All-Star Level5 Tumbling Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's not that they don't know tumbling, its that they know the lack of qualified tumbling instructors out there.

What is easier to do - require teams have certified tumbling instructors that pass a rigorous exam, or help eliminate the problem? For right now, its easier to remove the skills until they can figure out a way for everyone to be trained properly.
But like I have said before, the INJURIES will NOT change, this is why I say whoever did this doesn't know tumbling. Tumbling injuries are those who are learning fulls/doubles, NOT whip-skills. And if the CURRENT system in credentialing doesn't require coaches to demonstrate the knowledge to teach these skills then what's the point? It's a bandaid, injuries will INCREASE bc now people think they are "closer". And as I said before, what's the point of having these meetings if decisions are going to be made anyway. I have been to these meetings and when things like this were brought up they were shot down quickly.

I am going to trust Debbie Love over others and say that if she thinks the problem is with those teaching and not the athletes doing it then I am going to think that this rule is crap.

If it is so dangerous please explain to me why Kelsey Rule came back from an injured ankle last year to compete the passes she is this season? She had a sprain earlier this year too right only to come back to compete the same passes. If they are dangerous then I would expect for those passes to be pulled from that routine seeing as how she has injured her ankle twice.

After reading this thread I now have multiple points of view, you guys are confusing me lol. Part of me thinks maybe this is just temporary, they are just limiting skills until there's fewer janky skills or they come up with a way of credentialing coaches, and part think they think this is the fix. I also agree that it may do the exact opposite of what they want, fulls and doubles will be pushed harder and faster by unqualified coaches because they won't need to be pretty to possibly eventually add another out of it

I just think it really affects small gyms that have young talented athletes, but they have no younger tram to ut them on. Example my CP has almost all her level 5 skills yet the highest team under a senior team in our gym is level 3. That just hurts.

Well the tumbling rule will surely effect those elite teams such as top gun and F5. Im sure there are more teams but those are two teams that I know the young ladies and young men excel in tumbling. Some of those athletes has tumbling skills that they cant even throw at the level 5 level all ready

I hate lowering the bar like this.

There may not be many throwing the tumbling being discussed, but why would we take out the elite athletes from our sport? What would any sport look like if the top 10% were removed? You are left with a bland, watered down version of itself, albeit more competitive I guess. Ridiculous.

Ok let's look at college, tumbling changed, has the winner? NO, same teams still dominate, which will be the same with all-star. I'm sorry but for anyone saying that college hasn't changed, they fooled ya because if you watch videos from '04 and earlier they are WAY better. This is dumb, all they did was make the best teams better and not require coaches to get trained, nothing will change other than routines will be less entertaining, so if that was the goal then success.

The thing is.. There are quite a few athletes who have worked so hard to achieve and then compete those skills. I don't think that's fair to them..
Isn't the whole point of the word 'competition' to reward those that can excel beyond 'average'? If everyone only had average skills, there would be no competition, just a show.
So, double backs should be legal because someone can do it?

So, double backs should be legal because someone can do it?
I think my statement was taken out of context without the original post, which was very specific as to what was 'average' vs. above average.

But actually, my answer to your question might still be "yes", at some point. If the double back skill is developed to an extent that the technique is solid and the risk is reduced in relationship to that, who's to say someday that should not be acceptable? At some point in the past, a double probably looked too risky to many people. But the strongest athletes continued to evolve and grow their skills to the point where that could be safely executed - and then continued far beyond. Why should we set limits if there is a chance those skills can be safely achieved?

IMO the skills that are allowed need to be controlled by measuring and evaluating the technique behind them, not the skill itself.

Back