All-Star Lower Back Pain From Bad Basket Toss...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2012
So tonight at practice, we had some newbies come in to try out. We were working on baskets, one of the new guys shot his toss back and I went flying backward. Luckily it was just a straight ride, but I did not get caught and landed on my back and slightly neck. (Didn't want to catch myself with my hands/elbows so they wouldn't break...) Immediately my right leg got tingly. It went away after like 2 minutes and I was able to walk/jump/stunt after. My neck is fine, but my lower back is pretty sore right now. I am icing it as I type this...

I guess what really concerns me is that my leg got tingly in the first place, and if this is something serious that I should be watching? I have had back issues in the past (fractured lower back and countless pulls) and am trying diligently to ice and advil up. Has anyone experienced this or can give me advice? I am bad about resting up and sitting out of practice, but really don't want to mess with anything back related again.

Thank you much :)

So tonight at practice, we had some newbies come in to try out. We were working on baskets, one of the new guys shot his toss back and I went flying backward. Luckily it was just a straight ride, but I did not get caught and landed on my back and slightly neck. (Didn't want to catch myself with my hands/elbows so they wouldn't break...) Immediately my right leg got tingly. It went away after like 2 minutes and I was able to walk/jump/stunt after. My neck is fine, but my lower back is pretty sore right now. I am icing it as I type this...

I guess what really concerns me is that my leg got tingly in the first place, and if this is something serious that I should be watching? I have had back issues in the past (fractured lower back and countless pulls) and am trying diligently to ice and advil up. Has anyone experienced this or can give me advice? I am bad about resting up and sitting out of practice, but really don't want to mess with anything back related again.

Are you saying that your coach allowed NON-CHEERLEADERS to do a basket toss at tryouts? Why hasn't she been reported yet?

Are you saying that your coach allowed NON-CHEERLEADERS to do a basket toss at tryouts? Why hasn't she been reported yet?

YES. this wasn't even an official tryout... but an "open gym" setting. Myself, one of the bases and the back have been cheering a while, but the other base was completely new.

This coach actually owns a cheer gym in northern Wisconsin alongside coaching our University. ... I am not a fan and have actually considered reporting her if it wouldn't destroy our University program. I am pretty certain that her gym is not up to regulations as well.

YES. this wasn't even an official tryout... but an "open gym" setting. Myself, one of the bases and the back have been cheering a while, but the other base was completely new.

This coach actually owns a cheer gym in northern Wisconsin alongside coach our University. ... I am not a fan and have actually considered reporting her if it wouldn't destroy our University program.

how about reporting her to not have your back and others' backs destroyed. id say thats more important than the program.

how about reporting her to not have your back and others' backs destroyed. id say thats more important than the program.

Thats true. How would I go about reporting? Can I submit an anonymous report? I don't want to plaster my name all over this....

This coach actually owns a cheer gym in northern Wisconsin alongside coaching our University. ... I am not a fan and have actually considered reporting her if it wouldn't destroy our University program. I am pretty certain that her gym is not up to regulations as well.
Oh. My. God. I hope she realizes that that you could have died or been paralyzed today. Start looking up coaches on the AACCA. The woman needs to leave her position, she is putting you guys in danger.

And please see a doctor. ASAP.

AACCA Certified Coach Search

Allow me to go on a rant.

PEOPLE LIKE THIS ARE THE REASON CHEER KEEPS MAKING THE NEWS FOR INJURIES. YOU DON'T SEE GYMNASTICS HAVING THIS PROBLEM, BECAUSE GYM COACHES DON'T PLAY THAT GAME. AT ALL. IS SHE INSANE? I'M NOT SURE WHAT SKILL SHE ASKED YOU TO EXECUTE IN THE AIR, BUT THINGS COULD HAVE ENDED SO MUCH WORSE.

PARENTS, INVESTIGATE YOUR CHILDREN'S COACHES. EVEN IF THEY ARE CERTIFIED, THEY MIGHT NOT USE PROPER JUDGMENT. ASK YOUR KIDS WHAT HAPPENS AT PRACTICE, AND KNOW HOW A PRACTICE SHOULD BE RUN. REMEMBER THAT AS THE PARENTS, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DEMAND BETTER COACHES FOR YOUR KIDS. THE SCHOOL MIGHT NOT THINK WE DESERVE IT, BUT WE DO. FIGHT FOR IT.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, ATHLETES: DO NOT, FOR WHATEVER REASON, BE AFRAID TO TELL YOUR COACH IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF A SKILL. LET HIM/HER KNOW. A GOOD COACH WILL UNDERSTAND YOUR FEAR AND NOT RUSH YOU. IF YOUR COACH IS BREAKING RULES OR SKIPPING PROGRESSIONS, REPORT HIM/HER TO THE AACCA IMMEDIATELY.

Stepping off of my soapbox now (but only with one foot). Can we start doing exposés on coaches/schools that allow/do this to our athletes?

Last edited:
Oh. My. God. I hope she realizes that that you could have died or been paralyzed today. Start looking up coaches on the AACCA. The woman needs to leave her position, she is putting you guys in danger.

And please see a doctor. ASAP.

I probably should. Thank you for being blunt with me. She is totally unsafe, and I do not want anyone else to get seriously injured because of it.

@fiercebowsnpoofs

each spinal nerve is associated with a patch of skin in the body (they're called dermatomes if you're interested.) The lower back is associated with the lower extremity, so if you injured the L4 nerve, for example, from the side of your thigh all the way down to the inside of your foot could have been tingly, numb, or experienced pain. if the tingling was quick and resolved on its own, it's possible you just momentarily contacted the nerve or pinched it when you landed, but please see a doctor anyway to make sure nothing was damaged, such as a disc, especially with your history of fracture. your spine is important.

b5kwsl.jpg

Your coach let u continue to practice after that? What did your parents do/say when they found out?

Back