Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am so sorry Payton. That's sounds very frustrating for you. Thank you for giving me a glimpse into your and my cp's mind. I wish you much luck! I had my cp start counting before she did her standing bhs so she was focused on counting instead of throwing it. She said it worked for her! Then she went to her first tumbling class at her new gym and did 3 standing bhs in a row. She's never done that before. Maybe counting would be something to try. Good luck Heather!

Thanks for the advice and support!

I am on a level four team and have been havering problems for almost 2 and a half years. I don't know if I'm afraid of doing it or my body forgot how to just go for it. Does any one have any helpful suggestions????
I would try taking private tumbling lessons with a specific TUMBLING COACH, NOT JUST A COACH IN GENERAL. I had an utter fear of my bhs and back tuck and after about 3-4 privates you get SO MUCH progression, you learn the correct body placement for the skill, get private attention and spotting, and you'll look even greater at open gym or practice. I can say with one private a week, in the past 4 weeks i have been able to not only get over my fear of backhandpsirngs and back tucks, but i'm able to master them as well!! best of luck!

What I did when I had a mental block on my tuck is think that u can do it over and over again, think of how to do it before u tumble and just look at the floor, then look up with a smile on ur face and do it! If it was a bad metal block, then............. They just need to think about it, if you don't land it the first time then you just get right back up and do it again, now I can do a back tuck in my yard! Cheerleaders hate mental blocks, well at least I hated mine!!

RahspiritAllstars

Does anybody have any suggestions at all on mental blocks for standing bhs and running bhs. I tend to be able to throw my running easier but when it comes to standing I freeze up. I don't think I am afraid but for some reason when I go to throw it it feels like my body can't remember how to do it. I have a round off hand spring tuck and a standing bhs but my mental block is mainly in my standing. Please any help at all will be appreciated

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Does anybody have any suggestions at all on mental blocks for standing bhs and running bhs. I tend to be able to throw my running easier but when it comes to standing I freeze up. I don't think I am afraid but for some reason when I go to throw it it feels like my body can't remember how to do it. I have a round off hand spring tuck and a standing bhs but my mental block is mainly in my standing. Please any help at all will be appreciated

I have had a very big mental block before. What I had to do was just go for it, it may sound harder than it actually is. Your body has muscle memory so it knows what it's doing even if you don't think it does. When you are going to atempt it tell yourself that you can do it, and try pep talking yourself all the way through. The first couple times will be harder for you but once you keep doing it, you can break your mental block. Your fear may come and go occasionaly but you mainly just have to try and push through as hard as you can, your body doesn't forget this stuff, the memory is like riding a bike, we may fall but you have to get back on and push through our fear and pretty soon it becomes easier. I had trouble with this concept for a very long time at first but then my cheer idol was giving advice, and many other people were too, and they said "Gotta risk it, to get the biscuit". So just give yourself little pep talks, and breathe a lot. You can get through this!!

To help me get over mine I count or have someone count for me, because then I'm thinking about doing the skill on count rather then the fear of the actual skill itself .

Whenever I have tumbling blocks, I wish when I was frustrated my mom could give me encouraging advice. You could try that! Just tell her it will be all right, encourage her, but don't put on to much pressure.

I'm on level 2 and I have an okay standing BHS. it's not great but I've never been scared to do it. My round off handspring was better and really solid until I went to open gym. I went to throw my round off handspring and people around me kept running near me and I got freaked out. Since then I haven't been able to throw it and my coaches are really pushing me. Any suggestions?

I'm on level 2 and I have an okay standing BHS. it's not great but I've never been scared to do it. My round off handspring was better and really solid until I went to open gym. I went to throw my round off handspring and people around me kept running near me and I got freaked out. Since then I haven't been able to throw it and my coaches are really pushing me. Any suggestions?

Alex, my only advice is to just throw it. I was just like you, always very confidant until a little thing like that would happen. Your BODY knows what to do, its just your mind. Get in that gym, smile, be confidant, warm up, stretch out and throw that pass because girl you know you have it!

As a mom dealing with the after effects of a very long mental block, all I can say is to say NOTHING about it unless she brings it up first. Just let her know that it's fine and it will come back. Reassure her that her coaches are there to make sure she's safe and that you know that it's scary once you've fallen. Then sit back, bite your tongue, and vent away in the parent's forum :)
Really? Just say nothing? Is that the trick. Oh lawdy that is going to be tough, but if it helps her, then I am game! My daughter has been going through this for 2 years now. It is absolutely heart wrenching to watch her struggle with it. A perfectionist in all she does and this is the one hurdle she tries over and over again to conquer. Coaches can be cruel and make it worse. I try to help and now after reading some of these posts, I'm fearful I've made it worse also. Ok - buttoning up from here on out about it with her and hoping that helps! So glad to be part of this forum!

@beachfeet every child is different but I know that when I talk to my CP about it, it's worse. You're right about coaches making it worse sometimes. I don't think it's intentional, but I've seen casual comments and even just looks crush a child. Just try to remember that tumbling is only one part of cheer.

Welcome!

Really? Just say nothing? Is that the trick. Oh lawdy that is going to be tough, but if it helps her, then I am game! My daughter has been going through this for 2 years now. It is absolutely heart wrenching to watch her struggle with it. A perfectionist in all she does and this is the one hurdle she tries over and over again to conquer. Coaches can be cruel and make it worse. I try to help and now after reading some of these posts, I'm fearful I've made it worse also. Ok - buttoning up from here on out about it with her and hoping that helps! So glad to be part of this forum!

It's very hard not to get involved and try to help your child. But this is her dilemma and she is the only one that can work it out so I'm glad you're going to take the advice and do/say nothing. The pressure she puts on herself is plenty.

@dawgshow you are so right. She wants so badly to please her coaches and more often than not feels like she disappoints them (because of those looks she gets or the shaking of the head when she baulks). I try to remind her that she has to do it for herself first. Pleasing others - including me - is icing on the cake. She loves cheer - has beautiful jumps and is a beautiful dancer - tumbling is where she is stuck. She will get it though, I know she will. And now I will sit quietly and support her without pushing. Thanks for the support. Exactly what I needed to hear.

It's very hard not to get involved and try to help your child. But this is her dilemma and she is the only one that can work it out so I'm glad you're going to take the advice and do/say nothing. The pressure she puts on herself is plenty.

Absolutely she does. And, yes, it's hard to not get involved to help. This is a learning experience for both of us for sure! :)

Back