All-Star New Changes - Divisions For Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm incredibly sorry if I've caused a disagreement with what I said or was misinformed with my opinion in any way. I totally agree with what you are saying and in an ideal world they wouldn't have to create new divisions for shots to be fair in the first place. I guess coming from a very small gym that struggled in the success levels we had over the years, I was very excited to see something that could work in favour generating decent revenues for the smaller programmes again and would finally bring an end to the mass exodus of closures and mergers that have been happening over the last few years.

No disagreement at all. I completely understand. All I have worked in on the cheerleading side have been considered small gyms. Even the largest gym when compared to the so called large and mega gyms today was still on the small side. When I coached gymnastics full time I was for a few years on the mega/large gym side of things so I do see it from both points of view.

The issues that the things that would most likely fix the issue on both sides (more competition for large gyms and competing against like gyms on the small side) would be fixed in great deal by what I suggested. The reason it won't be I am afraid is because of money being made and need to be made to keep certain events going. Saying people (gyms) are afraid of competition or only want easy wins belittles them and the point that they are making. While I get gyms saying they want more competition it is like they have the Rock Dwayne Johnson fighting Napoleon Dynamite week after week, how is that even competition? Yes Napoleon will sneak a blow in every now and then maybe. But to expect him to be on par and equal footing is not realistic.

This change is extremely disappointing. I really would like to know the reasoning behind this decision. Why wouldn’t they just keep it the way it was and give it at least another year to see how it goes. It seemed pretty successful to me the first year. Whenever something new is introduced doesn’t it make sense to wait a few years before changing it again??

(I have no dog in this fight so this is strictly from the outside looking in) Please do not take these questions as argumentative or condescending in any way. I am just trying to understand both sides.

1. What would be your suggestion for D2 gyms in this situation?
2. Would you suggest perhaps a D2 worlds? (similar to how they do summit)
3. Are you for or against leveling the playing field? (by leveling the playing field that means having to compete against big gyms).
4. How do the big gyms (multiple locations) have an unfair advantage over D2 gyms, where those multi-location gyms do NOT have a world's team at each location? Should they not be allowed to field an XS team because one of their other locations (3 hours away in some cases) has a world's team already?
5. How does a multi-location gym have an advantage over a D2 gym when the same rules apply in regards to crossovers? Do you think a rule should be put in place that limits crossovers even more in the XS division?

I think this ultimately helps cheer gym franchises/locations that have much smaller base than their larger main location counterparts. For example, I mean it’s unlikely that stingrays Michigan is sharing athletes with Marietta. Stingrays MI should be able to field an XS team.

(I have no dog in this fight so this is strictly from the outside looking in) Please do not take these questions as argumentative or condescending in any way. I am just trying to understand both sides.

1. What would be your suggestion for D2 gyms in this situation?
2. Would you suggest perhaps a D2 worlds? (similar to how they do summit)
3. Are you for or against leveling the playing field? (by leveling the playing field that means having to compete against big gyms).
4. How do the big gyms (multiple locations) have an unfair advantage over D2 gyms, where those multi-location gyms do NOT have a world's team at each location? Should they not be allowed to field an XS team because one of their other locations (3 hours away in some cases) has a world's team already?
5. How does a multi-location gym have an advantage over a D2 gym when the same rules apply in regards to crossovers? Do you think a rule should be put in place that limits crossovers even more in the XS division?

I saw it suggested on twitter and I believe it could be a compromise in the case of franchise gyms that don't have worlds teams at each location. The Extra Small division being for a gym that can only field a SINGLE worlds team at their location. This does not go in line with the rest of the franchise but the rest of the location itself. Yes people would argue that it would still be unfair as it does not allow the other big gyms to field teams when they have the capacity too, but it would at least incorporate franchise expansions in whilst keeping in line with the traditional format that the division debuted in.

I think this ultimately helps cheer gym franchises/locations that have much smaller base than their larger main location counterparts. For example, I mean it’s unlikely that stingrays Michigan is sharing athletes with Marietta. Stingrays MI should be able to field an XS team.
exaaaaccctly! That's how I see it. The mega gym is not going to dismantle their successful teams to make new little ones. I don't see the appeal in that and doubt it would happen. But take Fame for instance, they have 9 locations, but our beach gym doesn't have a world's team at all. All of the kids who tried out for world's teams have to travel 2 hours to Richmond for practice (supers/vengeance/notorious). The beach gym is PACKED with talent but not everyone can travel 2 hours a day for practices in Richmond AND have space enough for all of the level 5 skills between the 2/3 locations. Why shouldn't they be allowed to field an XS team at beach? That's just an example. I have NO clue what they're teams will look like this year so this is all just ideas.

not a fan of the change tbh. I thought the XS division was a great change to help smaller gyms who have true level 5 athletes, be able to accomplish what every other mega gym accomplishes, but i can see the XS division in coming years be flooded with mega gyms, and the smaller programs being pushed out.
i dont see bigger gyms, dismantling large teams to field a XS team, but i can see why smaller gyms might be upset by this change.
i dont understand why they wouldnt give it more then a year, and im curious to know why the change was made.

@ACEDAD brought up a very valid point on twitter - why in the world is someone other than USASF the one to communicate their changes?

I was never a fan of a division that has restrictions being able to hold the same title as the standard divisions. We have an event for D2. Why not make the industry consistent and hold D2 Worlds in conjuction with Summit?

Given all of the changes along with the current ratio rules, it made no sense to create a new division. USASF should have kept the small division capped at 20 and called it a day.

I will be interested to see what the open division rules will consist of.

The USASF communicated with their member gyms at 2:00 pm EST today, we published our article for the public shortly after (or we'd be left at gym to parent communication to update the industry on what was released today).

The USASF communicated with their member gyms at 2:00 pm EST today, we published our article for the public shortly after (or we'd be left at gym to parent communication to update the industry on what was released today).

I don’t mind that you tweeted it and grateful you did. I’m just continuing my fight with USASF about transparency.

Going off the whole "Olympic status"...
I considered XS division to be the equivalent of TOPS and Diamonds in USGA. TOPS is not meant for big gyms that are already a National Training facility (i.e. they have already produced elite gymnasts competing at a National level), it was meant for Susie's Midwest Gymnastics to properly train their coaches and gymnasts to eventually reach that level of WOGA. It opened doors for small gym talent to be exposed to a broader base of skill teaching. The XS division allows small gyms to get exposed to major competition while helping them attract more talent to eventually "graduate" out into the world of CA and TG.
I think if they are going to open up to big gym franchises then they need to put a restriction on distance between a franchise and their next location with a Worlds team. For example, if Gym location A has 2 Worlds teams and their next location is under an hour away, they can't field an XS at location B. Not putting a restriction could feasibly allow a gym like CA with two locations close to each other (Frisco/Plano) field an XS at Frisco while pulling talent from Plano (don't come for me I am only using them as an example because they have 2 locations near each other).
You know what else is ridiculous....small open 5 and large open 5 vs. senior small coed and senior large coed....just why?

I don’t mind that you tweeted it and grateful you did. I’m just continuing my fight with USASF about transparency.
Agreed. I actually have a lot of respect for someone who has the confidence from pretty much every part of the industry - from EPs to gyms to the governing body. It's just a strange way for the governing body to communicate things.

So wouldn't that be an IOC small and large? And if they are doing a non-International Open 5...what is the difference between the 2?
My knowledge of this is that the USASF divisions are Senior and Open and the IASF divisions are International Senior and International Open

Back