All-Star "new" Coed Dismount

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Acro gymnasts also throw baskets but catch athletes back in the load position on the basket. While I think it's great that they can slow the toss that much to catch safely like that, it does make my knuckles cry at the thought, even if there are no shoes.

Acro gymnasts also throw baskets but catch athletes back in the load position on the basket. While I think it's great that they can slow the toss that much to catch safely like that, it does make my knuckles cry at the thought, even if there are no shoes.

They used to be a legal skill (we called them re-grabs) for a single year. When I coached the University of Waterloo team we had a pair of them in our routine. Layout -> re-grab -> Layout-full. Learning them was a bit hard initally but the two keys were for the flyer to really spot the landing and then look forwards as she made contact with the bases' shoulders before being thrown again -- and for the bases, make contact with the feet as high as possible and smoothly slow her down before launching again. By the end of the year both groups were throwing Layout-full -> re-grab -> Layout-double baskets, however they were never as synchronized as the simpler combo.

There was one memorable practice during the first few weeks of learning to land the Layout-full in the upright position. Everything looked good but I guess one of the guys lost his grip on the other's wrist as she was reaching for their shoulders (at that point the two main bases are already starting to squat down and have their joined hands between them about navel level). The next thing you see is four big guys laying on their backs with her standing on the floor in the middle of them looking around a little confused. Funny but scary at the same time. Seems most of the force was transfered to the boys already and when their grip broke none of them could handle the unexpected push outwards. She said that it felt like she had just landed on the floor from jumping off a chair rather than some 20+ feet in the air.

They used to be a legal skill (we called them re-grabs) for a single year. When I coached the University of Waterloo team we had a pair of them in our routine. Layout -> re-grab -> Layout-full. Learning them was a bit hard initally but the two keys were for the flyer to really spot the landing and then look forwards as she made contact with the bases' shoulders before being thrown again -- and for the bases, make contact with the feet as high as possible and smoothly slow her down before launching again. By the end of the year both groups were throwing Layout-full -> re-grab -> Layout-double baskets, however they were never as synchronized as the simpler combo.

There was one memorable practice during the first few weeks of learning to land the Layout-full in the upright position. Everything looked good but I guess one of the guys lost his grip on the other's wrist as she was reaching for their shoulders (at that point the two main bases are already starting to squat down and have their joined hands between them about navel level). The next thing you see is four big guys laying on their backs with her standing on the floor in the middle of them looking around a little confused. Funny but scary at the same time. Seems most of the force was transfered to the boys already and when their grip broke none of them could handle the unexpected push outwards. She said that it felt like she had just landed on the floor from jumping off a chair rather than some 20+ feet in the air.
This whole post sounds insane to me...

ETA: and I mean that in a "oh my gosh that would be so terrifying to try and catch" kind of way

you can't say all that and not include a video....

you can't say all that and not include a video....

Ok. I dug through my files and the only one I have is rather poor quality. It's from Dec 2003. Looking at it now I remember that we were not 100% with the layout -> re-grab -> layout-full so went with the tuck -> re-grab -> layout-full. The team had started working on the skill in August of that year, when we first heard it was going to be legal.

They are on the either side and thrown at the 48 sec mark of the video.

Ok. I dug through my files and the only one I have is rather poor quality. It's from Dec 2003. Looking at it now I remember that we were not 100% with the layout -> re-grab -> layout-full so went with the tuck -> re-grab -> layout-full. The team had started working on the skill in August of that year, when we first heard it was going to be legal.

They are on the either side and thrown at the 48 sec mark of the video.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG.

2-1-1 paper dolls. There's no way that's legal now. Awesome!

Back