High School Mean Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 1, 2012
So I recently just tryout out for my high school's cheer team. They have three teams this year Varsity, JV, and freshman. Of course the girls with the highest score go to Varsity and next lowest JV and then the rest go to Freshman. I got on freshman and I overheard some mean cheerleaders who were in my middle school team last year and now on JV laughing at me and saying mean things and that I deserved to get on Fresh. I know I'm probably going to tell my coach but I know they will still glare and say mean things behind my back. I don't know what to do!! I hate it. I worked so hard last season so I could at least get on JV and I end up on Fresh. People are already making fun of how sucky we are. ): advice please! Btw I live in Nevada :)

dont tell the coaches. thats just pathetic.figure out your problems by yourself.

That's a bit harsh.

You have two choices, really. Let it get to you, or keep working, be strong, and get through it. As much as hearing these things hurts, it will make your year a lot easier if you hold your head high and have fun!

dont tell the coaches. thats just pathetic.figure out your problems by yourself.

Not helpful and a perfect example of the behavior the OP was talking about.

Like Mamarazzi said, you have a couple of options. I don't think I'd go to the coach about it unless it keeps up or they say things directly to you. You're going to run into people like this your whole life and now is a great time to develop constructive ways to cope with it. As hurtful as the comments were, try to let them roll off of your back. Then once the emotion is gone think about what it was that they said that might have a grain of truth. Is there something you want to improve on? If so, work on that. If you're happy with your level then just shrug it off and realize that some people have to knock others down to feel better about themselves.
Hang in there. High school can be brutal but it gets MUCH better!

I think it's pathetic that you would say something so rude to a girl who's trying to improve.

Anyways, Mamarazzi and Dawgshow are very right. This kind of happened to me too but they were the girls in my stunt group. I rarely heard it, but I knew it was happening, ignored it, and just kept working hard. The girls eventually got kicked off/quit (ironic, huh?). So just have a good attitude and work hard no matter what. And remember that sometimes coaches can only take a certain number of girls on each team and it's often based on stunt groups, so don't be discouraged.

Also, I would tell my coach sort of casually, "I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but I did want to let you know..." or something like that. There are going to be mean girls all throughout high school, not just cheerleaders. Just roll with the punches, find the right group of girls to hang out with, and it won't affect you! Like dawgshow said, high school gets much better! (Sorry this was long... :D)

not necessary. she asked for advice if you don't have any for her then do not post on the thread.
My advice would be to just ignore it, make some new friends on the freshmen team and then prove those girls wrong. if you don't react to it they will stop. if they don't stop then that is when you should go to the coach. that behavior is unacceptable.

If they have time to be negative about their fellow program teams, then they aren't really focused on improving their own skills or team. Maybe they are on JV now, but if they are going to have sour attitudes then they aren't going to get far in life regardless.
Example: When I was in high school, I cheered with a couple girls that had elite tumbling since elementary school. They knew that they were going to make the team every year, so they didn't try AT ALL. They were downright mean in 9th grade, doing the whole "I'll invite everyone on the team except 2 or 3 girls to my sleepover", etc. and other childish things, which was tough freshmen year. I made other friends though and realized that I didn't want to associate with these girls anyways even when I did get invited. I had bigger goals in life than just talking behind other girls backs and trying to go to "high school parties". When we ran laps, these girls ran slower than a grandma walks. When we conditioned, they cheated. When we went to tumbling classes, they skipped and sat on their butts. Guess who ended up cheering in college + getting a 4 year degree at a top university and guess who didn't graduate community college?......In the end its about more than skills. Without a positive attitude, self motivation, and hard work put in, you don't get to your full potential regardless of where you start. As one of my favorite quotes goes "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard".

Ignore their negativity.... its just a road you don't want to go down in my opinion, as these girls probably have other issues internally or at home that cause them to need to put others down. Telling the coach "they're saying mean things" will = tattling on them in their minds..... You could go to the coach however and say something along the lines of "I feel that there isn't much team unity between squads", which would be taken a little differently as you wouldn't be pointing out specific girls.

Overall though, I recommend you focus on being the best that you can be and not even giving these girls another thought. So what if you made the freshmen team as a FRESHMEN! That is normal! Many girls around the country don't even make any team at all. You aren't renounced to that team for the rest of your life! Enjoy the moments of cheering with new friends, being involved in your school, and getting to cheer on players that you'll actually know in your classes and such rather than worrying about what these girls think. Before you know it, you'll be a senior on Varsity cheering your last game and wondering where all the time went!;)

I was asking for decent advice not drama because everyone else who posted something gave me some really good advice. Thanks everyone else who posted something becuz I will def apply to it! So please don't start anything because I am just trying to get some advice on what to do. :)

Work as hard as you can this season and stay out of drama like this. Do what your coach tells you and take criticism and advice so you can do your best and prove them wrong! And then when they see how well you're doing, you'll have the last life. People will always be rude and talk, always. You just gotta keep your head high and keep your eyes on the prize. Don't let catty girls get in the way of what's really important to you.

Back