All-Star "moving For Cheer" Thread Continued.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've been fortunate enough to have been a part of some good teams over the years but I never joined a program just to win. I joined because I love competing and cheerleading.

Losing does suck sometimes but winning isn't the end all be all.
I completely agree with you and I wouldn't be doing it if I just wanted to win, I do honestly love this sport, it's just tiring when you're always losing.

Ask yourself:

If you moved to Big Deal Athletics and never came close to winning a comp (like, you had the same kind of season that your current program has had) would you regret the switch?

Winning is awesome. As a coach, my goal is to have fun yet put teams on the floor with a shot at doing well. However, no one can really guarantee that.

Ask yourself:

If you moved to Big Deal Athletics and never came close to winning a comp (like, you had the same kind of season that your current program has had) would you regret the switch?

Winning is awesome. As a coach, my goal is to have fun yet put teams on the floor with a shot at doing well. However, no one can really guarantee that.
that's a very good point. it honestly all depends on the type of experience I have. I may have a great experience at a different gym even if we don't win. in that case, I would not regret it.

that's a very good point. it honestly all depends on the type of experience I have. I may have a great experience at a different gym even if we don't win. in that case, I would not regret it.
Have you actually visited and talked to people from this gym? It is possible their coaching styles don't work for you. I hath definitely seen that.

**What if 'gun control' meant flyers had to keep their arms tight so they don't elbow the bases?**

Have you actually visited and talked to people from this gym? It is possible their coaching styles don't work for you. I hath definitely seen that.

**What if 'gun control' meant flyers had to keep their arms tight so they don't elbow the bases?**
I haven't yet but I plan to

Lol at this point I don't think she really cares and is going to take much advice. She's going to do what she wants and even if people say it's a bad idea she won't care lol

I wish I had your luck. actually we used to live in Atlanta when I was young(before I started cheer) Wish we stayed there then I would have plenty of options!
I live in a town 20 minutes outside of Winston-Salem, NC. 15 minutes to Carolina Spirit, 20 to CEA Salem, 30 to CEA Kville, 40 to GAC...it goes on and on. Wish you the best of luck with whatever you and your family decide.

My 2cents
I have a few girls in my carpool that are traveling a great distance to be at a well known gym. Their previous history is similar to yours... Small unsuccessful gym that had mediocre lower to mid level teams.
It was their dream to go to the famous mega gym and be on a top 10 worlds team.
1.5 years later all I hear out of them is how they can't wait for the season to be over and done because they are missing out on so much of their personal life.
When they first arrived it was the glamorous honeymoon ... All was well. But they are very little fish in a huge ocean at the mega gym. They did not progress due to inhibition, time constraints and purley when your on a worlds team "training" is over. They are bodies on the mat that contribute in stunting. They do not have "featured" spots, tumbling passes etc.
I feel bad for them but on the other hand It takes a very driven athlete to go beyond the already demanding requirements a worlds team demands. They don't grow on trees! Mega gyms have plenty of prime produce to feature. Suzy and her mom have no clout.
My advice is to really ask yourself is it the sport your everything or is it the idea of being on a successful team what is appealing?
Because at the end of the day it's not all glitz and glam its a lot of blood sweat and tears. And then double it with a long distance commute.
We take it season at a time in my house.
My daughter is as committed now as she was 5 years ago.
Who knows what next season will bring as she matures. We will cross that bridge as we come to it.
Good luck in your decision... It is definetly only one you and your family can really make

My 2cents
I have a few girls in my carpool that are traveling a great distance to be at a well known gym. Their previous history is similar to yours... Small unsuccessful gym that had mediocre lower to mid level teams.
It was their dream to go to the famous mega gym and be on a top 10 worlds team.

1.5 years later all I hear out of them is how they can't wait for the season to be over and done because they are missing out on so much of their personal life.

When they first arrived it was the glamorous honeymoon ... All was well. But they are very little fish in a huge ocean at the mega gym. They did not progress due to inhibition, time constraints and purley when your on a worlds team "training" is over. They are bodies on the mat that contribute in stunting. They do not have "featured" spots, tumbling passes etc.
I feel bad for them but on the other hand It takes a very driven athlete to go beyond the already demanding requirements a worlds team demands. They don't grow on trees! Mega gyms have plenty of prime produce to feature. Suzy and her mom have no clout.

So. much. yes. in. one. post.

I don't aim to deter folks from leaving small gyms for big ones. However, this is the reality.

At Teeny Tiny All Stars, you're the big fish in your small pond. At Big Name All Stars, I tell kids they're going to be the small fish in the ocean next to 354 sharks and a whale.

Kids think, "I was last pass with a whip double! I'm for SURE going to make a L5 team at Big Name!" When in reality, Big Name already has more speciality Level 5 tumbling than they can shake a stick at.

Your double (depending on how good it is in comparison to other kids) is likely not an automatic ticket to a Worlds team. It's a ticket to Restricted 5. Or possibly a Level 4 crossover situation.

Same with flying. You might think "Oh I was point at Old Gym! I'm so going to be point at Big Place"

Dude. What was point material somewhere else is likely "How do you feel about basing this season?" material at Big Place.

And that's not a knock on Big Place. They just have so much quality talent that what might be viewed as a ticket to a L5 team at a small gym, is likely "Oh, that's cool. Welcome to Level 3 or 4!" at somewhere bigger.

Last edited:
Back