All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I showed two videos to my family to try to get them into cheer, one of a fierce guy vogueing in a dance, and one of a bunch of guys basing and tumbling, I can guarantee what video would get them interested. Maybe that makes them slightly terrible people, but I know they're not alone. Watching guys being essentially 'too gay' (which I assume is what they mean by 'theatrical'- overtly gay to the point of extreme femininity), can actually be intimidating to someone for whom the dancing/performing aspect isn't their thing. I know what they were TRYING to get at during the Doral meeting was having a place for BOTH the straight gents AND the gay ones, although I don't know how that means that gay guys can't be buff and tough? Maybe they thought (I'd LOVE to know who they polled for this grand idea): that by having theatricality be minimized, they could increase the participation of males by getting the guys, who they believed were being 'intimidated' by the super flamboyant nature of what routines have become, BACK into cheer.

AGAIN: I love seeing what everyone of all ages, races, genders and preferences bring to this fantastical sport. This was wrong, poorly thought out, and did NOTHING to achieve what I assume was their goal. I'm just trying to hazard a guess at where the HECK they were going with this..

I must say, I do agree with you and you worded that perfectly.
I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals, heck some of my best friends in cheer were homo- oder bisexual!
But:
Maybe it's because over here in Europe we're still a little bit behind things, but most guys in cheer over here are the ex-footballplayer type of guys that are rather not very inclinded to dancing at all for example. Non of them is homophopic but the just cannot imagine themselves doing any kind of shimmy shimmy strut strut. That makes some coed allstar teams' performances seem rather alienating to them.
What I'm trying to say without it coming across wrong is: This etiquette rule might have had in mind to encourage more guys into the sport that would otherwise be intimidated by the flamboyant nature of some allstar guys.

Phew, I've got a feeling like this could come across really wrong. I just can't really word what I'm trying to say. :S

I must say, I do agree with you and you worded that perfectly.
I have absolutely nothing against homosexuals, heck some of my best friends in cheer were homo- oder bisexual!
But:
Maybe it's because over here in Europe we're still a little bit behind things, but most guys in cheer over here are the ex-footballplayer type of guys that are rather not very inclinded to dancing at all for example. Non of them is homophopic but the just cannot imagine themselves doing any kind of shimmy shimmy strut strut. That makes some coed allstar teams' performances seem rather alienating to them.
What I'm trying to say without it coming across wrong is: This etiquette rule might have had in mind to encourage more guys into the sport that would otherwise be intimidated by the flamboyant nature of some allstar guys.

Phew, I've got a feeling like this could come across really wrong. I just can't really word what I'm trying to say. :S

I (we?) totally get what you are saying... it comes down to a style... Some gyms have a very cut and dry "UCA" style; boys do the basics, dance is not the highlight of the routine as much as the stunting... and that's fine. As other gyms have a more dramatic "NCA" style where performance is very evident and enhances the routine... Both are great and should have an equal chance of winning...

Cheerleading is a sport that embraces performance, or at least it used to be. The statement in the title of my thread really offends me. I may be standing lone on that - and thats okay. I feel this is a sugar-coated way to say "We don't want the guys to look gay! We want a better imagine of heterosexuality to promote to get more boys in the sport!" While I don't like things like guys flying elite stunt sequences to bow and arrows - or crazy hair flips - That doesn't mean someone can have over exaggerated facials or performance or to quite frankly - be themselves. This is an equal opportunity sport and I have seen a TON personal development from A LOT of people in the sport. I have seen homophobic heterosexual males embrace the values of change and equal opportunities for all.

Long story short - I have contacted GLAAD and ACLU to seek more advice from them and find out what their stance is on this issue is. I would appreciate ALL feedback from others so I can go into open conversation with them and maybe be introduced to ideas or arguments that I am not seeing due to my own opinions. Please share your thoughts and I will continue to update this thread and I hear back from them and let you know what these organizations thoughts and opinions are on the issue.

Am I being defensive and reading to much into this? Or is this really a discrimination issue targeted at males in our industry?

good for you kyle! I do not think you're being too offensive at all, and in fact, I too found it offensive and discriminatory. Seeing as I can only pick and choose so many battles, it comforts me to see someone stand up to this and not let it slide. Some of the proposed rule changes are one thing, whatever, we can manage. but some of the other ones are just uneccessary and even insulting. we aren't recognized as a sport... and cool okay, but we DO perform. that's a big reason why so many people enjoy it. that adreneline rush, the pressure to put everything you have out on the floor in 2 minutes and 30 seconds? performance. you start taking all of that away from cheerleading, and whats left? these rules are literally destroying this sport.

Do you think it is possible that when they say sexual or flirtatious before it, that they are saying that males are overly exaggerating inappropriate motions, not necessarily being flamboyant?

I don't think there is anything a lawyer can do because i just thought of it in a different way then we all took and it could easily be construed to evoke a different meaning.
No, bc it should have ended with- should be male and female appropriate, avoid anything overtly sexual or flirtatious...that applies to both genders
Also-females exaggerate "inappropriate" motions if we're referring to shimmying, hair flips, etc. and they weren't signaled out w/something specific like males..so I don't buy it.

That's kind of how cheerleading was in the US before - at least college cheerleading for sure, I don't know the history of guys in all-star. I think those are the guys that the USASF feels are currently alienated.

I have never, I repeat NEVER watched a routine and ever thought, "geeee ..... I wish those guys would be less "theatrical or flamboyant!" Just the opposite ..... I LOVE IT!!! It is always entertaining and fun. It's why I, as a mother and spectator, fell in love with this sport. I wish they would do it more! When standing in a crowd, watching routines, you always hear people say "God ... I love watching that boy!" Never, "ewww ... I wish they would tone it down." Who's the "phobic" that came up with that rule! It's just sad!

I have never, I repeat NEVER watched a routine and ever thought, "geeee ..... I wish those guys would be less "theatrical or flamboyant!" Just the opposite ..... I LOVE IT!!! It is always entertaining and fun. It's why I, as a mother and spectator, fell in love with this sport. I wish they would do it more! When standing in a crowd, watching routines, you always hear people say "God ... I love watching that boy!" Never, "ewww ... I wish they would tone it down." Who's the "phobic" that came up with that rule! It's just sad!

I heard it was Happy Hooper and one of the owners from CA who wrote the rule - but I have no evidence to support that - it is just hear say from a few people. Perhaps someone could chime in? BlueCat

I heard it was Happy Hooper and one of the owners from CA who wrote the rule - but I have no evidence to support that - it is just hear say from a few people. Perhaps someone could chime in? BlueCat

BlueCat won't speak about it, he's on the board and can't discuss.

Cheerleading is half athleticism and half entertaining. Why is it fair to tell guys they can only perform at 50%. The boys they are trying to restrict are some of my favorite to watch. If a kid can work that dance I want to see it boy or girl gay or straight. My 9yo dd loves to dance and she idolizes the boys who can work out a dance. It seems that they are trying to take the entertainment part out of the sport and for most kids that's half the fun.

So I just copied this from what I said in the other thread.​
NOW I am by no means an incredibly flamboyant homosexual but I am damn well gay. With all of the actions to stop bullying you think that rule would be the last thing they should be trying to implement. I can tell that if I didn't have cheerleading as my social outlet, I probably wouldn't be sitting here right now. When I came out to my parents and my coaches heard they all clapped for me and gave me a hug. I'm really at a loss for words but USASF, you are dumb. You are REALLY, REALLY dumb.​

I don't think it's right to ask males to tone down anything. To me that's discriminating. I personally love watching the co-Ed teams and how a lot of the guys put so much into it.

Back