All-Star Male Flyer... Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nice sexism bud.
Sexism definitely not, and I've been in the business long enough to know what is frowned upon. I have seen several boys over the years that could probably fly very well but if you can name a Top 5 team at any of the big 4 (i'll keep it lvl 5 for argument sake) that had a male flier (other than basket or prep in the pyramid) then I'll listen to ya. I'm not saying that boys don't have the skills. I suggest that you listen to the NACCC meeting that had MANY people talk of bringing the Masculine Male back to the sport. I don't believe having a male flying in the air pulling body positions is very Masculine at all. I am for increasing males into the sport, just not as fliers.

Sexism definitely not, and I've been in the business long enough to know what is frowned upon. I have seen several boys over the years that could probably fly very well but if you can name a Top 5 team at any of the big 4 (i'll keep it lvl 5 for argument sake) that had a male flier (other than basket or prep in the pyramid) then I'll listen to ya. I'm not saying that boys don't have the skills. I suggest that you listen to the NACCC meeting that had MANY people talk of bringing the Masculine Male back to the sport. I don't believe having a male flying in the air pulling body positions is very Masculine at all. I am for increasing males into the sport, just not as fliers.

Definitely sexism. For whatever reason you're treating me differently, not cause of my skills, but because of my gender. That's sexism. You can argue that sexism is ok in certain situations, but you can't argue that it's not sexism. Cause it definitely is.

No big 4 ever has. I want to be the first.
I'm also for increasing males in the sport, but I'm also for increasing equality (ironic considering what day it is).

I don't want to be given the spot based on gender, but I don't want it robbed from me either! I just want an equal chance. Give the spot to the best.

Definitely sexism. For whatever reason you're treating me differently, not cause of my skills, but because of my gender. That's sexism. You can argue that sexism is ok in certain situations, but you can't argue that it's not sexism. Cause it definitely is.

No big 4 ever has. I want to be the first.
I'm also for increasing males in the sport, but I'm also for increasing equality (ironic considering what day it is).

I don't want to be given the spot based on gender, but I don't want it robbed from me either! I just want an equal chance. Give the spot to the best.
Well you didn't comment on the lack of masculinity that it puts on the sport but whatever, I'm done. It won't happen at my gym because of that but I wish you the best of luck.

And if you want to increase boys in the sport it won't happen by showing them how much you want to do a "girl's" part.
Look.

If guys don't want to do cheer, then they don't want to do it. Period. You can't MAKE someone do something that they don't want to do. You can always talk them into giving it a try but it's ultimately up to THEM whether or not if they should stay and continue. My point is this:

If these are the steps that cheerleading is taking to get more guys to come in, then it IS somewhat sexist. You're implying that guys won't want to do it if they have an equal opportunity against a female. This kid is only asking for a shot at going up. If he wants to do it, then let him be.

Goodluck on finding a gym to let you. I just do not think that in the next say 5 years there will be any big contender at worlds allowing a male to fly in an elite stunt. I do not think it is sexist it is following the look of the sport. I personally feel like if you want to make cheer look like a true sport, then putting a male in the flyers spot is not going to help at all. People are going to look at that stunt confused and wonder why that team put a boy in a girls position.

Trust me I love Premier all male, they are uber talented and can make a stunt look great, but I do not think I would like to see a coed team with male flyers. It would just throw it off completely to me. However if you think you have what it takes more power to you and try your little butt off. It won't hurt to try for something that you are really passionate about. If you think you deserve the spot the only thing you can do is try and convince the coach or gym owner. Goodluck!

I don't want to be on a novelty team. I'm not gonna give up worlds to get the chance I deserve. I shouldn't hafta try out for an all male team to fly. I deserve the same chance as any girl does.

Who said anything about giving up worlds? In unlimited coed, which is now obsolete, you can have 36 males on the floor. Premier just didn't fit the age range of a senior division. There are no novelty teams in the Senior Unlimited Coed division at worlds. And by saying it's a "novelty" team means you lack respect for them actually being a competitive team.

This is kinda like the "fetus" flyers debate. There are girls that can do the stunt better than most "fetus flyers" but it's just easier to put the "fetus flyer" up because she is smaller. It's not that the girls who are basing the "fetus flyers" don't have the talent to fly, but it's whatever the team needs to make the stunts work. The coaches just do what they think is best for the team to make them competitive.

I don't know, but if you figure it out, holla at me :) Those would be some mean bases if they could fly a full size guy in an elite stunt. They say I'm big for a flyer and I weigh 103 haha.

Back