All-Star Mats For Home Use?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Santa brought CP these Dollamur roll-up mats last year. She has the plain blue ones since the elves apparently hadn't yet branched out into the pretty colors. We have hardwoods and zero carpeting so I feel like they were a really good purchase. These mats have been wonderful for knocking around on (stretching, jumps, practicing but not tumbling), and I expect they'll last a long time.

Hey! Thanks for posting this. We stored ;) a mat like these for my daughter's prior rec cheer program for a long time. She has had a hard time finding a comfortable stretching surface (wood floors at home) since we had to give it back. I assumed they were more expensive. She's going to be thrilled to find one under the tree.

I had a trampoline and a mother who loved to spot me on skills she had no business doing, which led to major technique issues for me in my handspring, which led to more issues down the road. My mom spent more money on privates to fix the technique issues after buying the trampoline, than she would have if she had just let me train in the gym.

That's all personal experience though, so it could be different for anyone else.

Your poor mom probably meant well but it clearly wasn't a good idea. I thought about this yesterday and realized I have to withstand the temptation to be spotting BHS with CP if we get a cheese mat, even if she wants to. If and when she's already working it in the gym she can maybe practice at home, but not me giving her a "headstart"... :eek:

ETA: I was so close to ordering a 72'' cheese mat from matsmatsmats but I changed my mind. It's just too expensive. I will set an alert to see if one comes up on craigslist...

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who sprained their ankle really badly and still has issues with it from landing a standing tuck with one foot on and one foot off of a cheese mat.... I personally don't feel like it's the best to have at home. Panel mats for stretching or easy drills is fine.

I never really thought about it because I could do and was usasf certified to spot all the skills my sister was working.
My coach is against home tumbling, but she's had moms come in asking how they can help their babies with their bridges or back bends. She usually just tells them to work on strengthening arms and legs, etc. When they won't take no for an answer she sits them down and teaches them how, reminding them when and where (on what surface) it's appropriate to. She'll only do that for bridge ups, back bends, and bwos for small kids.
There is a kid on the youth 1 team I coach who's mom is the closest to a real live SM I've ever come. She bought her a panel mat for last Christmas and makes her practice back handsprings on it all the time. You can definitely see it in her technique that it was rushed.

Is there a big difference between the 1-3/8" thickness and the 2"? The 1-3/8" seems to be the most popular but I was thinking the extra cushion on the 2" might be nice? Or is it unnecessary?

Is there a big difference between the 1-3/8" thickness and the 2"? The 1-3/8" seems to be the most popular but I was thinking the extra cushion on the 2" might be nice? Or is it unnecessary?
I just ordered a 1 3/8" 4 foot by 6 foot mat for my 5 year old to use at home for Christmas and it seems really nice and thick enough. She is constantly in trouble for tumbling on the bed, the couch, the hard wood floor etc.. She only does skills she already has, bwo, backbend Kickover, front walk overs, cartwheels, round offs. It seems really nice, carpet covering it and it rolls up and we found it on sale for 60.00 free shipping.

15c82a153c4d09694aada1012c443c59.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's too small really .. Thinking about donating it to the gym .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol so funny ... On December 1 I had shared an old video from my facebook. (We use to have a big folding cheese mat) and Jaylen was working on BHS....

This is really where the training stopped because anything else was just to much. Anyways to this day .... The ugliest tumbling Jaylen has is her BHS. Like its the worst and they spend so much time cleaning it up and she still can't break habits so unless she is reminded each pass before she tumbles she can not put her feet together.

Her tuck is high and beautiful she doesn't have to wrap for them, her layouts are nice and hollow and her feet aren't separated in them ... But she can't put her feet together in a bhs unless you remind her each time to do it.

I know there are a lot of feet apart BHS a offenders, even cheer famous girls on panthers but I can't help but always wonder is it because of the training she got from me or before we got to this gym

Eta: here is a link where you can see her BHS the day she got her standing 3&2 to full.

I chose this video because you can clearly see her BHS.

Yes I know her fulls are ugly which is why she is still working Fulls and hasn't moved in to anything harder .. So they are still a work in progress
... But her BHS is atrocious and it really shouldn't be at this point

Instagram

Last edited:
Can I ask where will the mats be placed? Where the mats goes you need to make the ceiling is high enough for her tumble so she can avoid injury.

If she's going to be doing this outside than it's better obliviously. But whatever you do, don't allow her to do it where there is low ceiling. Please, no matter what she says, do not allow her to practice advanced tumbling skills without her mastering it with a qualified coach.

I don't know of any sites but just wanted to give you another reminder a lot of injuries can be prevented if there was more safety with at home practices.

I had a trampoline and a mother who loved to spot me on skills she had no business doing, which led to major technique issues for me in my handspring, which led to more issues down the road. My mom spent more money on privates to fix the technique issues after buying the trampoline, than she would have if she had just let me train in the gym.

Backyard tumbling is a real pain to fix, from a coaching perspective.

I cringe when someone tells me "I taught her that at home" because I know it's going to be a long couple of privates.

I once had a girl with a trampoline "tuck" whom I had to take all the way back to walkovers because I just couldn't even.

Back