My Daughter Wants To Fly. Suggestions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is it possible to time your acceptances to a college based on whether or not you make the cheer team? Like can the timing work out where you try out for 5 cheer squads at 5 different colleges that you've been accepted to academically, and then only enroll in the one where you actually make the squad? I'd almost think the admissions acceptance would be due far in advance of the results of who made the cheer squad? No?
Most schools have spring tryouts, so you MAY be able to get away with it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend risking it.

@oncecoolcoachnowmom You make a really interesting point that I'd like to jump off of. I understand kids overestimating their skills and being dead set on cheering at one program. However, nothing makes me angrier than coaches who encourage kids that have NO SHOT at making that program. I know there's a delicate balance between telling a kid they're hopeless and coaching confident athletes, but I get so angry when coaches continue to feed false hopes. You can't tell me you think Susie is going to cheer at UK at 130 lbs, or Sally, who can only fly straight up stunts and toss libs, is going to fly at UofL. C'mon people!

Is it possible to time your acceptances to a college based on whether or not you make the cheer team? Like can the timing work out where you try out for 5 cheer squads at 5 different colleges that you've been accepted to academically, and then only enroll in the one where you actually make the squad? I'd almost think the admissions acceptance would be due far in advance of the results of who made the cheer squad? No?
Yes, it's just like with scholarships. You are accepted to 10 schools, and apply for scholarships at all of them. You may not know until April what you are getting where, and you decide which offer to accept. Same goes for sports, cheer, and dance.

^^^^^^This is difficult as in most cases, you've already applied to and been accepted wherever you're trying out (you start hearing back from schools as early as December-February and tryouts are in spring.)

The issue comes in when you ONLY applied to Dream Cheer School and didn't make it, and have no other options as far as schooling because you only applied to one place.

@oncecoolcoachnowmom You make a really interesting point that I'd like to jump off of. I understand kids overestimating their skills and being dead set on cheering at one program. However, nothing makes me angrier than coaches who encourage kids that have NO SHOT at making that program. I know there's a delicate balance between telling a kid they're hopeless and coaching confident athletes, but I get so angry when coaches continue to feed false hopes. You can't tell me you think Susie is going to cheer at UK at 130 lbs, or Sally, who can only fly straight up stunts and toss libs, is going to fly at UofL. C'mon people!

I was visiting the gym where one of our neighbor girls cheer and listening to a mom in the parent area talking about how her daughter was will be attending a perennial top 10 NCA finisher large coed program for college (I think it was OK State.) Assistant coach was totally agreeing with her.

Kid walks into open gym and I am expecting some serious awesome.

She has a layout and a walk-in lib. And the lib was really only with the super experienced coach who could totally hold her because you could tell she couldn't hold her weight.

Sidenote: With college, it's important to note that you will be stunting with guys who have varying levels of experience. They are not Coach Bobby Who Can Throw You Super Easily And Hold Your Weight Even When You Are A Hot Mess.

You might be great with your home coaches who are not in your age range, significantly stronger, and have been stunting with you since you were 1o. You need to be so good that you're good with just about anyone.

Last edited:
Yes, it's just like with scholarships. You are accepted to 10 schools, and apply for scholarships at all of them. You may not know until April what you are getting where, and you decide which offer to accept. Same goes for sports, cheer, and dance.

I just always thought that since cheerleading and dance teams aren't recognized as NCAA "sports", with scholarships, etc., that the schools just wouldn't bother to time their tryouts, or wait around for acceptances for/from people who's decision is hinging on whether or not they make the cheerleading team. It seems like all the big name sports recruits around me have already announced where they are going. It may also matter how academically competitive the particular college or major is too - like they may force certain majors to give a decision earlier.

I was visiting the gym where one of our neighbor girls cheer and listening to a mom in the parent area talking about how her daughter was will be attending a perennial top 10 NCA finisher large coed program for college (I think it was OK State.) Assistant coach was totally agreeing with her.

Kid walks into open gym and I am expecting some serious awesome.

She has a layout and a walk-in lib. And the lib was really only with the super experienced coach who could totally hold her because you could tell she couldn't hold her weight.

Sidenote: With college, it's important to note that you will be stunting with guys who have varying levels of experience. They are not Coach Bobby Who Can Throw You Super Easily And Hold Your Weight Even When You Are A Hot Mess.

You might be great with your home coaches who are not in your age range, significantly stronger, and have been stunting with you since you were 1o. You need to be so good that you're good with just about anyone.
I truly think there are some very sheltered, uneducated coaches out there. I suppose if you didn't cheer competitively in college, you wouldn't know where the bar was set. It's awful to see kids get so pumped up by the people they trust though.

Incredible tumbler and main base tells me she wants to cheer for UK. Flew several years ago before puberty. Coach basing her in toss hands press lib agrees..."She should totally try out! She's an incredible tumbler!" I kindly suggest OSU small coed or all girl as an alternate option. Ignorant coach, her specialty through to double isn't going to do squat for her at UK tryouts.

I have also heard some girls have trouble throwing their high level skills on dead mat.

YEP.

I say this all the time but kids NEEEEEEEEEED to get in the gym on dead floor and get the experience beforehand.

It's not THAT big of an adjustment and only really takes a few days of gym time on the dead mat to get used to it, but you NEVER want your FIRST time encountering dead mat/floor to be when you go to clinics before a tryout.

I also would not recommend having your FIRST dead mat pass EVER be your most difficult. Even if you throw doubles regularly on springs, I tell everyone to start out with handsprings and tucks and work up. Seriously.

YEP.

I say this all the time but kids NEEEEEEEEEED to get in the gym on dead floor and get the experience beforehand.

It's not THAT big of an adjustment and only really takes a few days of gym time on the dead mat to get used to it, but you NEVER want your FIRST time encountering dead mat/floor to be when you go to clinics before a tryout.

I also would not recommend having your FIRST dead mat pass EVER be your most difficult. Even if you throw doubles regularly on springs, I tell everyone to start out with handsprings and tucks and work up. Seriously.
A cheer friend of ours rented space work a dead floor just so she could get used to it. Also did coed privates with a guy so she could get the feel for it.

**if a safety judge falls at a competition do all the teams get a bonus point**

Most schools have spring tryouts, so you MAY be able to get away with it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend risking it.

This stuff happens in dance a lot too - you don't know how many little girls (and paying moms) are being fed the "you can be a professional dancer dream" at rinky dink studios everywhere. Usually they realize the truth by late high school though.

If you really want to get an idea of where your cp is in relation to college cheer attend a few clinics. CP attended one at the university of Maryland and day one set the tone when kids were split by who had a double full and who didn't.

If you really want to get an idea of where your cp is in relation to college cheer attend a few clinics. CP attended one at the university of Maryland and day one set the tone when kids were split by who had a double full and who didn't.

That awkward moment when you can't even compete a double full in college. Was this during the UMD A&T days or after?

And more YES for this thread.

Generally speaking, high school kids can and DO attend them.

Do it. Preferably at multiple schools.

It really helps to see where you are not only in relation to the program, but in relation to the POOL of candidates.

Most of the kids who come to the clinics in fall will be the ones next to you at spring pre-tryout clinics and the actual tryout.

It's better to know NOW that most of the kids coming into _______ have specialty passes through to full, instead of showing up to spring clinics, realizing that, and freaking out.

A cheer friend of ours rented space work a dead floor just so she could get used to it. Also did coed privates with a guy so she could get the feel for it.

Now THAT would be an eye opener - haha...

That awkward moment when you can't even compete a double full in college. Was this during the UMD A&T days or after?
I don't know the answer to that. This was 5 maybe 6 years ago.

Back