All-Star Level5 Tumbling Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I

imrichhowboutu

Everyone is freaking out over these rule changes but I really don't think it affects that many level 5 athletes. For everyone complaining, I have a challenge for you.

- count the number of standing fulls at worlds
- count the number of standing doubles at worlds
- count the number of standing passes ending in doubles
- count the number of doubles that dont have a back handspring before them
- count the number of running tumbling passes involving twisting bounding skills

Next count the total number of athletes at worlds.

I am willing to bet that standing tumbling changes affect about 15-20% of all level 5 athletes. Running tumbling changes probably affect 19% or less of all level 5 athletes.

Now think to yourself that level 5 athletes comprise less than 25% of the total number of allstar cheerleaders.

After reading all of that, do you still think these rule changes will have that much of an impact? The answer should be no.

Besides the benefits of athlete safety, this also greatly levels out the playing field. Many teams can stunt like the big dogs, but who can really hang with them in tumbling?

Everyone is freaking out over these rule changes but I really don't think it affects that many level 5 athletes. For everyone complaining, I have a challenge for you.

- count the number of standing fulls at worlds
- count the number of standing doubles at worlds
- count the number of standing passes ending in doubles
- count the number of doubles that dont have a back handspring before them
- count the number of running tumbling passes involving twisting bounding skills

Next count the total number of athletes at worlds.

I am willing to bet that standing tumbling changes affect about 15-20% of all level 5 athletes. Running tumbling changes probably affect 19% or less of all level 5 athletes.

Now think to yourself that level 5 athletes comprise less than 25% of the total number of allstar cheerleaders.

After reading all of that, do you still think these rule changes will have that much of an impact? The answer should be no.

Besides the benefits of athlete safety, this also greatly levels out the playing field. Many teams can stunt like the big dogs, but who can really hang with them in tumbling?
Isn't the whole point of the word 'competition' to reward those that can excel beyond 'average'? If everyone only had average skills, there would be no competition, just a show.

Isn't the whole point of the word 'competition' to reward those that can excel beyond 'average'? If everyone only had average skills, there would be no competition, just a show.
I think the standing tumbling can be a bit extreme, however in running tumbling, there are still plenty of things you can do.

I think the standing tumbling can be a bit extreme, however in running tumbling, there are still plenty of things you can do.
Yes, I agree, there are. But where is the foresight? 10 years ago nobody could have conceived the skills that the strongest of your athletes execute now. Who knows where they could go in the next 10 years as skills, strength and technique continue to improve (not to mention plain old individual ambition)? Regulate the technique required if you want to prevent accidents, not the skill itself. Otherwise 10 years from now we will be seeing the same routines and skills we see today, until we are all bored to tears.

My issue is that it takes away a place for kids to go and work towards. After you get a RO BHS Double you're almost done with the exception of some combo passes.

Only X amount of athletes do those skills now at Worlds... but don't we have to take into consideration the younger generation (those under 12) that already have those skills or will have them by the time they are Worlds eligible. That's part of the progression in the sport.

Aren't there more standing fulls thrown at Worlds than there were at the first Worlds?

We always have those "remember when" threads... and I'm pretty sure in the next 5-10-15 years (if this rule were to never have happened) it will be "remember when hardly anyone threw standing fulls"

And I'm also thinking about the Kelsey's, the Toni's, the Whitney's, the Kiara's, the Holden's, the Taryn's....

And I'm also thinking about the Kelsey's, the Toni's, the Whitney's, the Kiara's, the Holden's, the Taryn's....

I completely agree that it really sucks for those athletes. Not many gyms have any of those, let alone a handful. I think it is going to be difficult for the small % that have those skills now, but it allows for more creativity without increasing risk.

These rules are really for the coaches that aren't qualified and will give the USASF a way to figure out how to require more qualified coaches. There won't be any injuries for teams that are pushing their star athletes for the bigger and better skills so they can "hang" with the big teams.

my problem is it is just covering o hole of a multiple leaking hose... taking away skills will just have coaches finding new passes that are equally as dangerous... quick fixes never last. it takes many hours of TRAINING and CONDITIONING that frankly parents don't want to pay for and gyms can't provide in 6 to 8 hours per week to safely execute elite tumbling.

If it doesn't have an impact then why change it? And for all you saying that it's "no big deal" (to me this is a big deal bc I'm a tumbling director, I've made coaching tumbling my life). What if they said "only straight ups, single downs, only one jump per routine and dances can only be one 8 count. This is garbage bc the USASF won't stand up to horrible coaches. And why in the heck do we have meetings and vote on things if OUT OF NO WHERE BOOM here's a rule, deal with it. This sucks for people that love tumbling, of you don't and don't care, shame on you. And whoever did this is an idiot and doesnt know tumbling.

my problem is it is just covering o hole of a multiple leaking hose... taking away skills will just have coaches finding new passes that are equally as dangerous... quick fixes never last. it takes many hours of TRAINING and CONDITIONING that frankly parents don't want to pay for and gyms can't provide in 6 to 8 hours per week to safely execute elite tumbling.
I agree with you. It is a bandaid right now. But a bandaid that will help a wound until they find a way to eliminate the problem.

I completely agree that it really sucks for those athletes. Not many gyms have any of those, let alone a handful. I think it is going to be difficult for the small % that have those skills now, but it allows for more creativity without increasing risk.

These rules are really for the coaches that aren't qualified and will give the USASF a way to figure out how to require more qualified coaches. There won't be any injuries for teams that are pushing their star athletes for the bigger and better skills so they can "hang" with the big teams.

You're right about pushing the star athletes.

But do you also think that the lax (arguably slack lax in some opinions) in tumbling skills will open up the door for unqualified coaches to push for level 5 teams before the kids are ready to be level 5? You take away some of the elite tumbling skills that separate the top 10 finishers from the random teams that got an at large bid 3 weeks before worlds because nobody was at the competition......

I feel like we are going to end up with more of those type of teams....because essentially, in some ways we just lowered the level 5 bar.

If it doesn't have an impact then why change it? And for all you saying that it's "no big deal" (to me this is a big deal bc I'm a tumbling director, I've made coaching tumbling my life). What if they said "only straight ups, single downs, only one jump per routine and dances can only be one 8 count. This is garbage bc the USASF won't stand up to horrible coaches. And why in the heck do we have meetings and vote on things if OUT OF NO WHERE BOOM here's a rule, deal with it. This sucks for people that love tumbling, of you don't and don't care, shame on you. And whoever did this is an idiot and doesnt know tumbling.
It's not that they don't know tumbling, its that they know the lack of qualified tumbling instructors out there.

What is easier to do - require teams have certified tumbling instructors that pass a rigorous exam, or help eliminate the problem? For right now, its easier to remove the skills until they can figure out a way for everyone to be trained properly.

Yeah what is the point of saying that rules are only changed on a 2 year cycle and have a voting system only to up and decide to make changed whenever they feel like it. Do these people need to take a government course and learn how that process is suppose to work?!?!?

Back