All-Star Mats For Home Use?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Home Gymnastics Mats - EZ Flex Sport Mats

I have 2 of these (the 2") in my basement. I got the velcro roll so they can be put together to make them longer or wider. They will slide a bit on a wood floor (probably wouldn't be bad on carpet) but my kids used to do a lot of standing tumbling on them. They are fairly lightweight and very easy to store. For the price I like them much better than the panel gymnastics mats.

We love these as well. Last year they ran a special to buy 2 of the 1 3/8" thickness for $125. I stocked up :)
Our playroom has 6 of them velcroed together (3x2) as the extra flooring on top of the carpet. Now I just need to buy some springs... ;)

What size cheese mat do you have? I looked on matsmatsmats too.

Our cheese mat that we bought many years ago was from Resilite.com. It is 72" long. Worked great for backwalkovers and BHS when the kids were young. I think $200 is probably the cheapest you will find a good quality home cheese mat unless you can get one used on craigslist or ebay.

Our cheese mat that we bought many years ago was from Resilite.com. It is 72" long. Worked great for backwalkovers and BHS when the kids were young. I think $200 is probably the cheapest you will find a good quality home cheese mat unless you can get one used on craigslist or ebay.

Yeah that's what I thought. We need the 72''. Thanks!

I think this is the best deal, matsmatsmats, $195:

Incline Mats - Cheese Mats

Yeah that's what I thought. We need the 72''. Thanks!

I think this is the best deal, matsmatsmats, $195:

Incline Mats - Cheese Mats
I keep this mat in the trunk of my car. It has helped countless kids get their back walkovers and this season I'm really drilling/conditioning for BHS... And this mat has really helped. Really well made and got here fast.

That's cute... :) Do you know how long it is? I've seen cheese mats in either 48 or 72 inches long. I think 48 is too short? I want to get a 72 inch one for xmas for my girls but they are not cheap. The best I've seen is $195 with free shipping.
I actually don't remember the size. It was smaller, so probably the 48. If Santa's Internet Buyer-In-Chief remembers correctly, it was around $150. We really didn't know their going prices so we weren't sure if we were getting a good deal or not. Smart of you to check here first! Good luck!

That's cute... :) Do you know how long it is? I've seen cheese mats in either 48 or 72 inches long. I think 48 is too short? I want to get a 72 inch one for xmas for my girls but they are not cheap. The best I've seen is $195 with free shipping.
I *think* a 48 inch one sounds about the size of the ones I use for hot-tots classes. (like toddlers/little kids)... so a 72 inch one sounds about right for an older girl!

Santa brought CP these Dollamur roll-up mats last year. She has the plain blue ones since the elves apparently hadn't yet branched out into the pretty colors. We have hardwoods and zero carpeting so I feel like they were a really good purchase. These mats have been wonderful for knocking around on (stretching, jumps, practicing but not tumbling), and I expect they'll last a long time.

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a big difference between the Dollamur mats Piglet bought and the Ezyflex mats Quitthedrama bought? They look very similar, the Dollamur were a bit less, but I have to check the shipping. Thank you all so much...these are just what I was thinking of for her.

I don't think she uses a cheese mat much anymore...but I am not there during her tumble classes usually. Are the cheese mats mostly for working BHS or do they have other uses? I don't want to spend the $ if it isn't something she needs. ;)

I think 48'' could work for a smaller child working kickovers and rolls. But for an older child and for working BHS it would have to be 72''. So it's 72'' or nothing for us I think! Today is the last day to order to get it before xmas on matsmatsmats. *ugh* Still haven't decided.

Am I the only person who doesn't think its a good idea to tumble at home?

Yeah I probably am..
No, I just think it depends on what level your child is working on. For working on a backbend or practicing a BHS, I don't have issue with it. Higher than that to try to learn on own is probably not a safe call.

No, I just think it depends on what level your child is working on. For working on a backbend or practicing a BHS, I don't have issue with it. Higher than that to try to learn on own is probably not a safe call.
I had a trampoline and a mother who loved to spot me on skills she had no business doing, which led to major technique issues for me in my handspring, which led to more issues down the road. My mom spent more money on privates to fix the technique issues after buying the trampoline, than she would have if she had just let me train in the gym.

That's all personal experience though, so it could be different for anyone else.

Am I the only person who doesn't think its a good idea to tumble at home?

Yeah I probably am..

I'm seeing most parents saying their kids make up routines and stretch and play around on them. I think getting a cheese mat or pac man/roll to learn a fwo, bwo or bhs is a waste of money and potentially risky, depending. lt could result in a lot of questionable technique. Getting roll out or gymnastic flat mats to play around or stretch on isn't a big deal to me.

Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to tumble at home. I'd be afraid that using a cheese mat without a trained instructor's supervision is just asking for bad technique and habits that are potentially a) unsafe and b) difficult and frustrating (& expensive) to fix.

Back