High School Legality Question- Double Downs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've heard of some competitions scoring doubles and fulls the same? i.e. you don't get any more points on a perfect double than you would on a perfect full down.
Just bringing that up, it may not be a popular way of scoring at all :rolleyes:

I've heard of some competitions scoring doubles and fulls the same? i.e. you don't get any more points on a perfect double than you would on a perfect full down.
Just bringing that up, it may not be a popular way of scoring at all :rolleyes:

In IL it would put you in the 9-10 range for stunts, if the execution was there of course!

Any word if kick doubles be illegal too?

As a spectator, I'm sad to see double downs go. However, watching girls attempt their first double downs (ESPECIALLY KICK DOUBLES) is really scary to watch on inadequate surfaces. As much as we all want to believe that every high school has the budget for brand new mats every few years, most don't.

Any word if kick doubles be illegal too?

As a spectator, I'm sad to see double downs go. However, watching girls attempt their first double downs (ESPECIALLY KICK DOUBLES) is really scary to watch on inadequate surfaces. As much as we all want to believe that every high school has the budget for brand new mats every few years, most don't.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm pretty sure those will be illegal as well.

Oh to have new mats!! We still have the ones that you have to turn over to roll up, so they pick up all the grossness on the gym floor as they are taken out and put away. And you always have some girls that think it's easier just to push them rather than roll them so they really pick up everything!! Blech!!! Not only are they old they are absolutely disgusting!! :eek:

Oh, we got brand new mats! But every gym class/team thought that they could use them too. And who's fault is it when they get messed up? Certainly not the teachers or coaches. :banghead:

But, back on topic, considering the other regulations on baskets, I think it's safe to say no kick doubles...

THIS would be helpful!!! They can label the videos with "we know you see college and all star teams do this, but it's illegal for high school"...Then send them to every HS Principal and AD and Coach.

I wonder if my high school worked on this over the summer, if they would use it? I'm going to ask Jim and get see. We would love to do this.

I wonder if my high school worked on this over the summer, if they would use it? I'm going to ask Jim and get see. We would love to do this.

Well, you'd need a college and all star team to do it. They would demo the skills that are illegal at the HS level that uneducated HS coaches commonly allow their teams to do. I've even seen HS teams do tuck tosses, which have been illegal since before many of these HS coaches were even born!

If you take a high school team with a coach who is certified level 4/5 USASF in stunts, into a gym, on a spring floor, are they still bound by the AACCA rules at practice or do they fall under the USASF rules? Most of my girls are on level 4/5 teams. Could they not show that a double down is illegal in a video or do they have to put on their AS uniform? I know this question could come off as me being a jerk, but I'm kind of being devil's advocate.

If you take a high school team with a coach who is certified level 4/5 USASF in stunts, into a gym, on a spring floor, are they still bound by the AACCA rules at practice or do they fall under the USASF rules? Most of my girls are on level 4/5 teams. Could they not show that a double down is illegal in a video or do they have to put on their AS uniform? I know this question could come off as me being a jerk, but I'm kind of being devil's advocate.

As their hired school team coach, even if they're all capable of the skills and even if you aren't at the school and even if they aren't wearing any school name-you are bound to AACCA rules.

My husband coaches a high school team (not cheer). They enter summer tournaments as a team. We had to create a business for this. We incorporated in the state, file taxes, parents pay fees to that company for the summer practices and tournaments. We have to rent fields for practices (we rent from our HS, but if we were the school team use of the fields would be free). Our team name and colors are completely different from the school's. It's also an optional thing for the boys on his team (obviously). It's a way to get around the state regulations of off season team practices. Since it's not the official school team, they can't cite them with a violation. This also means that they don't have to follow school team rules (grades etc)...they can pull an 8th grader up, and most of the tournaments have a division for kids who graduated HS but aren't playing NCAA.

Just got back from our state coaches conference and they gave us a list of proposed NFHS rules changes. I don't know how to get a copy of them on here though. Inversions in various forms are being allowed and double downs are out.

Just got back from our state coaches conference and they gave us a list of proposed NFHS rules changes. I don't know how to get a copy of them on here though. Inversions in various forms are being allowed and double downs are out.

Can you scan it, save it as a jpg and upload it like a picture?

Back