strongly against this should appeal to the nfhs in writing ASAP. The teams that are capable and skilled enough to compete at this level should not be punished for the actions of coaches who do not teach proper progressions! Find a way to encourage better coaching and better skill progression- don't ban the skills the kids have worked so hard to attain!

That is good information to know. Jim didn't say anything at all in his email to me about this change not being final. I will begin an email writing campaign right now, lol.

This is so crazy. I knew they had been threatening doing this for a couple years I just never thought it would actually happen. I would love to know what the board decided after their board reviews today. If this went in to effect would it be all double? From extended single leg stunts and and double bassed shoulder height stunts, and what about baskets? Would kick doubles and two twists in baskets becoming illegal as well?

If any one has heard anything from the board reviews today, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious.

I looked for info on the site and couldn't find anything -
I wish members were given
Voting / ideas for this. :(

Back