Mental Block Of Tumbling On Grass/basketball Court/etc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2013
I made it onto my school's varsity sideline team only because of my tumbling (I'm working my double fulls right now) but since I also do all star, I'm so used to tumbling on a spring floor that I'm absolutely terrified to tumble on anything else (like the dead mats, grass, track, or basketball courts I'd use for school cheer). My coach is really frustrated with me because at practice I only do springs when she knows I can be doing more.
Has anybody had a similar problem? Please help! :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

You should only be throwing up to a layout without a mat anyways. I transitioned myself to a basketball court when I got to college. It wasn't hard but it took some time. Start with a spotter that you trust and have him/her spot you on the skill you want to throw, slowly spotting you less and less on each pass. You need to get your body used to the hard floor. When tumbling on a hard floor you need to commit 100%. Don't doubt yourself mid-pass or something could go wrong.

I made it onto my school's varsity sideline team only because of my tumbling (I'm working my double fulls right now) but since I also do all star, I'm so used to tumbling on a spring floor that I'm absolutely terrified to tumble on anything else (like the dead mats, grass, track, or basketball courts I'd use for school cheer). My coach is really frustrated with me because at practice I only do springs when she knows I can be doing more.
Has anybody had a similar problem? Please help! :(

Also be sure you are completely stretched out and warmed up. I had to get used to this new feeling of tumbling on a hard basketball court and after doing tucks the backs of my ankles would really hurt. So don't throw anything if you don't feel totally warmed up.
The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back