All-Star Mommy Dearest...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2010
My mom stays for all of my practices since we live so far away and without her there, I pretty much shut down but that's a whole differnt story lol. And when she is there she hears all of the other moms talk. Some of the things they say are just down right nasty. My mom has even complimented a child before only to be snapped at by the mother because the child "can do those all the time and it's so easy for them". Some of these moms have even critized me in front of my mom without realizing she was my mom. Has anyone else ever has a "mommy dearest" moment with moms at the gym?

What cheer mom hasn't? Unless you never stay at the gym...or your gym closes practice...but even then if there is a place for parents to gather your going to have gossip.
Back in AZ we would have parents talk about kids right in front of their parents all the time...My oldest was not the strongest tumbler but made up for it in other areas. One time I was in the back of the room reading and overheard a mom saying "Ugg I don't know why that little fat kid is on our team, she can't tumble and our team is never going to win with her on it." I spoke up and said "yeah that's my kid..." I think she melted into the floor. Funny enough that team went on to be undefeated locally as a Youth 2, it wasn't until we went to Nationals that we came in 2nd (and it wasn't due to lack of tumbling).
Worse is competitive gymnastics...especially pre-elite. When you think your kid is next Nastia or Shawn, it's amazing the things people will say. One mom would sit in the viewing area and compare her child to all the others, including picking apart our kids technique or strength. I was never more happy when then decided to move her kid to pre-team!

What cheer mom hasn't? Unless you never stay at the gym...or your gym closes practice...but even then if there is a place for parents to gather your going to have gossip.
Back in AZ we would have parents talk about kids right in front of their parents all the time...My oldest was not the strongest tumbler but made up for it in other areas. One time I was in the back of the room reading and overheard a mom saying "Ugg I don't know why that little fat kid is on our team, she can't tumble and our team is never going to win with her on it." I spoke up and said "yeah that's my kid..." I think she melted into the floor. Funny enough that team went on to be undefeated locally as a Youth 2, it wasn't until we went to Nationals that we came in 2nd (and it wasn't due to lack of tumbling).
Worse is competitive gymnastics...especially pre-elite. When you think your kid is next Nastia or Shawn, it's amazing the things people will say. One mom would sit in the viewing area and compare her child to all the others, including picking apart our kids technique or strength. I was never more happy when then decided to move her kid to pre-team!

I totally understand the gymnastics thing! it happened all the time in gymnastics too. And that's horrible what they said about your daughter, do people have no conscience these days?

My mom stays for all of my practices since we live so far away and without her there, I pretty much shut down but that's a whole differnt story lol. And when she is there she hears all of the other moms talk. Some of the things they say are just down right nasty. My mom has even complimented a child before only to be snapped at by the mother because the child "can do those all the time and it's so easy for them". Some of these moms have even critized me in front of my mom without realizing she was my mom. Has anyone else ever has a "mommy dearest" moment with moms at the gym?

youth and mini practice is the worst time to ever sit in the lobby!!

Yeah, it can get nasty in that parent area. I even had parents tell me that they overheard other parents talking smack about me! My old gym refused to share parent emails with other parents, in an attempt to prevent gossipping.... FAIL, they just sit in the observation room and trash talk the whole time. Moral of the story? Those cheer moms who have nothing better to do with their adult lives than sit at the gym a few nights a week and make rude comments about children have ISSUES, and you should never take anything they say to heart.

As a coach, I'm always surprised to hear parents talking about the coaches! Sitting there "armchair" coaching (who should fly, formation ideas, critiquing technique) as I'm right next to them. Last week I even composed a joke email that I sent to my owners that we should send to all the parents that think they can do a better job! LOL

Ugh! We have this drama now! Except its not just the mother its also the cp. The cp comes out on break and complains about teammates/coaches to mom and mom makes nasty comments too. Now I know we have all made comments without thinking, but every practice....come on!

unfortunately, its every gym And furthermore, its every sport. I hear the same stories from my friends whose sons play hockey,football,baseball and soccer. we r not exclusive in our industry. Its a shame.

Back