All-Star Nca Day 3 Updates (sunday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This isn't an update, but I feel like it should be here due to the previous discussion of sportsmanship in this thread.
Not only is this extremely precious, but a nice reminder of how sportsmanship can be shown in different ways in our sport.
Edit: I'm sorry for how big the pictures are. :oops:

Ok now I'm crying.
How sweet it that! Love this story!

I don't think Smoed is upset solely because of what people are saying about Lil Smo who took a nasty fall on social, I think they are upset about what people are saying about them and their performance this season in general. I am not justifying that what people are saying on social media is ok nor am I defending what people are saying about Smoed, but just a couple months ago, the same Smos who were making fun of and tweeting hurtful things about a teammate who left are now tweeting that they are hurt by some of the tweets they've seen about their team. And for that, I can't feel bad for those people. (And to clarify, I'm talking about a select few, not the whole team. Especially not Lil'Smo) Call me heartless but I don't. Now you know how it feels and maybe this will prevent you from saying mean things in the future. It doesn't feel too good when you're on the receiving end of the mean spirited tweets, huh? If you want to giveth, you better learn to receiveth. This includes the Cali coaches.

Why should kids be expected to "stay classy" when they're idols can't? Monkey see, monkey do.
Also, a lot of people have been circulating that tumblr post from a Smoed member about how disappointed they were to hear some of the things said about them. I see both sides of the issue. I know it sucked to see the some of the mean spirited comments directed towards their team. Everyone has bad days, even a 3x World Champ team. I agree with the general sentiment of the post and a lot of the points in it.

But I find some of the wording interesting. We all know Angel Rice is a beast of a tumbler/athlete in general. But when you say things like "I’m sorry but if I’m not mistaken, your hardest tumbling pass would not even touch her warm up", or "Let it open your eyes to something that the world WILL NOT even come close to touching", don't be surprised when people put you up on a pedestal. You're placing yourself there. When you outwardly express and believe that you're so much better than everyone else, don't be shocked when you become a target to be beaten. And again, I know it's just words coming from a passionate teen (much like the majority of the unsportsmanlike posts/tweets) but I'm speaking more to the attitude and mindset of our industry in general.

And on a completely unrelated note, the sport they fell in love with three years ago? I am ancient.

Last edited:
Yeah, check out the judging and routines of the top four teams in the Level 3
Small Senior Coed A division. I'll await the disposition of the Fierceboard Judging Panel. I'd just like to get an expert opinion. I mean a Fierce expert opinion.

FYI - Cali added to their routine for Day 2 so here's a link to video for that day.

So what exactly am I looking for or what opinion are you interested in? Who won this division and was it close?

So what exactly am I looking for or what opinion are you interested in? Who won this division and was it close?
Sorry.. just read back and I see that the Cali team won... Can you please provide more info on the division specifically? How close was it, did this team come back from behind? etc;

It was many years ago, but back when WSF had their AC comp as a Nat'l, several NJ gyms were very unhappy with quite a few things. They banded together and boycotted the competition.

Was that the year there was a four way tie for the bid and the four teams had to perform again at midnight? I think Cheertyme was the eventual winner.[/QUOTE]

It was extremely close. Day 1 scoring seemed to be off. Our team was in fourth. Rather than raise issue our team held a couple practices in the hopes of increasing our raw score for Day 2. It worked and they got first place. A change in judges on Day 2 seemed to make a difference as well. I realize that like coaches, parents have unintentional bias. So I was interested in an objective critique of the scoring primarily with the top four teams on Day 1. But also if overall the judging seemed off. I would never raise issue with the scoring because that's the coaches call. And I don't feel the judges showed a particular bias. I haven't even raised the issue with a parent or kid on our team because I don't want to start anything. I'm just interested in another perspective on things.

Also, a lot of people have been circulating that tumblr post from a Smoed member about how disappointed they were to hear some of the things said about them. I see both sides of the issue. I know it sucked to see the some of the mean spirited comments directed towards their team. Everyone has bad days, even a 3x World Champ team. I agree with the general sentiment of the post and a lot of the points in it.

But I find some of the wording interesting. We all know Angel Rice is a beast of a tumbler/athlete in general. But when you say things like "I’m sorry but if I’m not mistaken, your hardest tumbling pass would not even touch her warm up", or "Let it open your eyes to something that the world WILL NOT even come close to touching", don't be surprised when people put you up on a pedestal. You're placing yourself there. When you outwardly express and believe that you're so much better than everyone else, don't be shocked when you become a target to be beaten. And again, I know it's just words coming from a passionate teen (much like the majority of the unsportsmanlike posts/tweets) but I'm speaking more to the attitude and mindset of our industry in general.

And on a completely unrelated note, the sport they fell in love with three years ago? I am ancient.
Criticize a gym. Criticize a team. Criticize a performance. But, why personally attack and make fun of individuals when they have never said or done anything negative to anyone.

I don't view this post as "having an attitude" or putting anyone on a pedestal. What you are reading is this Smo's attempt to defend his teammates. You can sense the frustration in his words. The attack on his teammates has been mean spirited, ruthless and relentless. It is unbelievable how much BS these athletes have to deal with. You would never believe it. For the most part they never respond or attack in return. They realize that a number of things have made them a target in the cheer world. It comes with the territory. But why the personal attacks and slander. They are on SMOED to cheer not smear. Yes, some can appear arrogant (they are taught to be confident which may come off as arrogant but they really aren't), and they too make mistakes in life as we all do. Yet, I have never known any of them to attack another on social media or otherwise.. I won't lie, I've seen things I felt they shouldn't have posted. And they have some things to learn (don't we all). But, is it fair to expect them to be attacked without feeling retaliatory? I'm not excusing anyone's bad behavior. I just understand where this Smo is coming from.

It just means that you were not around when the "I hate when users don't have an avatar" thread was going on - fun times for sure. I actually think that we need a thread like that again!
I must have avoided that thread. Wonder why?

I really don't think that the judges are partial to Texas teams at all. If that were the case then 2 Canadian teams wouldn't have taken home jackets. Also for one of those divisions out of the top three teams 2 of those were Canadian and I can assure you no one got Texas water shipped ;)

On the smoed social media issue I don't feel bad whatsoever for the veterans of smoed. If they can dish it out they better be able to take it. First it was Jenee leaving and that was a sh*tshow of rudeness and then the same when Dylan left and then outburst from E and O...I feel bad for the young team member for what she's going through but at the same time she should have been prepared for that kind of thing with being on a team that is watched like a hawk. If she were on another team I doubt she'd be getting the ignorant vines and tweets about her fall.

Now it's just my opinion but I think 12 is a bit young to be on a senior team anyway. Especially when some of your teammates are 19 because they were 18 before the cut off date...I just don't think at 12 that some kids are ready to be in the spotlight like that if you're in a well known team like Smoed.
For all I know lil Smo is dealing with everything okay. I don't even think she is on social media. But her teammates feel protective of their Smamily member. And they should. Since posting I was told she is actually 13 years old. Does that make a difference ? Ha!

I'd like to address your reference to comments made when Jenee and Dylan left the team but I don't want to open Pandora's box and get things going again. I think if you knew the whole story you might better understand the remarks, right or wrong. There have been some snarky comments made in the past by Smo's that in my opinion shouldn't have been made and seemed unnecessary. And there is a back story for each one that may or may not justify it. Again, there is no excuse for bad behavior.

The gym policy forbids bullying of any sort, social media or otherwise. So, if you are aware of that occurring please notify someone at California All Stars so that it can be dealt with.

For all I know lil Smo is dealing with everything okay. I don't even think she is on social media. But her teammates feel protective of their Smamily member. And they should. Since posting I was told she is actually 13 years old. Does that make a difference ? Ha!

I'd like to address your reference to comments made when Jenee and Dylan left the team but I don't want to open Pandora's box and get things going again. I think if you knew the whole story you might better understand the remarks, right or wrong. There have been some snarky comments made in the past by Smo's that in my opinion shouldn't have been made and seemed unnecessary. And there is a back story for each one that may or may not justify it. Again, there is no excuse for bad behavior.

The gym policy forbids bullying of any sort, social media or otherwise. So, if you are aware of that occurring please notify someone at California All Stars so that it can be dealt with.
i dont get what kind of backstory there is to the jenee and dylan debacle, to justify the treatment they received when they left, regardless of how much or little anyone really knows.

Was that the year there was a four way tie for the bid and the four teams had to perform again at midnight? I think Cheertyme was the eventual winner.
[/QUOTE]
I know my previous gym was one of the boycotters, and had nothing to do with a tie, but I couldn't speak to the other gyms. I actually forgot about all that. Crazy days back then.

I wanted to post this commentary on an injustice that occurred over the weekend... What was up with Smoed's treatment towards Angel Rice?That little girl was overworked and totally collapsed in the middle of her insane 10th tumbling pass (exaggerating)... I was wondering if no one else tumbles on this team...Poor Angel!

PS: USASF must step in and institute a mandate that limits the number of tumbling passes an athlete can do in a routine before they kill Angel....

Last edited:
Back