My Daughter Wants To Fly. Suggestions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Holy moly - 5'3" is the tallest girl, and many, many 4'10"'s/4'11"'s. Wow.
I noticed the girl who was 5'3 was a senior and former gymnast. I wonder if she was shorter than 5'3 when she started on the team. With that said this is just one College.

Holy moly - 5'3" is the tallest girl, and many, many 4'10"'s/4'11"'s. Wow.
That is actually on the larger size for a D1 coed squad. We had girls told at places like Alabama not to bother trying for coed if you were over 5 feet. You would definitely be all girl.

That is actually on the larger size for a D1 coed squad. We had girls told at places like Alabama not to bother trying for coed if you were over 5 feet. You would definitely be all girl.

Curious, what is the average height for all girl at a D1 school? For example is 5'2 considered tall for an all girl D1?

Curious, what is the average height for all girl at a D1 school? For example is 5'2 considered tall for an all girl D1?
I would say yes, 5'2" is tall for a d1 flyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, found this, but I am not familiar with College Cheer. So, I do not know how good or competitive their cheer team is. Alabama does not have a roster that includes heights posted on the internet.

Hawaii Athletics - 2014-2015 Cheerleading Roster

I remember when I was first looking in to cheering at colleges and was told that there was no point in even looking at Hawaii because they typically don't take anyone taller than 4'11.

I would say yes, 5'2" is tall for a d1 flyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Bear in mind that there is some variation in terms of whether that team is strictly large coed, small coed, etc.

I'm sure someone is going to pipe up and say "I know someone who cheered for University of NCA Jackets Large Coed and she was 5'6."

Well, that person is a unicorn.

Yes.

Bear in mind that there is some variation in terms of whether that team is strictly large coed, small coed, etc.

I'm sure someone is going to pipe up and say "I know someone who cheered for University of NCA Jackets Large Coed and she was 5'6."

Well, that person is a unicorn.

I was specifically asking about flyers for the D1 all girl teams. Are their flyers for the all girl teams also typically 4'11 and under?

I was specifically asking about flyers for the D1 all girl teams. Are their flyers for the all girl teams also typically 4'11 and under?
No, not all of them. I've seen plenty of normal sized girls flying on all girl and small coed D1 teams, at least at UCA. Yes, the top schools will have their choice of athletes and usually have smaller flyers, but there are plenty of great schools that have flyers taller than 4'11".

MOST d1 Flyers of any type, all girl or coed tend to be at most 5'2"-5'3" in my experience. There are exceptions for sure, but they are generally 5'3" or under and 110 lbs or less, most are around 90-100 lbs.

A lot of height with all girl specifically depends on the talent pool.

Ex: if there are 50 girls in tryouts as flyers only and they're all 5'0 and under, taller girls might get passed over if they're exclusively flying.

On the other hand, if there is a large contingent of girls at 5'2 or above in the flyer department, you kind of need to consider builds of athletes that you wouldn't otherwise.

In summary, learn how to base as well. I keep coming back to it, but even the tiniest girls could stand to learn basing skills. The flyer talent pool is way too deep to be a one-dimensional cheerleader.

I know I'm double posting but I had another thought on this topic that I will probably forget by the time I make it home tonight.

As a flyer applying to colleges and planning for tryouts, you need to MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

Ex: I know everyone likes to be all "I'm totally going to cheer at UofL this year!" or "Totally going to cheer at Bama!" and "Can't wait to be a UK Wildcat!" (only picking on those programs because they come up all the time when you talk to kids about where they want to cheer) but keep it real with yourself.

You might be good, but depending on where you try out, every other flyer in the room has been to Worlds, and several of them are probably Worlds medalists or NCA champs. You're not the big fish in the small pond. You're the medium fish in the ocean next to 5 sharks and a whale.

By all means, apply to and try out at your Dream Cheer School, but don't let that be the ONLY school you where you apply/tryout.

Everyone's not going to be a UofL flyer. They just aren't. But if you cast a wider net, you MIGHT have a shot at cheering or flying somewhere else.

Ex: Those Big Deal teams are great, but round out your list and check out some of those top 20 programs in other divisions (ex: There are some teams in the top 20 of the small coed division that don't bring home a jacket but are up and coming.)

No one wants to be that girl who wanted to be a _____________ cheerleader but got cut and has not applied to or tried out at any other school and feels SOL.

Last edited:
I know I'm double posting but I had another thought on this topic that I will probably forget by the time I make it home tonight.

As a flyer applying to colleges and planning for tryouts, you need to MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

Ex: I know everyone likes to be all "I'm totally going to cheer at UofL this year!" or "Totally going to cheer at Bama!" and "Can't wait to be a UK Wildcat!" (only picking on those programs because they come up all the time when you talk to kids about where they want to cheer) but keep it real with yourself.

You might be good, but depending on where you try out, every other flyer in the room has been to Worlds, and several of them are probably Worlds medalists or NCA champs. You're not the big fish in the small pond. You're the medium fish in the ocean next to 5 sharks and a whale.

By all means, apply to and try out at your Dream Cheer School, but don't let that be the ONLY school you where you apply/tryout.

Everyone's not going to be a) UofL flyer. They just aren't. But if you cast a wider net, you MIGHT have a shot at cheering or flying somewhere else.

Ex: Those Big Deal teams are great, but round out your list and check out some of those top 20 programs in other divisions (ex: There are some teams in the top 20 of the small coed division that don't bring home a jacket but are up and coming.)

No one wants to be that girl who wanted to be a _____________ cheerleader but got cut and has not applied to or tried out at any other school and feels SOL.

Is it possible to time your acceptances to a college based on whether or not you make the cheer team? Like can the timing work out where you try out for 5 cheer squads at 5 different colleges that you've been accepted to academically, and then only enroll in the one where you actually make the squad? I'd almost think the admissions acceptance would be due far in advance of the results of who made the cheer squad? No?

Back