All-Star Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
I recently got over a mental block of doing a standing back handspring (it took about a year). Now I throw it without thinking. But when I get spotted for roundoff back handsprings, I freak out and won't do it! I know I can do a standing, how can I work up my confidence to throw a roundoff handspring?

My daughter has had this same problem in the past. I'm no coach but I remember them having her throw her round off and then throwing her backspring right after even if it wasn't connected. So for awhile it was kind of like a round off/standing bhs and then little by little it starts to get connected.:)

my friend has the same problem! she tries is but she gives up during the handspring and collapses on her face... when i first got mine i just though *round off, then look for my hands on the floor* and i would get over.

http://fortheloveoftumbling.com/for...hing_Tips/Entries/2010/5/3_Breaking_Free.html
This is an awesome explanation of what to do.
I have had this problem in the past. I honestly takes a lot of visioning and self coaching before even going to practice to believe you can do it. It also may be due to other stressors in your life. Sounds cheesy, but after trying to just fix cheerleading, if it doesn't work, then you should examine other aspects of your life to see if it's carrying over into your cheerleading.

I recently got over a mental block of doing a standing back handspring (it took about a year). Now I throw it without thinking. But when I get spotted for roundoff back handsprings, I freak out and won't do it! I know I can do a standing, how can I work up my confidence to throw a roundoff handspring?
If you can...stop thinking before you tumble. Just count 5,6,7,8 and go! Or come up with your own 3 or 4 original words before you go. You can say apples, grapes and peaches it doesn't matter... just say the words only once and immediately throw the skill. Do this everytime without hesitation. Use a spotter for 100 spots. No extra tumbling or privates during this time allowed. If you follow these rules you will be throwing that skill on your own with confidence after about 60 spots. Don't worry about it and stress yourself out and you will be tumbling in no time at all.

we're completely opposite, i can throw my roundoff back handspring all day long, but my standing scares me. but i agree with star1998, just don't think about it. i can't help but freak out and i need to stop, but when i run i just clear my mind and focus on the power in my run.

What I did to get rid of my RO BHS mental block which really helped was to ask my coach if they can let me go by myself, but follow me as if they were going to spot me, and each time get further away so you gain confidence in your tumbling each time!

Well I used to have a mental block so I took a little break from tumbling and then I came back to do it and I could do it! You should also find out what caused your mental block because that can really help you get rid of it. The worst thing you can do is stress about it! Good luck!

usually when you get blocks its because you are thinking about it to much, you just need to throw it. Each time you do it, it will be easier and easier. Also, if you ever fall while you are tumbling immediatly get right back up and throw it again because if you dont then you will probably get a block.

Back