All-Star "moving For Cheer" Thread Continued.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't recall. What is the highest level of all star you have competed at and what skills beyond that level do you have that could go immediately into a routine? No playing I will have x in a few months.

**What if 'gun control' meant flyers had to keep their arms tight so they don't elbow the bases?**
the highest all star I have competed is level 3(highest my gym offered) and I competed high school which was similar to level 4. I currently have a round off handspring full. yes I know, at the moment that won't make a worlds team but I am getting there.

the highest all star I have competed is level 3(highest my gym offered) and I competed high school which was similar to level 4. I currently have a round off handspring full. yes I know, at the moment that won't make a worlds team but I am getting there.

At level 3 are you average with your teammates or are you heads and tails stronger and better than them?

That tumbling pass could land you on a worlds team depending on the gym. We have all seen some teams with kids that barely tuck so you are ahead there.

**What if 'gun control' meant flyers had to keep their arms tight so they don't elbow the bases?**

At level 3 are you average with your teammates or are you heads and tails stronger and better than them?

That tumbling pass could land you on a worlds team depending on the gym. We have all seen some teams with kids that barely tuck so you are ahead there.

this season my gym didn't have level 3( it did previously) so I am on senior two and yes I am heads and tails above them. there is one other girl who is at the same skill level that I am on my team. I would also have been much better than most of the level threes at my gym. and I would consider myself a pretty strong base. my weakness would probably be that I don't have great experience is high level stunting. the most I've done is high school, switch ups, full ups, tick tocks etc..

Okay, so you may have a chance of making a L5 team. Now it is up to you and your parents to figure out if it is right for you.

But Chapin is really good and you're basically guaranteed a ring now that River Bluff is 4A.......
True, but guessing more politics involved and possibly being new to the school could be a hinderance.

I'm obviously biased but I've had nothing but good experiences with ACX dating back to 2003. I hope it works out for you to make the drive if it's what you really want! I know it can be taxing. The Charleston gym may be another good option for you. I know they were looking in to fielding a level 5 sometime in the near future, but I know right now they kick butt and take names in level 4!

I think another question you need to ask yourself is what are you willing to settle for?

For example, your skills as stated could make an L5 team at various gyms across the country. However, the gyms you've specifically named are no your average Joe Smoe who only fielded a LVL 5 World's Team in the past year or two.

If your goal is just to get to world's, then you need to be honest with yourself, because just going versus going for the intent of a ring are two different objectives. And, as a senior, you will not only be walking into the politics of a new high school but also a new gym and if you think some of those kids are fierce, well wait til you meet their moms.

Honestly, from an outside reading it, it seems like you know what you want but just want people to back up that opinion. And, I get it---I was your age not that long ago, but being realistic, it will not be as seamless as you see it in your head. Can it work? Yes. Is it going to go perfectly? You can't count on it.

And remember, just getting to World's is one thing, actually making it to the finals is an entirely different caliber of team that isn't always easy to break into. Have you spoken to any of these 'dream gyms' about their requirements? Are you taking privates in your gym to make up for where you lack?

Last edited:
this season my gym didn't have level 3( it did previously) so I am on senior two and yes I am heads and tails above them. there is one other girl who is at the same skill level that I am on my team. I would also have been much better than most of the level threes at my gym. and I would consider myself a pretty strong base. my weakness would probably be that I don't have great experience is high level stunting. the most I've done is high school, switch ups, full ups, tick tocks etc..

From my experience we don't really teach kids how to stunt on our Worlds teams. Not being able to come in knowing how to base the stunts you see Cheer Extreme do in the video's would be a reason you wouldn't make a team. We do have kids who do a combo to full but.....their basing abilities get them on the team.

My advice would be to work on a punch front through to full........our kids do 5 jumps to tuck at tryout's........ Not having 4/5 jumps to back will almost always keep you from making the team

I'm not saying what you want isn't attainable....heck my own kid is very goal based and driven to achieve those goals. I definitely think you can do it. But, what skills you need and your chances of making a Worlds team is going to depend on where you tryout, it's as plain as that. Without you having a gym picked yet.........I feel like we're just throwing observations out there..

When I cheered in the states I drove an hour and a half to cheer at Maryland Twisters. This was before worlds started and then the next year was the first worlds so I wasn't driving just to go to worlds. I've gone to worlds but my team was only 20-30 min away. I wouldn't have wasted $ on flying to and from practices every week even if I could afford it. Can you find some other level 5 base, back spot, and a flyer to practice with to learn to stunt. I was a flyer and then turned to a base when I made the worlds team I was on and I got the opportunity to learn over the summer. I was extremely lucky to be able to learn when I had not based much before but I was willing to do anything.

I get you want to learn and be on a great team but what about an io5 or ioc5 team?

True, but guessing more politics involved and possibly being new to the school could be a hinderance.

I heard of a girls transferring to Chapin late in their high school career and making the team just fine....and families moving to the area just to cheer at Chapin and be closer to ACX. If I felt my kid had the skill to make Chapin I'd probably find a way to get her there (if I cared about those things assuming ) Worlds globing teams in SC are few and far between (just Rockstar actually) so if you're a super talented high school cheerleader leaps and bounds better than your team, but a level 5 all star team isnt a possibility and perhaps your school already isn't performing well academically.....why not. Chapin has excellent academics as well as the new magnet high school that allows kids to participate on the nearby high school teams

Granted her story revolves around just all star now, but being from SC and being familiar with high school cheer, if Chapin was where she wanted to transfer then yeah I low key understand.

I really don't think you are being completely realistic about this yet. I know you WANT to, but can you REALLY drive the 2-3 hours one way 2-3 days a week it would take to get to the closest gym with a worlds team? Are your parents truly willing to make that commitment or are you trying to talk them into it? Are you willing to give up EVERYTHING else in your life except school for this, because you won't have a social life outside the gym if you do this, you won't be doing any extra curriculars at school, you will be missing things like homecoming, prom, ect because you will be in the car 6 hours 3+ days a week. Is that a sacrifice you are willing to make because, even though you think you will be able to do it all, you won't. Given that drive and the amount of practice worlds teams require, you will be doing nothing but school and cheer. Also, can you handle getting home around midnight 2 school days a week? If practice is over at 9, you will be 11:00-12:00 getting home.

I also think you need to honestly and objectively evaluate your skills.
Do you have a solid standing tuck and 3-4 jumps to tuck? If not I don't know that a worlds team will take you.
Is your round off hand full a nice, open full that fully rotates every time or a fetal position full you are barely landing?
Do you have any specialty skills that would contribute?
You already said you don't have experience basing at level 5, but could you get to some clinics that could help?

If you don't have solid skills to make a worlds team, I really don't think the 2-3 hours one way is worth it. Is there a compromise gym closer where you could say, cheer level 4 and work on strengthening your level 5 skills?

I am curious about what you end up doing and how it all turns out. I hope you post updates.

I don't think she said she had to make a Worlds team? Level 4 or 5 was what she was looking for... correct me if I'm wrong. Let us know what options you have (if there are any others apart from your current gym) and how long of a drive they are. 2-3 hours one way does seem like a really long drive!

I heard of a girls transferring to Chapin late in their high school career and making the team just fine....and families moving to the area just to cheer at Chapin and be closer to ACX. If I felt my kid had the skill to make Chapin I'd probably find a way to get her there (if I cared about those things assuming ) Worlds globing teams in SC are few and far between (just Rockstar actually) so if you're a super talented high school cheerleader leaps and bounds better than your team, but a level 5 all star team isnt a possibility and perhaps your school already isn't performing well academically.....why not. Chapin has excellent academics as well as the new magnet high school that allows kids to participate on the nearby high school teams

Granted her story revolves around just all star now, but being from SC and being familiar with high school cheer, if Chapin was where she wanted to transfer then yeah I low key understand.
yes I would love love love to attend chapin. moving up there is being less likely of a possibility though. my mom would consider traveling up there though.

I really don't think you are being completely realistic about this yet. I know you WANT to, but can you REALLY drive the 2-3 hours one way 2-3 days a week it would take to get to the closest gym with a worlds team? Are your parents truly willing to make that commitment or are you trying to talk them into it? Are you willing to give up EVERYTHING else in your life except school for this, because you won't have a social life outside the gym if you do this, you won't be doing any extra curriculars at school, you will be missing things like homecoming, prom, ect because you will be in the car 6 hours 3+ days a week. Is that a sacrifice you are willing to make because, even though you think you will be able to do it all, you won't. Given that drive and the amount of practice worlds teams require, you will be doing nothing but school and cheer. Also, can you handle getting home around midnight 2 school days a week? If practice is over at 9, you will be 11:00-12:00 getting home.

I also think you need to honestly and objectively evaluate your skills.
Do you have a solid standing tuck and 3-4 jumps to tuck? If not I don't know that a worlds team will take you.
Is your round off hand full a nice, open full that fully rotates every time or a fetal position full you are barely landing?
Do you have any specialty skills that would contribute?
You already said you don't have experience basing at level 5, but could you get to some clinics that could help?

If you don't have solid skills to make a worlds team, I really don't think the 2-3 hours one way is worth it. Is there a compromise gym closer where you could say, cheer level 4 and work on strengthening your level 5 skills?
Don't forget extra practices.

Back