All-Star Must-read Books!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn is a pretty great book! Not cheer related, but I read it in about two days!

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn is a pretty great book! Not cheer related, but I read it in about two days!
Read this one as well but defiantly for ages I'd say maybe 16 or 17 and up. It can get very creepy and a little disturbing at times. But a very quick read.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My favorite new book is Death Comes to Pemberly by PD James. I am a huge Austen-phile so a sequel to Pride and Prejudice just tickled my fancy!

the only cheer related book i ever read way back in the day maybe early 2000's was "weve got spirit the life and times of americas greatest cheerleading team" was about Greenup County cheerleading team. pretty decent book too, from what i can remember

None of these are cheer specific, but...
For anyone with a Kindle (or who has the Kindle app), try out The Kindness of Strangers: Penniless Across America by Mike McIntyre. It's about a guy who decides to hitchhike across the country with no money, relying only on the kindness of the people he meets along the way (for reference, this happened in the mid-90's when hitchhiking would have been much more common/acceptable). If you've seen Craigslist Joe (currently on Netflix and I also highly recommend), it's a very similar premise.

This books sounds very much like "Into the wild" by Jon Krakauer. I
definitely recommend reading it!

Other wise, i think the Girl with the dragon tattoo series by Stieg Larsson is worth reading. But maybe for 17+ they are pretty dark.. Plus the movie with Mr Daniel Craig is great!

How could we not mention the literary masterpiece "Complete Cheerleading" by our own ASCheerMan! Available on Amazon!
Loved Mists of Avalon when I read it, anything by the late Anne McCafferty is also gold (Dragonriders of Pern series).
More modern books I've read and liked: The Host (much better than the Twilight series), The Fever series by Karen Ann Moning (very much 18+), and I'm a sucker for anything done by Meg Cabot.
Just finished "Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander" by Phil Robertson. Really good autobiography!

Kind of off topic, but I miss going to the library and using the card catalog and the Dewey decimal system to find books. In those days, finding 20 sources for a paper was like my own version of "National Treasure".

I have a Masters in Library and Information Science....the card catalog has never been relevant in my life time (in fact the library at the university where I went to grad school uses old catalog cards as scratch paper...in little boxes next to the golf pencils). And I also was never taught the Dewey decimal system

I have a Masters in Library and Information Science....the card catalog has never been relevant in my life time (in fact the library at the university where I went to grad school uses old catalog cards as scratch paper...in little boxes next to the golf pencils). And I also was never taught the Dewey decimal system

Thank you for confirming my pending demise.

How do you find nonfiction if you don't use the Dewey decimal system?

How do you find nonfiction if you don't use the Dewey decimal system?

I never said I didn't use it or didn't know it. I just said that I was never taught it in grad school. With catalog computers knowing its not really relevant. Sure I could tell a patron that wants a fairy tale/fable to go plunder around 398.2 or if you want a book on crafts go to the 700s. Need poetry? Go to 811. But that's just what I've picked up thru experience

But no. I didn't have a Dewey Decimal course.

The Inner Game of Tennis (by Timothy Gallwey)

One of the first sports psychology books ever written. Will really help your stunting and tumbling by teaching the proper mental state for learning and repeating skills (not just about Tennis but skills in general) -- Our coach made us all read it

I never said I didn't use it or didn't know it. I just said that I was never taught it in grad school. With catalog computers knowing its not really relevant. Sure I could tell a patron that wants a fairy tale/fable to go plunder around 398.2 or if you want a book on crafts go to the 700s. Need poetry? Go to 811. But that's just what I've picked up thru experience

But no. I didn't have a Dewey Decimal course.
That makes sense. Completely misread your post.

A Time To Kill- John Grisham. And then watch the movie because Mathew McConaughey makes a pretty fabulous Jake Tyler Brigance.

Back