All-Star New Nca Rule. No Sandbagging!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

By USASF competition, I assume they mean any sanctioned competition?

I get what you're saying but a coach could easily say that for their first competition their team "just isn't ready yet" and then for NCA "well if we want to be competitive we should drop a level". I really do love this rule, just trying to play devil's advocate here :)

No I understand, but I also think that excuse works for one year. If this is (and I think it should be a permanent rule for all competitions with the word 'Nationals' in it) permanent then the year after the coach won't be able to pull the same shenanigans with the parents. The rule defeating strategy will be self limiting.

I think you should have to compete in one division all year...like sign up for that level at the beginning of the year. Obv if you start as large and lose kids, you can move to small but I see teams do this all the time- dropping 1 or 2 levels for the big comps just to win and it is heartbreaking for the teams who are legitimately in those lower divisions.

it is very hard to police all competitions as there is no system for it yet. this is an excellent AND low cost start.

Does anyone know what the penalty will be if you are deemed to be 'sandbagging'? I read the letter from Justin Carrier and didn't see it mentioned (unless I just missed it because I am tired).

PS - I have spent the past hour thinking of every way to defeat the rule. What I really want to know is can anyone come up with a way I didn't think of?

Does anyone know what the penalty will be if you are deemed to be 'sandbagging'? I read the letter from Justin Carrier and didn't see it mentioned (unless I just missed it because I am tired).

I imagine that is a TBD. See how the public likes it and figure out how to approach. I don't think disqualify... I think hit with an illegality so winning is an impossibility.

Love the idea but this is so easy to get around. For example, there are plenty of tiny, local competitions to compete at that are only 1-2 weeks before NCA for you to take your team/teams to and drop a level. A coach can send in their registration months before and as long as they compete just once before NCA at the lower level, it's a done deal. I can only hope that eventually this rule turns into "you must compete at the same level all year. You declare a level and you stay there...period.

I imagine that is a TBD. See how the public likes it and figure out how to approach. I don't think disqualify... I think hit with an illegality so winning is an impossibility.
I thought they might go for a harsh penalty like disqualification to put any teams off doing it in future years and to show that they are serious about it (sort of like making an example of them to others)

PS - I have spent the past hour thinking of every way to defeat the rule. What I really want to know is can anyone come up with a way I didn't think of?
Invent a machine that transports your entire team into an alternate reality where Justin Carrier wins the lottery 2 days before he takes his job with NCA, he retires instead, and this rule is never thought of.

As an industry, we've never sent a message to athletes, coaches and parents that we frown upon sandbagging. The value in this rule isn't going to be the enforcement onsite, it's going to be that we have an official position out there that sandbagging isn't good.

Many of you immediately began thinking of the different ways around this policy, and I appreciate those comments. Keep them coming so we're prepared for any scenario that weekend. But even if a couple of teams get around the policy, that number is overshadowed by both the teams that had to deliberately move to another USASF Level early to prove their legitimacy (and defend that decision to their customers, the parents) and the teams that decided against dropping levels as they had planned because they came across this policy.

I am beyond thrilled with this!! This has ALWAYS been a big pet peeve of mine. I know of so many teams that have done this. Good job Justin Carrier!!
And @kingston - omg your avatar!!! LOVE IT!!!

By USASF competition, I assume they mean any sanctioned competition?
No, we will not require that the competition be sanctioned. Many member event producers run non-sanctioned events and the differences between sanctioned and non-sanctioned events don't really affect this policy.

Back