All-Star National Champs Against No One...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Theoretically, in the non worlds division they could still throw doubles/combos/standing fulls/etc. vs. restricted they would have to change tumbling passes. Some gyms aren't worlds bound because of the costs involved just to get there and then end up not going to finals etc. so perhaps they just are building their level 5 program this year. Just throwing in some possibilities.

I know this thread is about competing against no one and being a national champion, but what if there was only one other team in their division that was podunk allstars level 5 and only one kid throwing a full? Would that be winning a national championship either truly? It happens a lot, especially at smaller nationals. Throwing out some more for discussion.

They went to a National Championship as a Senior Coed 5 - Non Worlds. You would think they would go Senior Coed Restricted 5. Guess they just wanted the jackets. Oh well!! I do get that the kids are happy and they tried their best. It just seems silly to me and a waste of money.

surely someone would bash them for dropping down a level just to win then..... :)

Plus it's not fair to the kids who have to actually earn the title, some large competitions have 7 or more teams competing against each other, especially in the lower divisions. What are we teachiing the kids by having them just show up and being handed a first place title?

surely someone would bash them for dropping down a level just to win then..... :)
it has definitely been a topic of discussion in our town as many of the girls go to school together. I thought it was weird when a mom thought they went against 7 teams. Were you not paying attention at awards!?!?

I think it's a bit disingenuous if a team boasts on Facebook or Twitter that they got first place without mentioning that they were the only ones in their division. That happened just recently, and when the scores were posted that team was actually in last place for their level.

I get going out there, when unfortunately there is no competition (Umm, hello large senior except for maybe 3 competitions!!), and being proud of hitting your routine or working through new changes with minimal problems. It's unfortunately a current reality, and hopefully one that will change if enough gym owners can get behind it..(limiting amount of competitions, restrictions on 'national champion')

That being said, I also find it disingenuous to boast about your 'National Championship Win'...against nobody. I can understand being happy about your 'first' place, especially if, like above, it was a new routine, you're in a not-very-populated division, etc. Double especially if you hit a solid routine. But if you're going to be bragging about how your the best thing since sliced bread, except oh wait, you were alone in your division, you dropped half your stunts, the ones that stayed up were wobbly as a wet noodle, and your tumbling was below level and janky...yeah. I find that very much not okay.

How is this a mean spirited thead? Everyone wants cheerleading to be a sport, right? All sports have competitors. I love cheerleaders and cheerleading!

this is my friends gym you're talking about, you don't know the circumstances so don't bash.
Actually I do know the circumstances. I'm not sure we're talking about the same gym but if it is. Sorry but its the truth.

It's a viable topic when it is not so specific to the gym. We have a ton of meaningless jackets from the drought years of youth 4 and 5. We have a few cherished jackets from when the win really meant something. Did I brag when we had no competition ... Yes when we won grand champ, but otherwise no. It was nothing more than a glorified practice but since the event producer wasn't giving back our money, we gladly took the jacket.

Back