All-Star Nail Bed Inury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have not, but my husband was recently injured and he has lost his nail. Because of the extensive damage done to the nail bed itself, the doctor doesn't predict that it will ever grow back. Have you seen a doctor?

One of my kids had a whole nail ripped off and it grew back perfectly. Can't remember how long it took though.

Thanks so much! How long did she have to sit out?

I wonder how long it usually takes to grow back?

I have not, but my husband was recently injured and he has lost his nail. Because of the extensive damage done to the nail bed itself, the doctor doesn't predict that it will ever grow back. Have you seen a doctor?

We're going today.

I think it took a few months to grow back but she was ok to do stuff pretty soon after, just had to be a bit careful I guess as the finger is not protected by a nail. My kids are young and were not doing cheer at the time.

For what it's worth, my husband is a mechanic and has returned back to work without having to change anything he does because of his nail. The injury to the actual bone and joints caused him to be out for a few days, but the concern wasn't over the nail itself.

My CP tore the artery that feeds the nail bed at cheer (she couldn't tell me how???) when she was 8 or 9. We had to tap the nail multiple times to drain it, and were sure she would lose it. She never did. She didn't have to sit out at all and the docs said she wouldn't even if she lost the nail. They just told us to keep the open wound covered at practice. I took about a month to 6 weeks for the damaged portion to grow out.

I would be worried having a kid work around an injury like that. How do you/your coaches do it?

It was just blood under her nail, not a huge deal at all. We kept draining it for a couple days until the bleeding stopped and it was fine. As for actually losing a nail, you have to wrap it well and be careful. We had s girl do it once and she wore a cup splint over it wrapped with foam tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 3 months to grow back to usable but can use after about 45 days with tape/bandage. Nail bruised/split in half and fell off. Lots of swelling snd bruising

Last edited:
She went to the doctor. They pressure wrapped it and said she can return to normal practice in about a week just making sure to be careful. She has to keep the finger covered and protected. He said it'll take anywhere from 3-6 months for the nail to grow completely back.

They can take up to a year to grow out properly. If there is enough damage, the nail may never grow back properly/may stay damaged as it grows back into its 'new' (damaged) normal. One of mine fell off, but not till it was about 3/4 grown back. I bandage helped for the next few days and then it was fine.

The above info was from my Dr. earlier this week

Back