All-Star Legitimate Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So you're saying false advertisement should be utilized because it is a more effective marketing technique? I think placing at a prestigious nationals can be regarded just as highly as winning a smaller less competitive competition.

How is saying "National Champs" at Battle at the Beach false advertising? Because it isn't prestigious enough in your eyes?

I think for small local programs that don't attend the big Nationals, the smaller Nationals are just as important to them as NCA is to us. When we went to SC Nationals, the girls were coming off their NCA win and had slightly inflated egos. I had to shut my cp down because she kept saying how this comp wasn't important. I reminded her that to some of the other gyms THIS was their NCA and to be respectful of that.

So you're saying false advertisement should be utilized because it is a more effective marketing technique? I think placing at a prestigious nationals can be regarded just as highly as winning a smaller less competitive competition.

She never said that false advertisement should be used.....she simply said you don't want to put negative crap on a business website. This would go the same for any other business. In my opinion, Worlds is the true "National Champion". And Internation Divisions is the "World Champion". Until the other divisions have 20 or so countries competiting...it's just a National Champion. But since USASF is making lots of people mad, I am sure that other companies will form their own "World" competitions, and then soon many gyms are going to be 135 time World Champions in like 5 years.

How is saying "National Champs" at Battle at the Beach false advertising? Because it isn't prestigious enough in your eyes?
I don't think you are understanding what my point is. In my opinion, i don't think many of the competitions that call themselves National competitions should be called a "nationals". I'm not trying to take away from the teams or wins at these competitions. They are accomplishments. But I think it's misleading to be able to advertise you are a national champion when winning a small "national competition". There should be some kind of distinction. I'm sorry if this offends you but I am not alone in my opinion.

Currently my program doesn't travel very far to compete. We attend competitions close to home but there are always 80 or more teams at the small comps and 200 or more at the larger comps. All of the comps are run by respected names in the industry. Some of the titles we win are "national champions". We all know there are multiple national championships but this is the name the EP's gave to the competition. We will definitely use this to our advantage in advertising and I defend the right to do so bc we worked hard for those wins and had to beat other great teams to earn them. If you eliminated all but only the BIG competitions then we would either be forced to compete only at those events and attend 2 (maybe 3) events total for the year or we would cease to compete at all.
I'm thankful for and proud of all the championships and national championships we attend. And I'll toot our horn when we win them.

I don't think you are understanding what my point is. In my opinion, i don't think many of the competitions that call themselves National competitions should be called a "nationals". I'm not trying to take away from the teams or wins at these competitions. They are accomplishments. But I think it's misleading to be able to advertise you are a national champion when winning a small "national competition". There should be some kind of distinction. I'm sorry if this offends you but I am not alone in my opinion.
I agree that there should be more of a distinction, however there isn't. So until there is everyone's a winner! Unfortunate, I agree, but no EP wants to believe that their comp isn't important, nor do gym owners, parents and kids that are paying to compete there.

Some of you are assuming most of the world knows what we know about cheer before they get into it. Any parent and/or athlete who has been involved for years know what the deal is (I would hope). For some, winning some obscure nationals is the highlight of their cheer career and they don't know any better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! If you're happy, great! Once you get into it, and at usually a higher level, you actually see the big picture and know. At that point, if you're still deciding to go with an organization only because they say on their website "National Champions!" and are disappointed with the outcome, it's your mistake for not looking further into it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying National Champions, no matter what competition it was, if it's true. Until the cheerworld stops having 203598985 nationals, it is true.

I just think the fact that pretty much any competition can call themselves a "nationals" takes away from a win at a big nationals where you are competing against a lot of the best teams in the nation. That is all.

I don't think "We spent $2000 per family to go to NCA and Lost" is a very effective marketing technique.
Good point. How about "We went to NCA and got 3rd!", when the gym down the road says "National Champions!" (It was at Billy Joe's Barnyard Barbeque National Championships btw). I would probably choose the gym that got 3rd at NCA, but for some who have less experience in this crazy cheer world, they may go with the national champions. If they are unhappy, they will learn more and look elsewhere. But if they're happy with winning the Barnyard Nationals every year, they'll hang. Who are we to judge?

I just think the fact that pretty much any competition can call themselves a "nationals" takes away from a win at a big nationals where you are competing against a lot of the best teams in the nation. That is all.
Yes, there are way too many Nationals! But I'm not so sure it takes away from the people who really know cheer. Even these coaches and owners know better when their screaming WE WON THE BARNYARD NATIONALS! They are just trying to drum up business, which what owner wouldn't? I think it all shakes out. AND UNTIL THEY STOP HAVING SO MANY NATIONALS, IT'LL NEVER END!

So for now, I just sit back, smile and say congrats to all National Champions out there! Billy Joe would be proud!

Oh, no, I completely understand, so let's do this. You make sure you go to the owners of your gym and tell them exactly how you feel! Make sure you let them that they should only advertise that big win from UCA. The rest of the competitions the other teams at your gym may have won, well, they weren't really a national championship, so, we will just keep those on the hush. They should be sure to just say "We got first". But don't advertise it. I am sure the other gyms in your area won't mind a bit! Then, make sure you send out a memo to tell all of the other athletes at the gym your plan!

The point is, until there is a complete system set up with locals, states, regionals, and one nationals, telling the cheer world that only the big competitions are real nationals and everything else really isn't worth celebrating is just not feasible, nor fair. I get that you feel really great about your win, and I am happy for you. But quite honestly you should probably check the ego at the door.

Oh, no, I completely understand, so let's do this. You make sure you go to the owners of your gym and tell them exactly how you feel! Make sure you let them that they should only advertise that big win from UCA. The rest of the competitions the other teams at your gym may have won, well, they weren't really a national championship, so, we will just keep those on the hush. They should be sure to just say "We got first". But don't advertise it. I am sure the other gyms in your area won't mind a bit! Then, make sure you send out a memo to tell all of the other athletes at the gym your plan!

The point is, until there is a complete system set up with locals, states, regionals, and one nationals, telling the cheer world that only the big competitions are real nationals and everything else really isn't worth celebrating is just not feasible, nor fair. I get that you feel really great about your win, and I am happy for you. But quite honestly you should probably check the ego at the door.
Are you serious. I am 17 year old cheerleader and you are a grown adult with children. Do you really feel the need to attack me and my gym and tell me I have an ego? Stop taking everything so personally, i intended no harm when i created this thread. Thank you for your opinion but feel free to stop attacking me on this thread.

I agree with the posters above that say it sorta depends on the situation. If you live in an area like Dallas or Atlanta, I think you should advertise every win you get! Those areas are so reputable when it comes to "actual" nationally successful teams that a lot of the time if you win at a lower tier national, you can still be competing against some of the best teams in the country. I don't think I'd complain if they set up a more structured system to classify nationals, though. Like if it has so many teams than it gets to be a "5/4/3/2/1 star national". Athletes can all still be considered "national champions" when they win, but there is a sort of "prestige" attached to ones that are more difficult to win. I don't know, it's just a theory. It doesn't really bother me that much because I feel like anyone that cares about the notoriety of their gym's awards will learn the system within a year or two.

I agree with the posters above that say it sorta depends on the situation. If you live in an area like Dallas or Atlanta, I think you should advertise every win you get! Those areas are so reputable when it comes to "actual" nationally successful teams that a lot of the time if you win at a lower tier national, you can still be competing against some of the best teams in the country. I don't think I'd complain if they set up a more structured system to classify nationals, though. Like if it has so many teams than it gets to be a "5/4/3/2/1 star national". Athletes can all still be considered "national champions" when they win, but there is a sort of "prestige" attached to ones that are more difficult to win. I don't know, it's just a theory. It doesn't really bother me that much because I feel like anyone that cares about the notoriety of their gym's awards will learn the system within a year or two.
I like the stars idea! Seems like it could work quite nicely.

Back