High School Legality Question- Double Downs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have a few opinions... I hate levels in HS cheerleading. I feel like you get what you get and you make them the best! Just my opinion, High School cheerleading is not a money maker like all-star. I also don't think if you are Level 1 High School you should be going to nationals or anything like that... it's flat out stupid! The beauty of high school is you work with what you have, you build to your stregnths! It makes it really fun when you compete to watch the clean team do well and also gives them something to work to and you don't feel like you are watching the same routine over and over and over and over and over! Also high school all music irritates me. You cheer in high school, you should be cheering for your games, end of story, so your competition routine should have a cheer (style doesn't matter) to show your school spirit.

Double downs.. I hope this gets voted on. Also, maybe some simple pyramid inversions are in store which would be nice... I would LOVE that b/c high school you really need more creativity.

The person I coach with (head coach) I just found out is not AACCA certified although she says she is. Well, what really gets me is that constantly when I am not there she is having the girls try skills they have not progressed to. 2 seasons ago, we had 3 concussions with double downs... this year we had one w/ a kick full toss that the top is not understanding form for. It just makes no sense since most high school teams don't have the proper coaches and school districts are only cutting budgets, not increasing so the chances that the coaches for these teams are underqualified is pretty good!

I know you are all not going to agree and I am 100% ok with that!

Sparkle spankies - I'm guessing your team is competitive level with enough girls at tryouts to field a full varsity team if not maybe even a jv team? Another side is the high schools
Where cheer is not huge but the girls
Who are on the team love their sport -
They love games
AND competition - I like the idea of
Levels because no we don't make $$ in high school for cheering - but ep's you can make $$$ by offering these division by having more teams be able to participate.

There are teams that will
Never be elite but I feel do deserve to be able to go to competition and show off what they have worked for and feel proud. On the flip side I don't think the thrill of the win is as fun when an elite team beats teams that are so far below them skill wise - just another side to consider

I guess.. but honestly w/in our area and especially our conference, teams are pretty evenly matched, some may excel at tumbling, some at stunting! There are a few WAY better, but they also don't go to the same competitions, they stick w/ the competitions where they are getting something out of it. And unfortunatley there are worse, but they really don't compete, not b/c of talent b/c of lack of coaching which is a shame. Honestly, if there are 9 girls that can do 2 extensions and they are good extensions, they can place well. It all comes down to coaching... so why I don't like "levels" in HS cheer, just an example... in our league competition, the 3rd place team did all extensions, had 20 kids, 5 backhandsprings 1 360 and some attached libertys and got 3rd out of 9... why b/c they were clean and well coached! The rest all had kick full tosses, double downs, single bases, single leg stunts, transitions at least 1/2 squad advanced (handsprings) tumbling.....

End of story!

I want to move my team to
Your state ;). On a good note a lot of varsity brands offer Various divisions so we can compete. States is the only big one we get pressure from our school to go but we aren't up to that level. I wish our school would just understand states is not for everyone ;)

I'm honestly heartbroken. Our groups have been working so so so hard to get these doubles this past year for this upcoming season and now all these girls that were patient, and did the drills, and did the conditioning and worked so hard to get them, are just going to have to let them go to waste. Its really upsetting that the bad or inexperienced and just plain neglectful coaches ruin it for the rest of us.

I'm incredibly curious as to how this will affect us in IL cheerleading, where double downs are standard. I hope this doesn't pass. If it does, I can honestly say that this upcoming season would probably be my last in HS cheer. I can probably say the same for a lot of my teammates. We're sick of being limited.

mariahnicole1216 I'm very curious as well!! IL cheerleading won't be the same without doubles. But the rumors I've heard all say that they are giving us other stuff back, so that should make it interesting as well. State routines will look so different this year, I'm sad to see doubles go, but excited to see what they'll let us do again.

mariahnicole1216 I'm very curious as well!! IL cheerleading won't be the same without doubles. But the rumors I've heard all say that they are giving us other stuff back, so that should make it interesting as well. State routines will look so different this year, I'm sad to see doubles go, but excited to see what they'll let us do again.
What other stuff? hahah I only know that they took away fulling on gym floors this year

What other stuff? hahah I only know that they took away fulling on gym floors this year
I haven't heard any word on what, but everyone that says that double downs will be illegal also says that they will let us do stuff that was illegal in the past. I don't know what, but a lot of people said that we will like the other changes, so we'll see. I just wish the NFHS would do the press release already. We already know half of what's on it!! :)

I agree. While I hate to see double downs go, I can trade it for something like inversions; at least in pyramids. I remember doing them way back in middle school (6th grade) before we found out they were illegal......so for my Senior year, I will be nice to do it again. Can't wait to see

The more I think about it, the more I don't want inversions in HS. Too scary, much more chance for injury with unqualified coaches trying to teach them.
I would however like to see more releases allowed (bring back the tick tock, and allow for more releases in pyramids).

The more I think about it, the more I don't want inversions in HS. Too scary, much more chance for injury with unqualified coaches trying to teach them.
I would however like to see more releases allowed (bring back the tick tock, and allow for more releases in pyramids).

I would be fine with up to level 3 inversions. But again, you're going to run into the problem of unqualified people not understanding 1) that there are rules that apply to them and 2) what the rules exactly say. Rather than changing the rules in search of that ever-elusive "safety," I want a certification that means something, both in terms of actually helping coaches understand how to coach more safely in how certified coaches are perceived by athletes, parents and administrators. I want truly qualified, certified coaches to be in demand. How do we create that demand? Certainly not by continually watering down rules, especially based on statistics that don't look at whether or not injuries happen under a certified coach's watch (where are those statistics, anyway?)

I would be fine with up to level 3 inversions. But again, you're going to run into the problem of unqualified people not understanding 1) that there are rules that apply to them and 2) what the rules exactly say. Rather than changing the rules in search of that ever-elusive "safety," I want a certification that means something, both in terms of actually helping coaches understand how to coach more safely in how certified coaches are perceived by athletes, parents and administrators. I want truly qualified, certified coaches to be in demand. How do we create that demand? Certainly not by continually watering down rules, especially based on statistics that don't look at whether or not injuries happen under a certified coach's watch (where are those statistics, anyway?)

Agree, they will launch someone and then next thing you know, illegal too.

I am on the fence about doubles b/c I said I would LOVE it b/c it alleviates pressure for those not ready, HOWEVER, when done nice, they are awesome.. also when judging I will lose that lovely favorite comment of mine "clean up doubles, if you don't make it all the way around, use single" :) LOL Or the large array of comments I have when I see people landing on bellys w/ legs apart left and right!

I am on the fence about doubles b/c I said I would LOVE it b/c it alleviates pressure for those not ready, HOWEVER, when done nice, they are awesome.. also when judging I will lose that lovely favorite comment of mine "clean up doubles, if you don't make it all the way around, use single" :) LOL Or the large array of comments I have when I see people landing on bellys w/ legs apart left and right!

LOL!! I'm sad to say good-bye to that comment as well.

Back