All-Star Male Flyer... Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Flying is a graceful, almost artistic thing. Girls bodies, especially in uniforms, look more "graceful" in the air than boys. Boys don't have the same shape and don't move the same way girls do. Boys, IMO, just don't look as good as flyers.

Also, if you're not the best flyer on the team and won't be point, there is no where for you in the formation that it won't look awkward. If there is one random boy flying to the left of center or something, that looks really...off. It's like having all 5'3" flyers, then one random chick that's 4'6" in the second panel or something.

(Why don't any of my posts flow today? Hmph.)

Why is flying only a girls position? If a guy can do it better, more power to him.

Those that are not in the sport that watch it are going to wonder why there is a boy in the air and not a girl. Sorry that just is how it is. I'm not saying it is just a girls position, but I would say if you questioned people inside and outside the industry a good 95% or more would say flying is for girls.

A good example of how a guy can flyer better then many girls are the videos of Matt Mcgrath flying at Stuntfest in Daytona. He can rewind and full up better then tons of girls, but do you think that James Speed would ever take a girl out of the air so he could fly in her place? No because it would throw off the entire look of the routine. I'm not saying it will never happen, but with the way things are happening currently it would be years and years down the road before I could ever see it happening.

People talking about Jamfest Indy boy basket was Cheer LegendZ Small Limited - His name is Travis and his hitch kick double basket is AMAZING - He syncs with the girls and is point basket - So there are no symmetry issues (judges like Symmetry) If a boy at my gym could kick double basket, and was small enough, and I didnt have to "stack" a group just to have him do one, I would probably let a boy fly a kick double - Also, if a pyramid cant hit because my middle prep doesnt have the strength to do something, I would also feel okay letting a boy fly middle and probably even double down out of it. So.... My Personal preferences - I am okay with boys flying Kick Doubles and Possibly a Middle Layer (Prep) in pyramids. Thats it!

Call me sexists and A) See if I care, and B) See if it changes my mind....

Ummm, my elevator full downs are pretty fabulous, but I know it will never be in a routine. haha. You just have to grow a pair, and deal with it. How many girls would love to fly, but aren't given the opportunity? You said you haven't worked on level 5 stunts, so why take the time out of a practice to work on them for you? I think it's a bit selfish.

You know guys, I'm gonna go rogue here...for two reasons. For one, while it may not "look as pretty" or bc it's not acceptable at the moment or "normal", neither were male cheerleaders once upon a time. It wasn't fair then to stereotype them then and it really isn't fair now. Technically it is rather sexist. When women want to do jobs, sports, etc. that are traditionally "men only", don't we scream sexism? While it isn't very common, there are female football players. Maybe not in the pros (at least that I know of). You think men like seeing girls not looking traditionally "feminine"? Of course not...neither do a lot of women for that matter. Did it stop them? No.

Progress in any field towards a change from the norm takes time. It wasn't acceptable 20 years ago to be openly gay, but fortunately we've made a lot of forward progress. Which leads me to my second reason. I understand and acknowledge the argument regarding more "masculine" cheerleaders. Male cheerleaders have worked really hard to fight that stereotype and I get that. However, some men do not fit that stereotype either and shouldn't be forced to conform bc it makes others uncomfortable. Personally, I think it shows a fierce squad to be able to put up male fliers...especially if most of their bases are females. Double fierce. Think about it...not every female base wants to be a flier. Many are quite content with the prestige of being "beastly bases" are they not?

Maybe we can include a separate division or something to initially warm up to the idea if it makes so many people more comfortable?

Maybe we can include a separate division or something to initially warm up to the idea if it makes so many people more comfortable?

ANOTHER divison? Smh...I don't think that is the answer. if a gym wants to put up a male flyer? Go for it, but don't make a new divison just for male flyers because many gyms won't be able to/won't want to field a team in this divison. JMO.

i look forward to the day where a coed team has all girls basing and all guys flying.

while i agree that equality is important, i think we just need to think about practicality. while level 5 girls are strong, it would be harder for them to base a guy, who is probably going to be heavier than most girl flyers, because he is a guy and his body is different. im sure there are some girls who could base a guy easily because they are strong bases, but its just not common, but if you find that kickbutt stunt group, power to ya!

this isn't sexism, because im sure many people out there would love to see boys flying, but its a matter of practicality, like a said before. not an intentional biase, just where the sport is at the moment. every year, the bar is raised higher, one day this may be a normal thing.

and i agree with whoever said that girls look more graceful in the air. once again, this is how bodies are made, but there are graceful men out there than could have a straight let scorp and have the prettiest kick double known to man (no pun intended.)

ANOTHER divison? Smh...I don't think that is the answer. if a gym wants to put up a male flyer? Go for it, but don't make a new divison just for male flyers because many gyms won't be able to/won't want to field a team in this divison. JMO.

I'm not familiar w/all of the many different levels in the industry, but I just saw it mentioned itt a minute ago that there used to be one?

Back