My Daughter Wants To Fly. Suggestions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughters ship has sailed for cheering in college but good thing she is only in 4th grade now!

She wants to base so badly but I don't see that happening for a few more years and when that finally does happen I don't think someone who has never based anything other than tiny 1 will be able to jump in basing level 4/5 stunts. I think she could potentially base a very small flyer on maybe a youth 2 team at this point. She thinks/hopes and is dying to make our restricted 5 next year not basing or flying. I told her I could see level 4 but don't see them letting her skip levels since she is on 3 right now. She said well I'm not basing or flying level 3, 4, or 5 no matter what team they put me on so I can make the team. I said ok whatever floats your boat...lol

My daughters ship has sailed for cheering in college but good thing she is only in 4th grade now!

She wants to base so badly but I don't see that happening for a few more years and when that finally does happen I don't think someone who has never based anything other than tiny 1 will be able to jump in basing level 4/5 stunts. I think she could potentially base a very small flyer on maybe a youth 2 team at this point. She thinks/hopes and is dying to make our restricted 5 next year not basing or flying. I told her I could see level 4 but don't see them letting her skip levels since she is on 3 right now. She said well I'm not basing or flying level 3, 4, or 5 no matter what team they put me on so I can make the team. I said ok whatever floats your boat...lol
Don't underestimate her! Where there's a will there's a way. I've seen very small athletes become really good bases simply because they WANT to be. We've seen that when Jaiden (did I spell that right?) puts her mind to something she achieves it. :)

My oldest CP went from always flying (no basing experience) to basing on a level 4 team. If you have a patient Coach willing to teach a hard working kid, it can definitely happen. I think their previous flying experience is helpful and makes learning to base easier.

Well if she isn't going to base or fly...what exactly will she do??? She is obviously strong based on her tumbling. She will learn to base. We had a great tumbler join our Jr 4 team last year...she had never done cheer at all. She wasn't big at all...probably about the height of all of our flyers on that team. But she learned quickly, she was willing to come to stunt class to learn to base...and this year she is basing on our Senior 5 team. I think your kiddo will be great at whatever she is asked to do!

Well if she isn't going to base or fly...what exactly will she do??? She is obviously strong based on her tumbling. She will learn to base. We had a great tumbler join our Jr 4 team last year...she had never done cheer at all. She wasn't big at all...probably about the height of all of our flyers on that team. But she learned quickly, she was willing to come to stunt class to learn to base...and this year she is basing on our Senior 5 team. I think your kiddo will be great at whatever she is asked to do!
Thanks everyone,

And whether she made s4 or s5 she would be too small to base. She is smaller than every single flyer on both of those teams, not only that but there would be no one else close to her size to base with her. She wants to base I just think it's not in the cards for her yet.
She can't fly and she isn't flying in the elite stunts at all this year (she is flying a prep in the pyramid holding and turning girls) even on j3 this year there is no one she could base. She stands behind the stunts. I know she will eventually be big enough but she wants to be big enough now. One day! Lol

Thanks everyone,

And whether she made s4 or s5 she would be too small to base. She is smaller than every single flyer on both of those teams, not only that but there would be no one else close to her size to base with her. She wants to base I just think it's not in the cards for her yet.
She can't fly and she isn't flying in the elite stunts at all this year (she is flying a prep in the pyramid holding and turning girls) even on j3 this year there is no one she could base. She stands behind the stunts. I know she will eventually be big enough but she wants to be big enough now. One day! Lol

I'm curious, what's the issue w/ her flying - is she affraid? Sounds like a waste of talent for a tiny girl w/ level 4/5 tumbling skills to stand in the back of stunts or not even be on a 4/5 team. Might be a legitimate case for you to search out a gym w/ a youth 4/5 team.

I'm curious, what's the issue w/ her flying - is she affraid? Sounds like a waste of talent for a tiny girl w/ level 4/5 tumbling skills to stand in the back of stunts or not even be on a 4/5 team. Might be a legitimate case for you to search out a gym w/ a youth 4/5 team.
She is scared to death of extended one leg stunts. She is not confident .. She actually flew on j3 since April and all summer until showoff in October! She flew show off and fell actually she didn't fall she bobbled in both the elite stunt and two man so they replaced her the next practice. That practice Jaylen came running out afterwards saying mommy mommy guess what .. I'm not in baskets or stunt any more im so happy! She said it took so much stress off her brain. Lol

The thing is she would fly if they needed or wanted her to but there was an extra flyer so it was just easier to swap them!

She flew 3 years on level 2, the first year the whole team at old gym was on the struggle bus but the last 2 years at new gym she flew and executed very difficult stunts. In 30 performances the last 2 years at competitions she only had one stunt come down. (Not last season but early on the season before; last season our whole team didn't have one stunt fall or stunt bobble)

So they don't take falling lightly so she will be on the ground. She actually didn't make level 3 last season solely because she couldn't fly. They knew she could fly level 2 so kept her there another year, which saddened her but at least she contributed to the team and it ended up being the best season ever and we were so thankful they kept her back.

They just really don't want to hold her back anymore which is why they let her move up to 3 and gave her a chance this year but they had a back up plan so to speak and since she couldn't do it they had to do what's best for the team!

Jaylen was in every stretch class and her group came in before every single practice since choreography because they really wanted to get better and a coach always made himself available anytime for that stunt group. She just couldn't do it. The coach said he just wants her to be the confident flyer Jaylen from last year and that's not her! We talked about it and she tried but she said when she was flying that she wanted to be in the air but the day they took her out the truth came out.... Ehh lol I think I have a video of part of the level 3 stunt.. They since changed the beginning half so I can atleast post that. I'll show yall what the problem is.

Here is when she was level 2 (two different videos but only part of the stunt)

And level 3 ..part of the old sequence, the beginning part is actually illegal which is why it was changed partially because it's like a level 4/5 something idk lol

But you can see the difference, and confidence just by how she hits stuff

And you here the girl in the background say that was really goood... That's because it normally was way worse for her. I just don't have the ugly videos of it anymore

Last edited:
She is scared to death of extended one leg stunts. She is not confident .. She actually flew on j3 since April and all summer until showoff in October! She flew show off and fell actually she didn't fall she bobbled in both the elite stunt and two man so they replaced her the next practice. That practice Jaylen came running out afterwards saying mommy mommy guess what .. I'm not in baskets or stunt any more im so happy! She said it took so much stress off her brain. Lol

The thing is she would fly if they needed or wanted her to but there was an extra flyer so it was just easier to swap them!

She flew 3 years on level 2, the first year the whole team at old gym was on the struggle bus but the last 2 years at new gym she flew and executed very difficult stunts. In 30 performances the last 2 years at competitions she only had one stunt come down. (Not last season but early on the season before; last season our whole team didn't have one stunt fall or stunt bobble)

So they don't take falling lightly so she will be on the ground. She actually didn't make level 3 last season solely because she couldn't fly. They knew she could fly level 2 so kept her there another year, which saddened her but at least she contributed to the team and it ended up being the best season ever and we were so thankful they kept her back.

They just really don't want to hold her back anymore which is why they let her move up to 3 and gave her a chance this year but they had a back up plan so to speak and since she couldn't do it they had to do what's best for the team!

Jaylen was in every stretch class and her group came in before every single practice since choreography because they really wanted to get better and a coach always made himself available anytime for that stunt group. She just couldn't do it. The coach said he just wants her to be the confident flyer Jaylen from last year and that's not her! We talked about it and she tried but she said when she was flying that she wanted to be in the air but the day they took her out the truth came out.... Ehh lol I think I have a video of part of the level 3 stunt.. They since changed the beginning half so I can atleast post that. I'll show yall what the problem is.

Hey, it's not for everybody. Trust me.

Flyer pressure is REAL.

Yes, there are people UNDER the stunt, but you ALWAYS feel like the fall is your fault.

Yes, you're just one part of a group, but if a stunt falls, you're the FIRST thing that people's eyes go toward because they CAN'T look away from you.

If you're not the strongest flyer or you're struggling with a particular stunt, you wonder "Am I going to get pulled?" or "Are they going to water down my stunt so I'm fulling down instead of doubling like everyone else?"

It's hard sometimes. There were days I WISHED I could base permanently (when nothing's hitting, it appears to be your fault, etc.) I was in the "never really big enough to base" camp and when I did attempt to base, it was something SUPER simple like a prep because I was almost a foot shorter than everyone else and no one wanted to double up with me underneath. No one wanted that kind of drama in their lives.

So yeah, it's rough. It's not all fierce center prep choreography!

Here is when she was level 2 (two different videos but only part of the stunt)

And level 3 ..part of the old sequence, the beginning part is actually illegal which is why it was changed partially because it's like a level 4/5 something idk lol

But you can see the difference, and confidence just by how she hits stuff

And you here the girl in the background say that was really goood... That's because it normally was way worse for her. I just don't have the ugly videos of it anymore

I coach levels 2 & 3. The jump from Level 2 to Level 3 is underestimated at times. It is one of the ROUGHEST transitions in terms of flying.

And more YES for this thread.

Generally speaking, high school kids can and DO attend them.

Do it. Preferably at multiple schools.

It really helps to see where you are not only in relation to the program, but in relation to the POOL of candidates.

Most of the kids who come to the clinics in fall will be the ones next to you at spring pre-tryout clinics and the actual tryout.

It's better to know NOW that most of the kids coming into _______ have specialty passes through to full, instead of showing up to spring clinics, realizing that, and freaking out.
using your post as more of a jumping point, but I have been told that certain big name colleges have quite a bit of politics tied to cheerleader selection. I have no idea if it is true or not - we are just getting our feet wet with this process. Since I can't afford to fly CP all over the country to attend clinics she is attending the clinic for her first choice school. She applied early acceptance so she will know whether she is accepted before she attends the clinic (and if she doesn't get accepted she has already been accepted to her second choice and will attend that clinic). I am hoping she will have a good idea afterwards as to whether she will make their team or not. She has no option to base but is open to either the coed or all-girl team.

^^^^There can be. I feel like whenever there are people involved with ANYTHING, it has the danger to be political.

It is in the sense that (example) XYZ University coaches at times all went to ABC gym. So they interact with ABC athletes often. ABC kids come to games, get the scoop on clinics, make friends with ABC alumni/ae who cheer, so they are more likely to be "in the know" with what XYZ University is looking for in athletes.

Suzie from Across the Country doesn't have the advantage of being "homegrown" like some of the In-Staters from "feeder" gyms are and being in tune with what XYZ is looking at at tryouts.

This is not to say you shouldn't try out (hey, there are kids from out of the country cheering at UK now), but depending on the program, there is that "feeder gym" dynamic that might give certain kids a leg up (by nature of having attended clinics at XYZ since you were junior aged.) Does that make sense?

I currently have a 10 year old in her first year doing all star cheer. She has a dream of wanting to fly and is pretty flexible. We have been taking flyer classes and she seems to be doing alright. She has no fear of being in the air and is holding decently considering she has only went to 4 or 5 classes. My question is her size. She wanted to fly for her team this year and basically was told she is too big and is "built like a base"....My daughter is by no means fat but she is very muscular because of her constant tumbling and being so active. Most of the girls they have flying are very skinny but have problems staying in the air ex. constant falling and lack of flexibility. She is currently 4"6 and weights 73 lbs. So does this seem like a deal breaker? Even if she is perfectly tight in the air and flexible would her size prevent her from being chosen? She is under the impression if she keeps working at it and gets it perfect they will let her fly :( I just don't want her to be crushed. She is already asking me if she is too fat. I hate that she feels this way especially since she is no where near fat, shes perfect. Either way I don't think she will fly for her current gym due to their belief size is most important. Any thoughts?
I used to have the same problem, of wanting to fly but not being able to. I finally became a flyer last year. (2013-2014 season). I took (and still do take) private lessons with my coach. They are like tumbling privates, but he stretches me, and we work on stunts, instead of tumbling. I feel like going in the extra time showed my coaches how dedicated I am and how badly I wanted it. Communication is also really important. I don't know if she talked to her coaches yet, about flying in general, or the 'too big' comment, but I've learned that if I talk to my coaches, something can usually be worked out. Talking to my coaches has also helped me build relationships with them that I will cherish for the rest of my life, inside and outside of the gym. Tell your daughter to stay positive!! Everything happens for a reason, and in time things will work out for the best, whether she becomes a flyer or not!! Good Luck!!

I didn't mean to make it sound like my daughter is only concentrating on the flying aspect of cheer. Her first focus when she got in this was her tumbling which I think is her strongest area. After she got really good at that she moved on to working her jumps and is currently the point position in her teams jump formation. She is often been told her dancing is very sharp. I have had several parents and even kids on the older teams that comment on how good she is. So she isn't just focusing on flying and at this point seems pretty well rounded which I know is important. My kid is the kind that would be in the gym everyday if she could. She wants to excel at every element of this and thinks if she keeps working on it she can excel at flying as well if given the chance. I an very proud of her and supportive. It is just hard when she comes to me upset and doesn't understand why she isn't given a chance when she sees the current flyers struggling. Like I said before she is not the biggest on her team AT ALL and I think just by looking there is probably only 3 maybe 4 girls (3 of which are the flyers that are smaller than her) and they are only smaller in weight not height. She is a very observant child and is able to notice the weight difference between her and the current flyers. She has brought this up to me (without me saying anything at all) and I usually try to avoid the size subject because I don't want her to get a complex. But when she tried out for flyer tryouts and it was basically said she was "built like a base" and other size comments it got to her a bit. She also comes to me and says how the girls that are flying don't want to fly and are scared and says to me "I am not scared mommy." I hurt for her. It doesn't matter to me what she does because I think she is amazing but it matters to HER. And I do emphasize that every position is important and that if she is going to be a base she should strive for being the best base she can. I do believe she does the best she can and has been told she is good at it. But lets be honest whether a kid does the best for the team at the position they are given you cant expect them not to have a preference or desire for something else. My daughter doesn't like to base at all. She has a lot of muscle strength in her legs but not so much in her arms. She is always saying it hurts her shoulders really bad. I know there are accidents and injuries are bound to happen but when its every stunt every practice she has girls falling on her constantly because they cant stay in the air and she is doing her best to hold them up it makes her more nervous. I think after the thing with her neck it has really gotten to her. And its not just a concern for my daughter I would think it would be a concern for the flyers as well. One of them came straight out of the air and landed on her back. My daughter doesn't complain to the coaches or anyone but she came home to me after the neck thing and was in tears and in pain for almost 2 weeks. That is why I came on here to ask others because I don't want to ask the coaches or look like I am starting drama so I just leave it alone. Although I don't think I am the only parent up there that has this concern.... Either way you cant really tell a child not to strive for something they want that bad. I do tell her there are no guarantees and I flat out asked her if she still wanted to cheer if she never flew and she said yes but seemed sad about it the thought of never flying. And Sherry I am so sorry your daughter felt that way. At this age no child should feel anything less than beautiful.

My girls are bases on a youth team they have been since they are minis they are very flexible. It is their job in their minds to make sure their flyer feels confident and is not scared. They talk with their flyers and build a relationship and make sure their flyer knows they will not let her touch the ground. So if your girl comes to you saying her flyer is scared ask her what she is doing as a member of that group to make her flyer feel safer. It sounds like she is working a lot on her flexibility at home and that is awesome I would suggest you encourage her to work on her upper arm strength as well to reduce the pain she is feeling. You are right you can't tell her to strive to be a flyer but you can encourage her to prove that she is a top cheerleader by taking the cards she is dealt and being the best at what she has been given - count it as a skill in her pocket as she moves up in levels. She may be a flyer next year and knowing what it is like to be the base will only help her in the long run if she does get to become a flyer.

Back