Level 5 But New To Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 6, 2012
Hello everyone
My daughter is new to cheer from gymnastics and is on what I guess is a good level 5 team. I am still learning my way around the cheer talk! I have to ask since another mom recommended I sign up here to learn more, do many of these kids do other sports or is allstar cheer pretty much "it?"

Thanks Marg

My daughter cheers for middle school football and basketball. Her gym is very supportive of school cheer and doesn't penalize her for missing pracetice to cheer for a game. I don't believe they are as 'understanding' when it comes to other sports.

A lot of girls on other teams do other sports, but those a most likely lower level teams. A level 5 team is a large commitment though, and takes a lot of concentration and dedication.

welcome to the world of cheerleading :) If she's on a good level 5 team my guess is that they probably want the girls more focused on the team being the number one priority. Missing practice or competition for another sport is, in my experience, frowned upon and can lead to dismissal from the team if it becomes a problem. A lot of girls work really hard to be on a level 5 team so if someone is not taking it seriously it usually doesn't end well.

I know lots of level 5 athletes that do track (something about jumps and being able to do hurdles easily,) and dive and ride horses and play soccer. It's tough to manage their schedules, but they make it work somehow (without missing cheer practice or comps!)
One girl on Little's team competes with her high school gymnastics team, but that's the only one I know of. I think most gymnastics coaches would gag if they had to deal with a "cheer full."

Thanks you all. I have to admit the gymnastics gym sort of rolled their eyes when we said we were making the change to cheer. But as we are still pretty young and not in high school yet I guess the coach did not understand. All of her friends do cheer and frankly the change sounds great. Hoping for the best.

Back