All-Star Nca 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yikes. That seems awful!

Like someone else has stated, we're due for a wetter and colder winter in mid-late February. We really don't have a great "snow" system, like plows, because it ices.....not snow! We have sand trucks, which I think is so strange that everywhere else uses salt lol :p
Was worth it in the end.

Flight from Philly to Dallas was cancelled so I grabbed one to Houston which was closest I could get arriving around midnight then rented a car. Arrived at the hotel just in time to take cheer son, already there, to the completion. Think I was up for 36 hrs before I took a nap Saturday afternoon. I think @mstealtoyou is the only person I spoke to that slept less than me that weekend

Gotta say it was going to take a heck of a lot more to keep me from seeing him take the floor that day. Besides Worlds that was the only competition I was able to attend last season.

**Sometimes I day dream Cheer Son is almost as good as Susie and then reality sets in**

I've told this story on here before... but two years ago when the weather iced everything up, I had to call my cousin whom I was meeting for dinner as I was leaving the convention center so she could tell me how to de-ice my windshield. I had never driven in those conditions before!!! :eek:

That's too funny but, I can imagine not so funny at the time. Cp loves telling about the time we sat in the rental car garage for 45 minutes while I try to start a car that had a push button start. The first 15 minutes were us looking for the key (on the little shelf by the steering column), then me trying to stab the strange non-cut key into a non-existent key hole in the steering column. Cp noticed the "start" button, which I pressed and it flashed "brake". I looked to make sure the emergency brake wasn't on and spend the next 15 minutes telling the car, "THE @&%# BRAKE ISN'T ON!" Cp, meanwhile calls DH at work and says, "mom can't work the push button car". In which he replies, "Did she press the button?" ......Well you see, I came from the dark ages before fuel injectors and you had to give the car a little bit of gas before starting. When fuel injectors came about I was told you no longer have to press the accelerator prior to starting.....Evidently, after the dark ages, you were taught you must apply the brake before starting the car. DH and I argued for the next 15 minutes as to what my foot does when I start our cars, and me screaming back, "IT JUST SITS THERE AND DOES NOTHING!" :rolleyes: As cp says, "old people probz."

If you do take a taxi put your navigation on to make sure the driver isn't taking you on the scenic route... Happened to me a few years ago and after we went round about the resturant for the 5th time I demanded he stop and let me out.. I also refused to pay him lol. You can take the girl out of NY but you can't take the NY outa the girl lol

That's too funny but, I can imagine not so funny at the time. Cp loves telling about the time we sat in the rental car garage for 45 minutes while I try to start a car that had a push button start. The first 15 minutes were us looking for the key (on the little shelf by the steering column), then me trying to stab the strange non-cut key into a non-existent key hole in the steering column. Cp noticed the "start" button, which I pressed and it flashed "brake". I looked to make sure the emergency brake wasn't on and spend the next 15 minutes telling the car, "THE @&%# BRAKE ISN'T ON!" Cp, meanwhile calls DH at work and says, "mom can't work the push button car". In which he replies, "Did she press the button?" ......Well you see, I came from the dark ages before fuel injectors and you had to give the car a little bit of gas before starting. When fuel injectors came about I was told you no longer have to press the accelerator prior to starting.....Evidently, after the dark ages, you were taught you must apply the brake before starting the car. DH and I argued for the next 15 minutes as to what my foot does when I start our cars, and me screaming back, "IT JUST SITS THERE AND DOES NOTHING!" :rolleyes: As cp says, "old people probz."

The newfangled technology in cars now is crazy. My dads car is a push to start car where you have to push the brake. Pushing to turn it on is one thing but remembering to push it to turn it off is another. It's so easy to forget to turn it off - especially since his car is so quiet you don't realize the car is still running. He still doesn't know how many times my mom and I have forgotten to turn his car all the way off after parking it... :oops:

Cars have so xtras now, my brothers has AC seats, you can't back up with my moms door open it will stop very suddenly. My aunts practically stops running when u stop at a light/stop sign. Too much stuff.

The newfangled technology in cars now is crazy. My dads car is a push to start car where you have to push the brake. Pushing to turn it on is one thing but remembering to push it to turn it off is another. It's so easy to forget to turn it off - especially since his car is so quiet you don't realize the car is still running. He still doesn't know how many times my mom and I have forgotten to turn his car all the way off after parking it... :oops:

LOL this reminds me of the time my mom left her car in front of her garage right before she left on a trip outside the country.... She lives in Miami and obviously I'm in Jersey... Should have seen my face when I get a phone call from the police department in front of her house asking if I've heard from my parents!!!! When I ask why (mind you it was 7pm) they say well the car registered to your mothers name is parked in front of the house since this morning and a neighbor noticed but didn't think anything of it and thought your mother was inside the house.... the car is still on and apparently no one is in the house.... I start cracking up because I had spoken to my mom at 4-5pm to make sure their trip was fine and they arrived safely and tell the police office sorry for laughing but my parents left the country at 8am this morning.... the cops searched the car and the keys were under the seat(push start engine), apparently she ran an early errand then they left in my dads car and didn't even notice that her car was still running.... LMAO

The best part was that the cop says do u want me to drop the keys off to you and I'm like well if you're planning on driving to Jersey anytime soon lol... Thankfully my cousin lives a few blocks away and I gave him the address... turns out he went to HS with my cousin... What a small world!!! lol

My parents are the best but between this happening and my father burning the kitchen down a few months (and then twice more a couple years later) I'm always telling my brother why don't we have our own reality show honestly???

LOL this reminds me of the time my mom left her car in front of her garage right before she left on a trip outside the country.... She lives in Miami and obviously I'm in Jersey... Should have seen my face when I get a phone call from the police department in front of her house asking if I've heard from my parents!!!! When I ask why (mind you it was 7pm) they say well the car registered to your mothers name is parked in front of the house since this morning and a neighbor noticed but didn't think anything of it and thought your mother was inside the house.... the car is still on and apparently no one is in the house.... I start cracking up because I had spoken to my mom at 4-5pm to make sure their trip was fine and they arrived safely and tell the police office sorry for laughing but my parents left the country at 8am this morning.... the cops searched the car and the keys were under the seat(push start engine), apparently she ran an early errand then they left in my dads car and didn't even notice that her car was still running.... LMAO

The best part was that the cop says do u want me to drop the keys off to you and I'm like well if you're planning on driving to Jersey anytime soon lol... Thankfully my cousin lives a few blocks away and I gave him the address... turns out he went to HS with my cousin... What a small world!!! lol

My parents are the best but between this happening and my father burning the kitchen down a few months (and then twice more a couple years later) I'm always telling my brother why don't we have our own reality show honestly???
Ok, now I want to hear your story about your dad burning the kitchen down! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, now I want to hear your story about your dad burning the kitchen down! [emoji23]

All three times were the same reason...

He gets hungry, decides i'm going to fry something up (2 times it was fried plantains or we call them maduros and one time it was to make a fired egg - actually the 1st time was the egg) lol

so quick versions

1st time - tells my nephew who is there visiting are u hungry - he says yes - my dad says me too i'll cook some fried eggs - turns the stove on with the frying pan and the oil.... my mom is in her room and my nephew is in the family room which is attached to the kitchen but he's laying down on the couch playing his PSP.... my father says let me check something real quick in the computer room/ guest room which down the hall on the opposite side of the house (picture this kitchen is the back of the house and guest room is the front of the house by the garage) of course grandpa forgets about the oil and the frying, and my nephew doesn't notice the smoke.... pan lights up as my mom is leaving her room and sees the smoke, starts cursing off my father who is now running from the computer room towards the kitchen and the ceiling ends up burned stove top burned but still working lol and my mom is mad at my dad for 6 months lol (me and brother of course tease him lovingly for 6 months just to ease the pain of my moms anger lol)

2nd time - he decides to cook some bananas, same thing (this time he's by himself) apparently he again leaves because he became distracted by his phone (yes we all apparently suffer from ADHD) and same scenario... ceiling is now blacker and stove top looks more melted....

Final time - AND FOR ME THE BEST ONE OF ALL - he's by himself - my mom is on a flight back to florida - he gets hungry turns stove on to make bananas yet again - THEN HE CALLS ME FOR A CHAT!!!! lol - I kid you not!!! he's on the phone with me for over 30 mins!!! he left the kitchen with the stove on and the oil and the frying pan... when suddenly I hear him in Spanish scream OH poop and he drops the phone - at this point I have no idea whats happening, I hear commotion, him screaming oh poop mostly , I hear the alarm going off... he runs back to the phone tells me he has to go the kitchen is on fire (i'm lauging as I type this)... I say call the fire department (which thankfully the house alarms does it automatically) he hangs up on me and all I can think is my mom is going to kill him... he calls me back about 1 1/2 hours later, he managed to run through the kitchen with the hose from the yard which is next to the kitchen and shut the fire off... the house is completely filled with smoke, he coughing and i'm telling him to stand outside... I tell him let the firefighters do their job... I call my cousin a few blocks away and tell her please go check on my dad and check on the damage so I can ease the news to my mom (who he was already late picking up so he had called his assistant to go pick her up).... I call my mom 30 mins later... "So mom how was your trip... great... good flight then huh... so where are u now exactly? no like how far from the house.... oh ok.... so Angel picked u up? ok cool, yea the kids miss you already... yea so listen... when u get to the house just giving u a heads up, ummm don't kill dad, he loves u, he didn't mean it but yea he burned the kitchen down.... no not like the last time... yea the kitchen is pretty much useless...." she starts laughing because Angel had given her a short version to ease the pain as well lol and she thought it was hilarious that I was more concerned over my dad living then her beautiful kitchen...

I can't.... my parents are just awesome.... everyday its something but they're awesome and I love them..... lol.... of course me and my brother created a few memes for my dad and even though insurance rebuilt the kitchen and installed brand new vents throughout the house cause soot and smoke had ruined the central air vents.... and I constantly tease my dad that he's not allowed to cook by himself, the final kitchen fire was the highlight of my memory with my parents....

ETA: I just realized my oh SH*t was changed to oh poop!!! i'm dying right now lol

DART is a great option. We live about 30 minutes from downtown and we take the DART train (never have been on a DART bus) to NCA. It's cheap and easy...but familiarize yourself with the different lines and arrival/departure times as they run on schedule and you could easily miss your time if you aren't prepared.
You can get a day pass for a few dollars and there are some other fun places to go along the rail. No need for a car if you don't plan to go outside of Dallas. And you don't have to fight that horrid traffic.
I'm crossing my fingers for nice weather. It's crazy here...the last 2 years we went to Galveston (beach) for a competition in February and the weater was awesome. Then we get to NCA in March and it freezes and the city shuts down.

DART is a great option. We live about 30 minutes from downtown and we take the DART train (never have been on a DART bus) to NCA. It's cheap and easy...but familiarize yourself with the different lines and arrival/departure times as they run on schedule and you could easily miss your time if you aren't prepared.
You can get a day pass for a few dollars and there are some other fun places to go along the rail. No need for a car if you don't plan to go outside of Dallas. And you don't have to fight that horrid traffic.
I'm crossing my fingers for nice weather. It's crazy here...the last 2 years we went to Galveston (beach) for a competition in February and the weater was awesome. Then we get to NCA in March and it freezes and the city shuts down.
We live in the same city!!! Lol sorry random :p

All three times were the same reason...

He gets hungry, decides i'm going to fry something up (2 times it was fried plantains or we call them maduros and one time it was to make a fired egg - actually the 1st time was the egg) lol

so quick versions

1st time - tells my nephew who is there visiting are u hungry - he says yes - my dad says me too i'll cook some fried eggs - turns the stove on with the frying pan and the oil.... my mom is in her room and my nephew is in the family room which is attached to the kitchen but he's laying down on the couch playing his PSP.... my father says let me check something real quick in the computer room/ guest room which down the hall on the opposite side of the house (picture this kitchen is the back of the house and guest room is the front of the house by the garage) of course grandpa forgets about the oil and the frying, and my nephew doesn't notice the smoke.... pan lights up as my mom is leaving her room and sees the smoke, starts cursing off my father who is now running from the computer room towards the kitchen and the ceiling ends up burned stove top burned but still working lol and my mom is mad at my dad for 6 months lol (me and brother of course tease him lovingly for 6 months just to ease the pain of my moms anger lol)

2nd time - he decides to cook some bananas, same thing (this time he's by himself) apparently he again leaves because he became distracted by his phone (yes we all apparently suffer from ADHD) and same scenario... ceiling is now blacker and stove top looks more melted....

Final time - AND FOR ME THE BEST ONE OF ALL - he's by himself - my mom is on a flight back to florida - he gets hungry turns stove on to make bananas yet again - THEN HE CALLS ME FOR A CHAT!!!! lol - I kid you not!!! he's on the phone with me for over 30 mins!!! he left the kitchen with the stove on and the oil and the frying pan... when suddenly I hear him in Spanish scream OH poop and he drops the phone - at this point I have no idea whats happening, I hear commotion, him screaming oh poop mostly , I hear the alarm going off... he runs back to the phone tells me he has to go the kitchen is on fire (i'm lauging as I type this)... I say call the fire department (which thankfully the house alarms does it automatically) he hangs up on me and all I can think is my mom is going to kill him... he calls me back about 1 1/2 hours later, he managed to run through the kitchen with the hose from the yard which is next to the kitchen and shut the fire off... the house is completely filled with smoke, he coughing and i'm telling him to stand outside... I tell him let the firefighters do their job... I call my cousin a few blocks away and tell her please go check on my dad and check on the damage so I can ease the news to my mom (who he was already late picking up so he had called his assistant to go pick her up).... I call my mom 30 mins later... "So mom how was your trip... great... good flight then huh... so where are u now exactly? no like how far from the house.... oh ok.... so Angel picked u up? ok cool, yea the kids miss you already... yea so listen... when u get to the house just giving u a heads up, ummm don't kill dad, he loves u, he didn't mean it but yea he burned the kitchen down.... no not like the last time... yea the kitchen is pretty much useless...." she starts laughing because Angel had given her a short version to ease the pain as well lol and she thought it was hilarious that I was more concerned over my dad living then her beautiful kitchen...

I can't.... my parents are just awesome.... everyday its something but they're awesome and I love them..... lol.... of course me and my brother created a few memes for my dad and even though insurance rebuilt the kitchen and installed brand new vents throughout the house cause soot and smoke had ruined the central air vents.... and I constantly tease my dad that he's not allowed to cook by himself, the final kitchen fire was the highlight of my memory with my parents....

ETA: I just realized my oh SH*t was changed to oh poop!!! i'm dying right now lol
Oh my Gosh, your dad cracks me up! Keep him away from the kitchen unless he is making maduros, yummy!! lol

I took a DART bus once to my classes, well attempted to, and didn't realize I was on the wrong bus until it was too late and I was traveling in the opposite direction of where I needed to be (5 min typical bus ride, took me 45 min lol....) but after that the dart bus and train are great options!

Who wants to buddy-system it up with me NCA weekend?! Lol and will there be a FB section!?
ME! (if i'm not dying in nursing school.)

We used the DART last year too. Totally saved us from renting a car or getting cabs. We even took it to the airport when we left. Our hotel is close to the line again, so we'll use again.

Back